Another HDTV illiterate needs help

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by RangersRBack, Jan 9, 2006.

1. RangersRBack

RangersRBack Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Just bought a Samsung 40" LCD TV and I know nothing whatsoever about HD. I hooked it up to my regular Tivo and the picture is terrible. I know I need a HD Tivo, but I have lots of questions. FWIW, I'm a huge sports fan, my DirecTV service is in West Virginia and I receive DC locals and the big four from NY and LA.

I've spent a week researching this forum and other forums and I'm as confused as ever (doesn't take much!). Here are my questions:

1. Can I still get a HD Tivo? Do they work as flawlessly as my regular Tivo? Does the HD Tivo make the non-HD channels look better? That's what Sears told me. If so, why? Do I need a new dish to receive HD programming? If so, can I go somewhere to get it and install it myself?

2. What about locals? Can I keep the NY and LA OOM networks? Will they come in HD? How about DC locals? Will they be in HD?

3. What about RSN's like MSG and YES? I subscribe to NHL Center Ice, will I receive those games that are carried by MSG in HD when they're on NHLCI and other sports packages?

4. What about the 16:9 picture? Will I be able to watch all channels in 16:9, or just ones that broadcast in 16:9?

Thanks in advance!!!

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    1. Yes you can get an HD TiVo. They work as well as regular DTiVos. No, they don't make non-HD channels look better.

2. You will not get any HD locals - those require a receiver that can get the MPEG4 satellites and no DVR exists yet for that. You may qualify for the distant HD nets, but I don't think it will be automatic. You have to apply.

3. DirecTV does not carry those channels in HD.

4. The TiVo can zoom 4:3 pictures to 16:9, but the results are not so good. I choose to watch with sidebars.

3. jhillestad

jhillestad New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Get the HD Tivo

Get an over the air antenna , not a cheap counter top kind but a real one that goes outside or in the attic.
    The hd tivo will seamlessly integrate the over the air with the sat signal and it will record off air just like sat.

Get the Directv HD package

Enjoy real HD.