1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any deals for roamios or ota roamios anytime soon?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by ThomasHarris83, Apr 16, 2018.

1. ThomasHarris83

ThomasHarris83 New Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Greetings Tivo Community,

Trying to decide whether to keep my roamio 500gb tuner (been paying monthly since I have no lifetime), or switch to something like direct tv now or the homerun prime? My home needs two tuners, so I'm deciding which way to go, should I stay on to my roamio or wait for any good deals like promotion pricing on the lifetime or just buy another roamio with lifetime?

2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    For cable or OTA?

The Roamio OTA with included Lifetime at around $400 (has been less) is a great (relatively speaking) deal. One also can do a fairly easy mod to it to add a cablecard adapter one way or another (adding a minimally-modded adapter piece or a completed assembly from another box or purchased on eBay--there is a thread here on that).

For the past few years, TiVo also has had nice Nov.-Dec. holiday sales deals.

ThomasHarris83 likes this.
  3. ThomasHarris83

ThomasHarris83 New Member

Apr 16, 2018
    For cable. I've seen the ota roamio for $300 somewhere, but not sure if that was a valid deal? I've also see the ceton turner but have no idea how that works. I've narrowed it down to 3 options:

Option A: TIVO route
    $500 lifetime + mini + moca = $700
    *easy to use, expensive to me for setup

Option B: Homerun Prime
    $125 unit + $100 for android boxes = $225
    *learning curve for family and obstacles to setup.

Option C: Direct TV Now
    $115 for 2 fire tvs (promotion going on) + $39/month (this is minus cable fee I pay + the extra to get channels like own, bravo tv).
    *cheapest route, but higher monthly cost for cable, plus wondering will this eat up my data for two tvs connected via ethernet?

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I think you forgot some points on this option. They install it. If it breaks, they fix it. Weather could be a factor. Probably a better picture.

True, internet and streaming need to be considered. Only you can decide how much that matters. For a family it's not just you.

I'm going to speculate that networking will be a factor no matter which way you move.

5. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    DirectvNow is via cable not satellite.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  7. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    If you've been paying a monthly subscription for 2 or more years, you could try to call Tivo and ask for $ 199-lifetime service on the Roamio and upgrade to a 3TB hard drive and buy a mini.

rdrrepair likes this.
  8. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Or, Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Threaten to cancel paying your subscription because of pricing. Let them know what you're thinking in regards to the other two scenarios. Several members have reported the $199 offer for lifetime when they went that route. Others have reported reduction in their monthly subscription fees. Of course, your mileage may vary.