Annual Subscription vs. All-in

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by 2012Bearcat, Nov 14, 2019.

1. 2012Bearcat

2012Bearcat New Member

Oct 23, 2019
    Cincinnati OH
    My apologies if this has been discussed many times before.
    We're trying to understand what, if anything, extra going the All-in route gets us on the purchase of a new TiVo unit. From what I can tell, we never need to pay for a subscription fee after the first big hit of $500+. Is that all it does??
    Conversely, we could pay an annual $150 for as long as we have the TiVo unit. Broken down - the All-in price is about 3.5 years of an annual subscription model. So, it pays for itself in that time. Anything after 3.5 years is "bonus" TiVo subscription.

Aside from the basic mathematics of the amount of time it pays for itself... what additional benefits does the All-in subscription model get me? Or is that basically it?

2. Charles R

Charles R Active Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    Biggest benefit is typically you can recoup most of your "investment" if you purchase Lifetime if/when you sell your TiVo.

Noelmel likes this.
  3. 2012Bearcat

2012Bearcat New Member

Oct 23, 2019
    Cincinnati OH
    Thanks for the response.
    So let's say in 4 years from now I want to get a new TiVo unit to replace my existing unit, assuming there will be another new model at that time. It sounds like having a lifetime/all-in subscription tied to the unit (TSN?) makes the unit more enticing/valuable to potential buyers - correct?
    An example would be - A 4 year-old TiVo unit without lifetime might fetch $100 on the open market, whereas someone might be willing to pay $200 for a unit with lifetime.

I was hoping there would be other service-related perks to justify dropping all the money up front. Assuming I like the hardware and service, i could see sticking with it for years to come. But as a TiVo newbie, it's a gamble... maybe I won't like it. To your point, I could recoup some of that cost if I sell it after a year.

Noelmel likes this.
  4. yesno

yesno Active Member

Jun 27, 2003
    Arizona
    Continual Care Protection
    TiVo's Continual Care protection covers your TiVo EDGE, TiVo BOLT VOX, TiVo Roamio OTA and TiVo Mini VOX for the uninterrupted duration of your monthly or annual TiVo service subscription.

Continual Care does not apply to the All-in Service Plan.

TiVo Continual Care Protection
    TiVo’s Continual Care warranty covers your TiVo EDGE, TiVo BOLT VOX, TiVo BOLT, or TiVo Roamio for the uninterrupted duration of your monthly or annual TiVo service subscription. With TiVo Continual Care Protection we’ll send you a replacement box at no charge (except you are responsible for shipping costs) if your TiVo EDGE, TiVo BOLT VOX, TiVo BOLT, or TiVo Roamio needs repair within the first 90 days from your date of purchase.* After 90 days, you’ll receive a replacement box for just $49.00 (plus shipping and applicable taxes).* No one else in the industry offers protection quite like this.

* Exchange exclusions and restrictions apply. Replacement box may be repaired, renewed or comparable product at TiVo’s discretion. See Limited Warranty for details.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Mikeguy and Noelmel like this.
  5. 2012Bearcat

2012Bearcat New Member

Oct 23, 2019
    Cincinnati OH
    Interesting. Thank you for that bit of info. That's something I missed when comparing subscription model vs. all-in..
    I notice in the first paragraph it mentions the Mini VOX. However, in the 2nd paragraph, there is no mention of the Mini VOX. That seems like a somewhat strange omission. I found this is consistent across the tivo.com website in the few places Continual Care is mentioned.
    I must assume the Mini VOX is not part of the $49 replacement offer (past 90 days).

6. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Yup... It's the classic rent or buy scenario...

If you buy your box for $100.00 and subscribe to the annual service and pay for three years, your box would be worth no more than $100 minus depreciation of the box. Everything you put in to the service evaporates.

If you buy the box for $100.00, and buy the All-In-Service for $500.00...the service is connected to the box and the resale value would factor this in...

As an example, I just sold my TiVo Roamio Pro (with the All-In-Service) for $429.99 on eBay last year.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Rey and Noelmel like this.
  7. Slumpert

Slumpert Member

Oct 18, 2019
    10 plus years ago I was hesitant to buy the all in because I didn’t expect the units to “live” past 4 years.
    After learning just recently about how TiVo ran multiple “switch” offers over the years and has a affordable exchange option for failed lifetime units I regret not buying lifetime back then,

Now I am worried that TiVo won’t even be useable in 3 plus years with the speed of streaming progress and IPTV replacing encoded cable cards.

I was just over at friends house who uses a Nvida shield and it was so much more responsive with streaming apps vs my new to me bolt.

Noelmel likes this.
  8. 2012Bearcat

2012Bearcat New Member

Oct 23, 2019
    Cincinnati OH
    Thanks to all for their input. As MikeekiM says - classic rent vs. buy. Hard to predict the future, especially with the speed at which streaming services are improving. Assuming we like the new Edge we plan to purchase, I can see us holding onto it for 5 years or more. At that time, something better will have come along. I never expect to get a lot of money out of selling old tech second hand anyway.
    For our household - those apps/services are just not yet ready to replace our cable provider. Maybe in a couple years. For now - we still prefer good old broadcast/cable TV and DVR'ing stuff.

Noelmel likes this.
  9. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    You may want to wait a few weeks: the past few years (at least 3?), TiVo has had some nice Nov.-Dec. holiday season specials, starting the week before or of Thanksgiving, and onto Cyber Monday (at least last year). That's coming, now, quickly.

I don't know if TiVo's newest model, the Edge box, would be included. But if the savings are in the multiple hundreds of dollars (between the box and Lifetime), a nice Bolt or Roamio refurb.* could be nice.

* Offered last year and in earlier years. When I purchased a refurb. one year from TiVo, it seemed to be new, and was totally trouble-free (and if there is an issue, you're covered by TiVo's various warranties, for a replacement).

Noelmel likes this.