ANT channels on different frequencies

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by churd, Aug 6, 2007.

1. churd

churd New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    So I understand the issue with Cablecards needed for frequency mapping, but I have a slightly different dilemma...

My current cable company in Atlanta (DirecPath) is the sole provider for my apartment complex. They basically have 2 options, get basic cable, or upgrade to a DirecTV dish for their digital plan (which I am not considering).

Their basic cable also comes with HD channels, received from an antenna in the complex. So when I tell the TivoHD to scan for Cable+Antenna, I get the local HD channels. However, they come in at different frequencies. For example, I see the following in my channel list:

ant 2-1 (digital frequency 39) - WSBDT <----this is Tivo's listing
    ant *2-1 (digital frequency 17) <----this is the channel I actually get

Now, my cable company does not provide CableCards, as the HD channels come in over antenna, and not cable. However, it seems as though they are somehow rebroadcasting.

Is there anything I can do to avoid manual recording? Or am I stuck until I move out? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

2. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    Antennaweb.org say WSB-DT is broadcasting on UHF 39. Ant+Cable means YOU have an antenna attached to receive OTA directly as well as a cable service attached to the 'cable' input on the TiVo. It sounds like the building it receiving the OTA signals and remodulating at them at (at 8-VSB) different frequencies (using the same frequency can cause problems).

They probably don't support cable cards, so I'd TiVo customer support and see if you can get a custom lineup done for your building that will do the right thing.

3. churd

churd New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Thanks for the advice - unfortunately, I just got off the phone with Tivo Customer Service, and apparently there's nothing they can do (it falls under the same issue as clear-QAM channels it seems). No mapping changes since technically the channels I'm receiving are being displayed as OTA.

Kinda sucks since my cable company falls under the non-MSO loophole and doesn't need to provide CableCards - it appears for now I'm SOL.

4. JJ

JJ TiVoPlantation Owner

Jul 14, 2000
    Land of...
    Buying
    an indoor antenna for actual off-air signal and giving that a go would seem be in order. Most places around Atlanta can get a nice signal from a small antenna. Buy something you can return if it doesn't work out but sucess is more likely...

5. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    If you tune to the 'digtital 17' 2-1 channel and look at the diagnostics screen (messages and settings -> system information -> diagnostics), is the tuner demodulating 8-VSB or QAM? I'd keep pressing TiVo on if it's not really a 'clear-QAM' issue that providing cablecards could fix.

The TiVo site has a support page with the following sentence:
    which seems to match your situation.

6. churd

churd New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    I actually have a couple of antennas I've tried using (1 "HD" antenna and a couple of older rabbit ears), but unfortunately in the new complex I live in I don't seem to be sitting in a good area, as I can't tune any digital stations.

Any advice as to antennas that work well for people in low-reception areas??

7. JJ

JJ TiVoPlantation Owner

Jul 14, 2000
    Land of...
    I live
    deep in the 'shadow' of a hill near Berkeley Lakes and an outdoor monster was my only option. Smaller antennas were hit-miss and a foot of elevation or moving around the room made a lot of difference with smaller antennas.

I was sort of OK with a small Terk antenna in the attic but never got any VHF 11.x (RF10) joy and many helicopter dropouts on UHF to get a smooth picture...

8. churd

churd New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Well, I went to Best Buy and picked up a Terk amplified antenna to try and boost the signal - at best, I could only get 3/4 channels I was hoping to receive. Thanks for the suggestion, but for now I think I'm sticking to manually recording HD by time/channel :(