antenna for roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by James7348, Jun 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. James7348

James7348 New Member

Jun 1, 2020
    Been having problems with my Roamio losing channels and ones I do get sometimes breaking up. Spoke to one of their techs and he said I need an antenna that can deal with the multiple tuners, but he couldn't recommend one. Can any one suggest a digital antenna that will work well with the TiVO?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Any antenna will work. There is no such thing as an antenna for multiple tuners only, they all do the same. It has to do with the signal strength. It would be slightly weaker as its split within the Roamio 4-6 tuners compared to a TV which only has 1 tuner.

3. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    Broadcast TV is undergoing something called "repack" where many stations need to change to different frequencies. This often means different antennas and periods of lower-power operation from temporary antennas mounted lower on the towers. There are not enough tower crews to handle all the stations at the same time and COVID has mage it worse. Research the specific stations in question.
    This whole repack thrash was to make room for more cell frequencies.

4. Rick_E

Rick_E New Member

Aug 25, 2019
    Yes, TV channels breaking up is a sign the signal to the TiVo is not strong enough, particularly if being split between multiple tuners. You don't say what type of antenna you are using, but here are some guidelines in case they may help you.

For locations relatively close to transmitting towers with the antenna mounted outside, I've had good luck with small antennas such as the "Solid Signal Xtreme Signal HDB2X High Definition Indoor/Outdoor 2-Bay VHF/UHF Antenna" for $27.95 on Amazon.

More tips: Use a high quality RG-6 cable, which will reduce signal loss from the antenna to your TiVo.

Avoid passive splitters, such as those used to run the signal to a second TV.

Weak marginal signals are usually not helped by "signal boosters" because they add in even more noise. On the other hand, if you have a strong clean signal you need to split several ways, a quality distribution amp may help.

Antennas placed inside the house are hampered by the signal having to pass through walls and other construction materials. This is particularly true for channels transmitting on the UHF frequencies, which most are nowdays. Antennas placed in the attic may work better, but the signal may still be reduced by as much as 50% by having to pass through outside walls and other construction materials such as roofs and foil-backed insulation. Antennas mounted outside usually work the best even if they are not very high, for example strapped to a chimney.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020