Any deal to replace S3 with Elite?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jscozz, Jan 6, 2012.

1. jscozz

jscozz Member

Sep 28, 2002
    I have an S3 that is about dead with lifetime on it. Looking to replace with Elite. I remember Tivo used to run deals to transfer lifetime for like $100... do they do that any more? I just can't see spending over $900 to buy an elite and new lifetime.

2. mchiles

mchiles Member

Jul 13, 2007
    If the hard drive is dying in your Seres 3. Get a new hard drive. You probably can get several more years of use out of it.

However... If you are looking for an way to offset the cost of a new Elite....

With a working hard drive, Tivo Series 3 units (the ones with the OLED front display) with Lifetime TiVo Subscriptions sell for $300 to $600 on ebay. (depending on size of hard drive and accessories)

I nearly paid for my recent Elite purchase ($450 + tax) by recently selling my 250GB Series 3 on ebay for $425 Buy it Now. (I should have asked for more $)

Yes, I had to buy a new Lifetime for the Elite. But with the four tuners, 2TB hard drive and iPad integration, it was worth it.

Enjoy,

3. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    What is wrong with your S3 and do you want to sell it? (Do you mean OLED S3?) I have a 'dead' S3 that I would like to resuscitate (at least after I make sure I can resuscitate the hard drive).

4. jscozz

jscozz Member

Sep 28, 2002
    Yes. S3 with the display in the front showing the name of the show that is recording. Original hard drive inside, 1 TB eSata plugged in.

I am not sure if the problem is with the internal or eSata. I am going to go through the KickStart codes tonight and see what I get. The S3 just restarts itself periodically... sometimes goes days without a restart... sometimes a few in an hour.

I'm sure I could get it working with a new drive... or may be even a reformat of the current drive... or may be just removing the external if the problem is with the external drive... but I would really like to jump to the Elite... I would definitely go for it if Tivo had the old deal to transfer the lifetime for $100 or so...

Just seems to me that it is beneficial to keep all Tivo users up on the latest hardware... and if they can make a small profit on the hardware... and give lifetime subscribers a reasonable transfer fee that makes Tivo money, then why not? The alternative is to NOT get that additional revenue if I stay on my current box. And then all the competing boxes look more appealing to me.