Antenna Amplifier with TCD652160?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by austinsstuff, Jun 8, 2021 at 4:14 PM.

1. austinsstuff

austinsstuff New Member

Nov 23, 2020

Advertisements

Will an antenna amplifier work with my TCD652160? I'm planning on getting a new antenna as well as an amplifier for it as I have cut cable due to the company not providing it for the area I have recently moved into, but I'm a bit nervous that attempting to plug in the amplifier to my antenna will fry my TiVo HD, and I'm not really in the best financial situation to scower eBay for another All-In TiVo that supports OTA. Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Amplifiers may amplify both the signal and the noise and may not be viable for Tivo.

3. LarryAtHome

LarryAtHome Active Member

Feb 18, 2008
    An amplifier will work fine with a tivo. I have a pre-amplifier with my antenna. With a pre-amplifier, the amplification part is mounted outside near the antenna and the power supply is mounted inside in a dry area. The power supply will be marked which connection goes to the amplifier and which goes to the TV (or in your case the Tivo) A pre-amplifier amplifies the signal before the signal is degraded as it travels down the wire to the TV. You will need to figure out how strong of an amplifier you need. Be sure to look for one with very low noise. You want to make the signal stronger but do not want to introduce more noise to the signal. Start by looking at web sites like rabbit ears to see how strong your signals are to start out with, and determine how much (and as ThAbtO points out, if any) amplification is needed.

Teeps likes this.
  4. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    I don't think I've ever had a Tivo HD without a pre-amp. You want a low noise ratio; that's not a requirement or desirable characteristic specific to Tivo.