Antenna/CableCard Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by gkottner, Jun 10, 2020.

1. gkottner

gkottner Member

Jun 5, 2010
    West...
    I have a friend that has the 4 tuner Roamio that can either do cable or OTA. She's looking to lower her Spectrum bill and has found out that if she drops TV for a month, she can come back as a new subscriber even though she is keeping her internet. What I'm looking to find out is can we switch the TiVo to OTA and still leave the cablecard in the TiVo. I do realize that we won't pull any cable channels and have to hook up an antenna. I don't want to chance turning the card in and then Spectrum being "unable" to find a new one.

Before we cancel TV, we're going to try and see if Spectrum Choice will work with a cablecard. I've seen mixed reports on that.

Finally she has absolutely no interest in switching to any streaming service for live TV. I have been suggesting that for over a year with no success. If she can't watch something through her TiVo, she won't watch it. And based on forum reports, she may be the only person in the world that has no problems streaming Netflix and Hulu on her TiVo.

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Yes, you can leave the card in and switch to OTA. And Spectrum Choice works fine with cable card. I did it for a couple of years. It even adjusts all your one-passes to the new channels (and back) automatically. Who has said otherwise, and were they talking about the "Spectrum TV Choice" package or some other Spectrum streaming package?

The reason I don't have Choice anymore is the nickel and diming. It's nowhere near $25 after all the bogus fees get tacked on.

I wouldn't say Netflix and Hulu have problems on Tivo, just that they suck. Hulu app, for example, is very old an lacks many features that the current app has, mainly profiles.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that when your friend cancels cable for a whole month, Spectrum is going to want the card and TA back or will charge her the replacement cost. So leaving it in any longer than your OTA test really isn't an option.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Most cable companies will charge you if you fail to return the card. A lot.

gkottner likes this.
  4. gkottner

gkottner Member

Jun 5, 2010
    West...
    Thanks for the info. Her renewal date is the 30th, so we plan on trying Choice before then. With fees, it should come in just under $40 a month for Choice. That's better than the new customer rate of $45 a month plus added fees. At the Spectrum store, one employee said it wouldn't work with a CC and another said it should. They also said they (the store) couldn't set up the change to Choice. We'd have to call someone. Do you remember your setup process?

I'm aware that Spectrum may try to charge for the CC and tuning adapter. She currently doesn't use the tuning adapter as there were no SDV channels she needed. There actually are helpful people at our Spectrum store in Cincinnati, so if we end up cancelling for a month, I'll ask if we can just keep the CC and they can charge us the $2 for the skipped month.

I'll post how it works.

5. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Since Choice got me 10 channels for about $40 but Youtube TV got 70-ish channels for $50, I went the YTTV route. No Tivo required.

Spectrum employees are completely clueless about cable card. You can't trust anything they say.

Back when I had Choice, you could only get it through retention (the last person you get when you try to cancel). So I think when you go through the cancellation process, they'll give you the option for Choice if the front line sales people won't do it.

Even if they tell you to keep the card, don't believe it. It would be unprecedented for any cable company to allow your to cancel and keep the equipment based on a verbal agreement. It's not worth the risk IMO.

6. gkottner

gkottner Member

Jun 5, 2010
    West...
    I agree that YTTV would be the perfect solution. But she's a TiVo addict and there's no chance of changing her mind as long as her TiVo works. :D

7. gkottner

gkottner Member

Jun 5, 2010
    West...
    As promised, I have a resolution on this. My friend and I called Spectrum and asked to change the plan to Spectrum Choice. The agent asked why and we explained it was because her cable bill was going to over $170 (with the lowest plan and internet) and she needed to save money. When my friend started with Spectrum her first plan was $121. After a few minutes of waiting for the agent to look into things, the agent said she could keep her same plan and all in cost would be $127 a month for 12 months. Maybe COVID-19 savings or something, but I've managed to push the situation back for another year. Hopefully, by then my friend will consider streaming options. And yes, the bills will be carefully checked :)

sheshechic likes this.