Another HDMI problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by longdaygirl, Jun 27, 2011.

1. longdaygirl

longdaygirl New Member

Dec 30, 2008
    99% of the time the TIVO works fine using the HDMI connection, but every once in a while it completely blacks out for about 20-30 seconds. When the signal comes back on there is the briefest of flashes of a TIVO messages that says something about the HDMI cable not being "allowed." The thing I don't get is that it seems to be perfectly allowed the rest of the time so why the problem every once in a while? There's no rhyme or reason as to when it blacks out. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all for a few days and sometimes it happens more than once in an hour. I've tried different HDMI cables as well as a different port on the TV. Anybody have any suggestions (besides doing away with HDMI all together...) Thanks.

2. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    You may need to look at the settings on your A/V receiver and/or TV. The Tivo could be switching streams (Dolby Digital to PCM or some other) at times that confuses either your A/V receiver and/or TV. Your A/V receiver could be handling the switch just fine while your TV may not. Digital connections can have some headaches. Perhaps if you could try analog connections and switch back and forth, this could tell you. While there are standards for HDMI, different manufactures may implement them differently. For example, if my TV switches on while Tivo is On (which it always is) and my receiver comes on in the middle, I get a complaint about the HDMI connection not being allowed. A cycling of the receiver power corrects it. Go figure.

The streams can switch between program and commercial or possible during weak signal. Perhaps one of your other components is slow to adapt,