Another refurb... Third Times the Charm?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mrdazzo7, Aug 18, 2008.

1. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006

Advertisements

So the S3 I originally bought back in October 07 was a refurbished unit. It lasted about 8 months before the hard drive went nuts causing constant freezing. I did an exchange and got a new refurb about two weeks ago. Popped my cablecards in and everything worked flawlessly.

Then two days later, the drive noise became VERY auidible, even from across the room. I have a small, quiet apartment and don't think I should have to listen to my Tivo click-click-click-click literally non-stop 24/7. I called them today and they're sending me another refurb.

Will the third time be "the charm"? Who knows. All I know is the fall season is creeping up very fast and I want all this stuff over with. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the cable cards work again even though I think I got lucky this last time. I really don't wanna deal with Cablevision on top of everything else I have to do this week.

Anyway, wish me luck, lol...

2. BrianAZ

BrianAZ Back on the wagon

Aug 13, 2007
    Chandler, Az
    I've heard from several folks that if you have to return your refurb multiple times, they'll end up giving you a new unit. If your third one causes you problems, I'd recommend escalating it w/in Tivo to see if they'll do this for you.

3. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    That's why I NEVER buy anything refurbished.

4. Jim W

Jim W New Member

Aug 16, 2008
    S.F. Ca Bay...
    I just bought & installed a refurbished HD unit. It is working great for now. My question is, how long is the warranty on refurbed units? Is Tivo good about replacing these units?

5. dpc

dpc New Member

Sep 4, 2005

Advertisements

Do NOT buy a refurb. They don't test them worth a @#$% ! I went through 4 of them before they eventually sent me a new one.

6. Beachbum55

Beachbum55 New Member

Jan 1, 2004
    I received a refurb S3 replacement for my original S3 that failed after just after a year. Working great so far...keeping my fingers crossed.

7. madneon

madneon Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Ft. Bragg NC
    I am also on my 3rd referb and it also went bad but I just swapped out the drive instead of sending it back all is well for about 10 months now.:eek: