Any chance of being able to stream tivo to iPad?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rogmatic, Oct 21, 2011.

1. rogmatic

rogmatic Member

Sep 17, 2009
    I would love to be able to control and watch my tivo on my iPad without a separate box (like slingbox). Is there any chance of this happening? If so, would it be available with the premiere/elite or would it only be available on the next generation of tivo?

2. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Doubt it. I don't think they like to do transcoding on the Tivo box.

There's a lot of details to get right, particularly if you want to take the iPad outside the confines of your home and stream it over the Internet with bandwidth and latency properties that vary widely.

Nevertheless, if they could even just get something cool that worked over home wifi, it would be pretty nifty.

3. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    I know I was asked about that in a survey from Tivo in the past. So there is some hope.

4. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Better hope would be for an official Android application....

Either way, I agree it is unlikely, unfortunately, that tablets will have direct streaming of TiVo content.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    iPad only supports H.264. In the US all content broadcast OTA and via cable are MPEG-2. So TiVo would have to do on the fly recoding to support iPad streaming and it does not have the hardware necessary to do that.

Android app would pose the same challenge unless the Android has a built in MPEG-2 decoder.

Dan

6. rogmatic

rogmatic Member

Sep 17, 2009
    I will admit to knowing nothing about technical matters, but if Slingbox can do it it seems like the Tivo machine could be made to do it as well. It sounds like it would take more than a simple software fix though.

7. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    True

Load the player called "Moboplayer" in Android and you can play just about any format of video or music: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.clov4r.android.nil&hl=en it links to the excellent free and open FFMpeg libraries, which does support MPEG-2. I have already tested Dolby 5.1, so that wouldn't be a problem either.

8. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Not at all. Trying to transcode from one video codec requires a tremendous amount of CPU power, something that no TiVo has. TiVo is not "encoding" anything on the Premiere, just storing pre-compressed video data streams, which is super easy. It then plays back video using hardware accelerated decompression chips.

9. hammer32

hammer32 TiVo Combat Crew

Jul 4, 2001
    North America
    The SlingBox does a great job of streaming my TiVo, but I'm surprised TiVo hasn't built a box that also streams to mobile devices. Worried about what the cable partners would think?

10. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Umm, couldn't they (TiVo) do their own software-based MPEG-2 decoding? or are you claiming it's not fast enough? (I'm not claiming it IS.)

As for the Slingbox comment, the slingbox has HARDWARE to do the transcoding, just like older TiVos have hardware to digitize analog channels into MPEG 2.

11. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Sure the TiVo can easily do MPEG-2 *de*coding. And that doesn't have to be done in software, since it has specialized hardware to do it- using little CPU time.

The Premiere is not fast enough to *en*code anything, which is what would be necessary to push video in a different codec to a device that needed the video transcoded. It has no special hardware to do it and nowhere near fast enough CPU to do it in any reasonable time (like many, many, many hours per hour), much less REAL time, which is what would be needed for streaming.

A better question would be if the ipad or an Android tablet would have enough CPU to transcode.... and the answer is "no" to that also. The problem is that current tablets have little to no chance to be able to decode and display HD video in software; meaning the tablet MUST support hardware assisted decoding of the format/codecs being pushed to it.

12. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Sure it does. It has mpeg2 hardware encoders needed to record analog channels.

13. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
  14. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    You know what I meant- I meant one for encoding to something other than mpeg2. Also, besides being limited to mpeg2, they are SD only.

15. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Yes, a variety of shops have created iOS video decoders. For example, the original Slingbox iPhone app plays back the WMV stream and I've got my HDHomeRun Prime streaming what I assume is MPEG2 to my iPad.

16. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I may have misread the original question when I responded above. No, they can't do it ON the TiVo. But if he was asking if TiVo (the company) could develop a codec for a tablet that would play mpeg2, the answer is yes (like you indicate) (plus it has been done before).

However, without hardware mpeg2 decoding in a tablet, I doubt it would be able to handle display of *HD* video mpeg2 streams in software.

17. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    I agree that it would probably struggle... the El Gato HDHomeRun app currently only displays SD digital cable channels, although they tell me they're working on HD - at least 720. Also, they pitch the app as iPad 2 compatible only, presumably given the extra CPU power.

18. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I believe that crxssi is correct that neither the TiVo or the iPad have enough horsepower to pull that off... A solution that would work is to build the functionality into TiVo desktop.

All of the iPad streaming video apps currently use this approach and it uses a video "server" on a client PC to compress and distribute the content to the iPad.

TiVo already has a PC component in TiVo desktop and already has the server functionality in Bonjour - This approach would be unbelievably simple to implement.

As a matter of fact - I think this is something the pytivo guys could do right away without even waiting on TiVo! :)

19. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I was just thinking the same thing. I would love to be able to easily stream from pyTiVo to my Android Xoom :)

20. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    VERY unlikely. If Tivo were going to do this, I assume they would have made the Sling rights part of the settlement with Dish earlier this year.