Another minor 14.8 change

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by plazman30, May 31, 2011.

1. plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    My TiVo stopped responding to remote command after the 14.8 update. So, I rebooted it. I noticed two things about the "Almost There... Just A Few Minutes More."

1. The screen now immediately goes to widescreen. Before, it would be 4:3 and then switch to widescreen after a minute.

2. The bottom of the screen now has a dark blue shade instead of light blue. It now also seems to be crisper and cleaner than before, Perhaps it's a higher resolution bitmap now?

The Almost There screen still lies. It's still more that "just a few minutes."

2. plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    And another change I noticed. When copying shows between TiVos, if you start playing a show and FF or RW, the progress indicator displays a small blue cirlce, like the one in the My Shows list to let you know the show is still being copied.

3. MrSkippy53

MrSkippy53 New Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Same for FW or Rewind while watching a show that is currently recording. Well it's a red circle....

4. plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Should we turn this into the "What new stuff have you found in 14.8" thread?

5. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I was thinking this weekend of consolidating the "what is new in 14.8, but without bashing" thread. I'm finding I use MRV more than I thought, so I am thinking through ditching my THD for another Premiere.

6. HellFish

HellFish I can dress myself.

Jan 28, 2007
    It's a good idea. If we do that, the thread starter should keep the first post updated. I like when that happens, but I'm not on here enough to be the one.

7. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Noticed the same. Probably would not have if I didn't have to reboot so many times to unlock it.

8. Jun 1, 2011 #8 of 11
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I noticed something was different when I first got 14.8U2 and rebooted to try and get Hulu+. But whether the screen is 4:3 or 16:9 at bootup really didn't matter too much to me at the time. I was more concerned about what would show up after it finsihed booting. I never even checked to see what resolution it was sending when it booted.

9. Jun 1, 2011 #9 of 11
    RojCowles

RojCowles New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Marblehead, MA
    Not sure if these are new to 14.8 or not but they seemed new

1) I created a wishlist title keywords=JESSE.STONE, category=Movies and when I set it to auto-record the wishlist was added at the beginning of the Season Passes. If I recall this would have been at the end previously. As these are pretty infrequently scheduled movies and my wife really likes them adding them at the head of the Season Pass list was really what I wanted.

2) I was transferring a show from a flaky old Series 2 (model 540) box to my Premiere with 14.8 and it appeared to hang. Previously I'd have had to have manually deleted the transfer and probably have to reboot both boxes to clear the ToDo entry but this time the transfer was cleanly aborted, the partial transfer was deleted from the My Shows list and I saw an informative explanation in the View Recording History list as to what had happened. Again maybe this is normal with Premieres but it could indicate that the networking code has been improved / bomb-proofed somewhat ?

--
    Roj

10. randy1649

randy1649 Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Oh.... so that why our tivo stopped responding out of the blue.
    The update!
    All was well after power cycling the unit. But I wondered whay was going on.
    Im still don't understand all the hulu big deal. Whats the big deal compared to netflix or amazon? How many pay streaming services does one need?

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    All the Jesse Stone movies are available to rent from Netflix. Although only on DVD.
    We haven't watched the one that aired in MAy yet. Hopefully we'll geta chance to watch it this weekend.