Another Fox Reality Show: Lie Detector

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by danplaysbass, Aug 14, 2007.

1. danplaysbass

danplaysbass I watch too much TV.

Jul 19, 2004
    Philadelphia
    I did a search so I hope this isn't a repost...

This sounds like quality Fox reality programming at its best:

" 'Nothing But the Truth,' a hit in Colombia, uses a lie detector and a series of 21 increasingly personal questions to judge whether contestants are telling the truth.
    If they pass, they win up to $50,000 and can walk away with their winnings at any time. If they fail, they face the wrath of family and friends sitting in the studio audience. "

NYP Article

2. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Only thing in Columbia if you lose you face the firing squad.

Kind of dumb since lie detectors are far from accurate. In fact I dare say they are pretty easy to manipulate.

3. danplaysbass

danplaysbass I watch too much TV.

Jul 19, 2004
    Philadelphia
    <sarcasm>Really? So you mean to tell me that all those Jerry Springer, Ricky Lake and Maury Poivich shows might have been wrong?!?</sarcasm>

4. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    When I saw this, I thought that maybe somebody was bringing back the old F. Lee Bailey series Lie Detector, where people were given lie detector tests to see if their claims were true. (Only one episode stood out; Evel Knievel passed when he said that he didn't release the chute on his unsuccessful Snake River Canyon jump.)

This wouldn't be the first game show to use a lie detector format; ABC had a show in the 1970s called Hot Seat, where contestants had to guess how their spouses would answer questions and the spouses were hooked up to some sort of response tester to determine the truth. (Quick description: a contestant was asked whether their spouse would answer "A" or "B"; the spouse was asked, "Would you answer A?" and then "Would you answer B?"; the spouse said "No" both times, and whichever resulted in the largest movement of the response needle was determined to be a lie.)

-- Don

5. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    They had that show where they dated on NBC where they had a lie detector guy too. Think it was based on the Meet the Parents movie.

6. Mike10

Mike10 New Member

Mar 1, 2006
    fox did a pilot with Marcia clark from the OJ trial a long time were tonya hardings ex husband Jeff Gillooly's, the brother of the Oklahoma City bomber and captain lou albano were hooked up to a lie dectector

the show did not get picked up but the pilot was aired as a one hour special

and Pax TV also had some sort of lie dectector show a couple of years ago