Antenna (OTA) and Distribution Amp = No "Live TV"

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rc60477, May 17, 2011.

1. rc60477

rc60477 New Member

Mar 14, 2009
    "Live TV" will not work after I install a distribution amplifier between antenna (OTA) and TiVo Premier. "Live TV" does work when I remove the distribution amplifer.

I tried two different distribution amplifiers with TiVo Premier without success: Channel Master 3410 (15db gain) and Winegard HDA-200 (24db gain)

However, both these amplifiers work if I install them between antenna and TV (without the TiVo).

I have contacted TiVo support, and they gave me the standard brush off by asking me for dianostics info (e.g. take an aspirin and call me in the morning), completely ignoring my comment that my TV ATSC tuner accepts the signal from both of these amplifiers successfully, but TiVo will not.

I need an amplifier to remove the pixelation from some of my weaker stations.

Anyone else with same problem and does anyone have a solution?

2. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Double check that you have the coax going into the ANT input not the Cable in on the back of the Premiere.

How many devices(Splitters) do you have connected to the antenna? 24db is a lot of gain you may be overloading the tuner.

It has been awhile since I had an antenna hooked up is there a signal strength for antenna input for the premiere?

3. KCcardsfan

KCcardsfan New Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Mine works just fine. Maybe it is hooked up wrong. Do you get NO signal or a worse signal? There are things like multi-path that can be made worse by an amplifier.

4. rc60477

rc60477 New Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Problem resolved. Case closed.

I tried one more time to install Channel Master 3410 (15db gain) between Antenna and Tivo, and "Live TV" now works.

Why it works now? I have no idea. Maybe between powering down/up both TiVo and amplifier, something got fixed.

No chance of 15db gain being too "hot", because it never gained 15db.

Specs on my strongest station, 5-1 (NBC). I live about 28-30 miles from transmitter:

Old Signal Strength: 77
    New Signal Strength: 81

Old SNR = 30db
    New SNR = 31db

Even though I am happy I got some improvement, I am disappointed by the fact that I have an expensive Channel Master antenna and an amplifier hooked up to my TiVo Premiere (series4) and my strongest station is still weaker than my TiVo HD (series 3) which is hooked up to a cheap antenna:

Channnel 5.1 on TiVo Premier (series 4): Single Strength = 81
    Channnel 5.1 on TiVo HD (series 3): Single Strength = 91

5. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    If it's a 15dB amp, then you're gaining 15 dB.

Don't forget, the signal strength number is not a raw signal strength measurement. It's a signal quality number that is calculated.

And if you're getting an actual signal to noise ratio number, that may not change much either since the signal and the noise are both amplified.

You really don't have good tools to do a real analysis of the actual gain in the signal.

6. rc60477

rc60477 New Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Hefe, you really don't know what your talking about. And, you missed the boat on this thread.

It never fails that some wise guy always thinks he needs to add his two cents worth after the problem is already resolved.

7. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Oh please. Get over it.

I know what I'm talking about, you just missed the intent, apparently. You said "No chance of 15db gain being too "hot", because it never gained 15db." and I just told you that you can't say that definitively based on the data you posted. Sorry for trying to reassure you that the amp was probably doing what it was designed to do.

If you don't want people participating in a discussion thread after your "trouble ticket" is closed, then have a mod lock it. :rolleyes:

8. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Another thing to note -

Premier: Programmed in Stagecraft (Flash)
    TiVo HD: Programmed in C

It's probable that the signal strength function is programmed differently, accounting for the different numbers. I'll use the analogy of mph and kph. So while the TiVo HD is going 88 kph, the Premiere is going 55 mph, and both are travelling at the same speed. Judge the quality of the picture, not the signal strength number.

9. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    The signal strength number may also depend on hardware. The Premiere uses a different (and better, IMHO) demodulator chip than the TiVo HD. Judge reception by the picture quality and by the count of uncorrected errors shown in DVR Diagnostics.