Annoying TiVo HD behavior

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by cheesesteak, Mar 22, 2010.

1. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...

Advertisements

Let's say I'm watching a show I recorded on my TiVo HD. It's getting close to the end, maybe minute 57 out of an hour. Now, for whatever reason, I want to watch live tv or check an SP or whatever. I press the left arrow or hit the TiVo button. A message pops up asking whether I want to delete the program or keep it. Huh? I'm not at the end yet. I'm just bouncing out for a minute and will come back in to finish watching. I want to resume where I left off. Is there some setting I can adjust so that it only asks me if I want to keep or delete a recorded show when I'm at the real end of the show?

2. bschuler2007

bschuler2007 Frustrated owner

Feb 25, 2007
    Nope. Tivo assumes if your in the last few minutes of a recording that you have watched the complete recording. It doesn't offer to rememeber your position and instead offers you the choice to keep or delete. I know of no option to change this behavior.
    Luckily, since 99.9% of people skip the credits.. I can easily see Tivo's default action as correct for most people.

3. rbtconsultants

rbtconsultants New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    I believe if you pause it first it will not do this.

Bob

4. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    The solution is to pause. If you pause with less than 5 minutes remaining, then the TiVo will remember your position and it won't ask you to keep or delete the recorded show.

If more than 5 minutes remain, then you don't have to do anything.

5. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...

Advertisements

Thank you for the work around. Maybe I'm the only customer who finds this behavior annoying but I now know how to get around it.

6. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Wow, great information on the pause. I have been using my TiVos for years, and I often preview the end of a recording to verify it is all there and note the exact length in preparation for saving to DVD. I, too, have found this assumption by TiVo VERY annoying, but just put up with it for lack of any other choice. Great to know I can avoid that PITA screen with a pause first. I'd be happier if I never saw that screen again (wish I could turn it off all together), but this is better than nothing!
    Goose