Another DailyMail Thread...

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by PaulWilkinsUK, Oct 16, 2007.

1. PaulWilkinsUK

PaulWilkinsUK Ohhh Yeah !

Mar 20, 2006
    Gloucestersh...
    Hello folks,

Hmmm Install DailyMail_jazz I thought... Got so far, cannot find ls or ps anywhere in the zipped DailyMail_Jazz package. Cannot find ps on my Tivo either (ls yes).

Does anyone have these ??

Kind Regards

2. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
  3. PaulWilkinsUK

Mar 20, 2006
    Gloucestersh...
  4. PaulWilkinsUK

Mar 20, 2006
    Gloucestersh...
    Can't get the damn thing to work tho... TivoWeb modules seem OK.
    Just locks up the TiVo when I attempt to send a mail...

Any ideas??

5. PaulWilkinsUK

Mar 20, 2006
    Gloucestersh...
    15:41:25-debug-domain : >>smtp.****.****<<
    15:41:25-debug-recipient : >>paul.wilkinsuk@****.****<<
    15:41:25-debug-subject: >>TiVo status e-mail for Tuesday October 16, 2007<<
    15:41:25-debug-attempting to open socket 25 to mailserver specified >>17.148.16.33<<
    15:41:25-debug-got reply : >>220 smtp.****.**** ESMTP Service<<
    15:41:25-debug-connected
    15:41:26-debug-got reply : >>250 ****.**** Hello host86-155-81-243.range86-155.btcentralplus.com [86.155.81.243] (may be forged), pleased to meet you<<
    15:41:26-debug-helo acknowledged
    15:41:26-debug-got reply : >>501 5.5.4 cannot BASE64 decode 'paul.wilkinsuk'<<
    15:41:26-debug-username rejected

What is a BASE64 decode??? Is my editor too posh? Come to think of it.. I used TivoWeb Daily Mail Manager to edit the cfg file...

6. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    I haven't used DM for a while, but I seem to recall that usernames & passwords need to be Base64 encoded. I think email addresses are fine.

7. PaulWilkinsUK

Mar 20, 2006
    Gloucestersh...
    Well stone me... the things you learn on this forum!!
    Thanks once again Carl

8. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    It's all in the user manual, you know; but then no-one ever reads them do they? ;)

9. PaulWilkinsUK

Mar 20, 2006
    Gloucestersh...
    User Manual ?? WTF is one of those?? Seriously Carl, if there is one, do let on where I can find it.. I've got to wrestle with CRON next... another box of frogs!!!

10. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    I have Daily Mail Jazz here and there's a Manual in the archive but even if you don't have that and are using the original version then I'm sure there'll be instructions somewhere anyway. I think it's all detailed in config file anyway, isn't it?

I don't think I even had to mess with CRON, but I think that was optional anyway :)

11. ColinYounger

ColinYounger It wasn't me.

Aug 9, 2006
    Southsea,...
    Paul - due to the heavy nature of the information being extracted by DM, you will see stuttering and pauses on the TiVo.

You can alleviate some of this by setting the debug level to zero when you've got it working. The debug level is in the cfg file.

12. PaulWilkinsUK

Mar 20, 2006
    Gloucestersh...
    Cheers Colin.. thanks for the advice. It seems to be working now, just need to cron it.
    (just... ha ha ha)

13. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    A cron tip - the version I got of cron (don't ask me where from) merrily told me it didn't need to be restarted to reload the cron tab file (the schedule of stuff to do).
    After a lot of mucking about waiting for things to happen that didn't, I found the only reliable way to get it to read the tab file was to kill and restart cron.

In my ignorance I used "cron" (no quotes) at the bash prompt which told me it couldn't start as it was running but gave me a possible pid of the running instance.
    "kill that number"
    stops that instance then
    "cron" again started it each time and read the cron tab.

I discovered later you can find the cron process ID (pid) by typing "ps x" and looking for the path to the file e.g. var/hack/bin/cron which is probably a better idea in the long run.