Antenna Question

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by CPTPez, Jan 3, 2006.

1. CPTPez

CPTPez Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Columbia, SC

Advertisements

I am purchasing a HD receiver but will have to get local HD programming OTA.

Here are my specs from antenna web:

* yellow - uhf WRLK-DT 35.1 PBS COLUMBIA SC 14° 7.0 32
    * yellow - vhf WOLO-DT 25.1 ABC COLUMBIA SC 64° 12.7 8
    * yellow - uhf WBHQ-DT 38.1 WB SUMTER SC 64° 12.7 39
    * yellow - uhf WLTX-DT 19.1 CBS COLUMBIA SC 69° 12.1 17
    * yellow - uhf WIS-DT 10.1 NBC COLUMBIA SC 63° 13.4 41
    * yellow - uhf WACH-DT 57.1 FOX COLUMBIA SC 64° 12.7 48

All of the networks' are approx. 12 - 13 miles away. All but ABC are UHF (ABC being VHF. There are no hills/mountains/tall buildings int he way.

With the exception fo PBS (with which I am not concerned), the direction of all of them is in the 63 - 69 degree range.

My Questions:

Should I add an antenna to the dish? If so what make/model?

Can I make due with a set top antenna (and if so, ill it need readjusting every time i change the channel)?

thanks

2. SleepyBob

SleepyBob Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Being all yellow, and not too far away, there is a good chance you can pick things up fine with a generic set-top antenna. All but PBS are in the same general direction, so you probably wouldn't need to readjust when you change channels. The key is finding the "sweet spot" of antenna location/orientation for all channels by using the signal strength meter in the receiver. Hopefully you can find a middle ground that lets you get them all (e.g. 45 degrees), otherwise you might give up on PBS in order to get solid reception without fiddling on the others.

3. CPTPez

CPTPez Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Columbia, SC
    I'm willing to admit that I'm not a big PBS watcher so i'm thinking that ill set it to all of the others and forget about locking in pbs as well.

What is a good set top model - should I try the Silver Sensor? Willthat one cover both uhf and vhf?

4. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I'm seeing one station (ABC) at channel 8 and the rest in the UHF range, correct? If so, I believe the SS could handle that, given you are as close as you say. Give 'er a try; if it doesn't work, return it.

5. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004

Advertisements

Try the SS. Peak for the PBS channel and hopefully the rest will come in as well. Next I would try a distribution amp, hopefully with a variable output (or with a variable attenuator on the output) and hopefully with an FM trap. Next step would be a 4221, which is a little less directional than a 4228 (to account for the spread).