Another Newbie with a Few Questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jerlane, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Jan 2, 2008 #1 of 18
    jerlane

jerlane New Member

Jan 1, 2008

Advertisements

Hi there,
    I just switched from Comcast DVR to an HDTivo and am getting used to the differences. In general I am liking the Tivo features, but there are a few things I miss. I have been reading a lot here, and was holding out before posting, but haven't found answers to a few questions. I apologize in advance if these have been answered before. BTW I do have a Harmony remote that I can program if it helps.

1. Is it possible to push one button to get to the "Now Playing List." Right now it seems like the fastest way to do it is to push the Tivo button twice.

Note: I was just messing around with it and it looked like the left arrow button got me there. Does this work all the time, or only if I was watching a recorded program first? I'm guessing that the left arrow takes you to whatever menu you last looked at in the Tivo menu. Is that right?

2. With the DVR I could get right to the guide by pushing the arrows up or down. With Tivo it looks like I have to push the guide button first. Is there a way to eliminate that step?

3. Lastly, I am not a big fan of the on-screen guide. It takes up the whole screen and is kind of annoying if you are watching one program and want to see what else is on. I liked the way my old cable box would allow you to push the arrows up and down and look at a small menu on the bottom of the screen and scroll through channels on-screen just one at a time. Are there any other options for viewing the on-screen guide like I am describing?

Thanks in advance!
    Jeremy

2. Jan 2, 2008 #2 of 18
    windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    That's the fastest way to do it with the peanut remote (except for the old Sony ones (IIRC) that had a List button). However, the Harmony software supports the discrete List code that will jump you right to the NPL with a single button press so you can program a button on your Harmony to that.

Correct.

Not that I'm aware of.

Both on-screen Guide options (the Live Guide and Grid Guide) cover the whole screen.

3. Jan 2, 2008 #3 of 18
    jerlane

jerlane New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    Thanks for the reply. Do you know how I get the code to program my Harmony remote to go right to the NPL?

4. Jan 2, 2008 #4 of 18
    CZBrat

CZBrat New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I have a Harmony remote and would love to do that.. whats the code for that?

5. Jan 2, 2008 #5 of 18
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area

Advertisements

Under your TiVo activity, click Customize Buttons.

It should be the command called "List." I set my Menu button to List so it takes me directly to the Now Playing screen.

I also created sequences for the To Do List, Wishlists, and Find by Title. I put those on the LCD. A remote button for the To Do List is quite useful.

6. Jan 2, 2008 #6 of 18
    windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    It's been a while since I programmed my 676 so I'm firing up the software to check. :) (I've using v7.3.2)

Activity - Watch TiVo (or whatever you called your activity) - Customize Buttons

Arrrg, the Harmony app keeps timing out on me ... I wonder if they're having issues? Anyway, in the dialog where you can select the command for each button, the one you want is called List. Just assign it to whatever button you want (I use one of the custom ones on the LCD screen and call it "NPL").

edit: or what bkdtv said ;)

7. Jan 2, 2008 #7 of 18
    shane_pcs

shane_pcs New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    Frisco, TX
    Do these work for TivoHD or just the Series 3 with the Harmony? I have the Harmony 880 and List is not listed for the discrete commands.

8. Jan 2, 2008 #8 of 18
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    The TivoHD and Series3 use the same IR commands.

It is possible that the List code was somehow left out of the device profile you selected. If so, you might delete your TivoHD device and add the Series3 device instead.

Harmony usually lets you pick from several different device profiles that are similar to the one you enter; some of those profiles have the List code and others may not.

9. Jan 4, 2008 #9 of 18
    jerlane

jerlane New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    I have a Tivo HD and the am using the 880 with the series 3 settings. I'm still not seeing anything that resembles "list." I had the option with my cable box, but not now. Anyone have any thoughts?

10. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    When you click "Customize buttons" under your Tivo activity, you don't see "List" under the drop-down list of available commands?

If not, then it must be another profile on the Harmony web site. There are a number of different TiVo profiles on the Harmony site; some have the extra remote codes and others do not. Delete your current Tivo on the Devices tab and add a different one.

My Harmony device profile called "Tivo Series3." Elsewhere, I see it listed as "TiVoTivo Series3." If you still don't see anything, you might try adding a Tivo Series2 profile instead.

11. jerlane

jerlane New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    I'm pretty sure I had my remote set up as a series 3 before and didn't see the "list" option. I deleted it and added it as a Series 2 and there appear to be many more options including the "list" function. It now appears to be functioning properly and I have the menu button set to take me directly to the Now Playing List. It works great!

Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

12. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    If you use the Series2 profile, just be aware that the "window" button is the same as the "aspect" button on the Series3 remote.

13. bloggs894

bloggs894 New Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I too am trying to program my Harmony 890 with a "list" button. I did this about 3 months ago in setting up my Dad's TivoHD with his Harmony 880 (TCD-652160 profile) and the 'list' function was there. I now am trying to set up my own TivoHD (also with the TCD-652160 profile) and the 'list' function is no longer there. Is it possible that Logitech would have removed the 'list' function from this profile? I tried a few other series 2 and series 3 profiles and couldn't find the 'list' button there either. Is it too cynical to think that they've removed the direct access to the Now Playing List altogether as TiVo wants us to see the TiVo Central page where they are now displaying ads more prominently? Or has someone found the 'list' function in any Harmony profile in the last week or so thereby disproving my cynical theory?

14. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I was just updating my Harmony 676 settings over the weekend and I'm pretty sure I still saw the List command available under my S3 profile.

15. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    I setup a Harmony remote a week or two ago. It had the list function.

Whether you get the list function all depends on the profile you select. I suspect there are over a dozen TiVo profiles at this point, and many of them do not have the list function.

16. bloggs894

bloggs894 New Member

Nov 24, 2007
    can you provide the name of the profile you selected that has the 'list' function? I've been through a bunch in the last few days and none seem to have it.

also, I still don't understand why a profile that had the 'list' function a few months ago (the TCD-652160, otherwise known as the TiVoHD) no longer has it for new users selecting this profile.

17. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I just tried adding a second S3 to my Harmony profile and used TCD-648250B as the model number. The List command was available. So I tried TCD-652160 and sure enough, List isn't there.

I wonder if a call to Harmony support would get them to add the command to the TiVoHD profile. Or, just use the S3 profile ... it should be just about the same.

18. Innerloop

Innerloop New Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Marin...
    Now even the profile TCD-648250B no longer seems to supply a LIST button. Are they actively removing these codes from every profile? This is insane. I have an OLD Harmony 880 that has everything setup as I want it, but now I buy a new Harmony One remote and I can't even get it to the same level of functionality of a 2-year-old remote?

Bad customer service, bad decisions by Logitech.