Antenna for OTA HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Bill McNeal, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Sep 6, 2007 #1 of 18
    Bill McNeal

Bill McNeal Member

May 31, 2002
    I am in the Bay Area, and am interested in getting an antenna for OTA HD. I'm looking at the Terk HDTVa indoor amplified antenna for both value and power.

For now, it will be switched input with my Series 2, as I'm not ready to make the leap to TiVo HD.

Anyone have any experiences with this, or have particular recommendations for OTA antennas?

Thanks!

2. Sep 6, 2007 #2 of 18
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  3. Sep 7, 2007 #3 of 18
    funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    My old roof antennae works fine for OTA HD broadcasts.

4. Sep 7, 2007 #4 of 18
    jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
  5. Sep 7, 2007 #5 of 18
    Status

Status New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    I'm running a DB2 inside my attic in the Seattle area and it gives me great reception about 18 miles from the source. I'm not on top of a huge hill, but my elevation gives me good line of sight...eg, I'm not in a valley/hole.

-Status

6. Sep 7, 2007 #6 of 18
    richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    I have that very antenna and it works quite well for us. We bought it on Amazon. We're about 11 miles from the local "antenna farm" and all of the local stations come in clearly. We have a three story house and it's on the second story. The higher up we put it, the better the reception is. Some have theirs in an attic for best reception. The only downside for us is that our PBS station decided to build their antenna in a different location. When we watch PBS HD we have to shift the antenna slightly. I’m sure if we had a full-on outdoor antenna that would probably not be the case.

That said, we’re on Comcast and usually watch everything on cable but I wanted to have a “backup”. I also heard that the PQ of HD OTA was better than the compressed signal cable generates. To be honest, I can’t really see much difference, but again an outdoor antenna might make a difference.

7. Sep 7, 2007 #7 of 18
    JPA2825

JPA2825 Member

May 15, 2000
    Ft. Thomas,...
    Can someone help me with this problem? I currently have to have digital cable to get the HD channels through my provider. However, I don't really use the digital channels. Could I get an OTA antenna to pull in my HD channels and dump the digital cable package? The above website says I'm only 10 miles from most of the DT antennas in Cincinnati.

If the above answer is YES, the TiVo HD could easily be justified to the wife based on the cost savings alone of dropping the digital cable package. Getting to dump the under-reliable Moto DVR would be an added bonus.

8. Sep 7, 2007 #8 of 18
    tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005
    I like the terk hdtva it works very good. But im using the Winegard SS-3000 Sharp Shooter now seems to do better. The best antenna you can get is a DB2. Its a outdoor antenna But alot of people use them in doors.

9. Sep 7, 2007 #9 of 18
    cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    Don't get the Terk. Buy the non-amplified Zenith Silver Sensor instead. It's better. I've owned both.

10. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I believe that would be a yes!

11. fred2

fred2 Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Wallingford, here. I recently put up the DB2 but outside but not that high - a bit acrophobic. I actually could probably get a higher location in the attic except dealing with all the insulation makes getting to the area of the high point a real pain. But the DB2 works inside, well? It might be worth the breathing problems. I'd like to pull in digital channels 12 and 28

It actually replaced the seemingly very directional TerkHD (amp-ed) and reception is better.

12. Status

Status New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Go to www.antennaweb.org and enter your zipcode to see what sort of OTA coverage you have. That should give you a good idea as to how far you are from sources and their directions. If you are close 20-30 miles and plan on locating your antenna on your roof, you can get a DB2 or go to Radio Shack and pick up a roof mount (AVS Forums has a lot of info on cheap antennas and what to use). I opted to be somewhat lazy and go with www.antennasdirect.com , just because they got good reviews from AVS users and had a helpful site. If you are more then 30miles from the broadcast source, I'd suggest using Antennas Direct and getting some of their medium or long range options for OTA.

-Status

13. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    If you are only 10 miles away, get an antenna ASAP! You will not regret it - better PQ and no fees. For that distance, a small table top indoor antenna will do fine, so very little setup work required. I used this from about 15 miles away, with no problems: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Phil...sem/rpsm/oid/158312/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

14. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Yes, yes, yes.....do NOT get the Jerk antenna. They are horrible. And, even at only 10 miles, I would mount an outside antenna. You lose half your signal with an indoor antenna. And I don't wanna hear you whine about how bad it looks, or the hassle putting it up....blah...blah... ;) You will NEVER regret putting up an outside antenna for OTA HD.

15. old64mb

old64mb New Member

Apr 11, 2005
    The big two antennas for the central Bay Area are Mount Sutro (aka the TV tower) in San Francisco proper and the San Bruno mountain tower. Both of those primarily use UHF frequencies for the HD signals, and a good OTA antenna for HD signals in UHF may not do a darned thing for your VHF reception with your Series 2.

Your HD results will also vary dramatically depending on if you have a line-of-sight to those towers. Otherwise it gets far more sketchy. Where in the Bay Area are you?

My personal advice is wait until you upgrade to an HD capable receiver. You're in an entirely new world once you switch over, and it may take 4-5 antennas before you find one that works well for you. The HDTVa was my second, and I got a grand total of 2 more channels with it than the 3' piece of cable included with the S3. Next stop, SS-3000. After that, maybe the DB2.

16. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    I stuck an old school radio shack roof antenna in my attic, works GREAT..!

17. mportuesi

mportuesi As seen on TV

Nov 10, 2002
    San...
    The original poster should also be aware there's a Yahoo! group devoted to HDTV in the San Francisco Bay Area. There's lots of antenna geeks on there, as well as engineers from some of the local TV stations.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/HDTV-in-SFbay/

18. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Sounds like you may have had a bad experience with a Terk antenna. Our experience has been quite the opposite. The Terk antenna works perfectly fine for HD - interior, second floor, 11 miles from the antenna farm.

The position that an outside antenna will trump any indoor antenna is elementary...I don't think anyone would argue with that.