Annoying glitches on FOX shows

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by mhn2, Apr 24, 2006.

1. mhn2

mhn2 New Member

Sep 10, 2003
    Arlington, TX

Advertisements

Lately we've noticed an annoying problem on HD recordings of FOX shows. Every minute or two the picture pixelates and the audio drops out. This lasts for only a couple seconds, but it is extremely annoying - especially during American Idol. Anyone else experiencing this? :(

2. teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Yep, it's why I replaced the HD thinking it was about to go out. Still does it but to a much lesser degree. My brother is running a disk check on the original WD drive using his external drive setup.

3. Dssturbo1

Dssturbo1 New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    what channel is coming in, a local fox station broadcasting OTA, or a fox hd feed channel 88 or 89 from east or west coast from directv?
    if it is 88-89 have you checked your sat signal meter to see if your getting steady signal.

4. mhn2

mhn2 New Member

Sep 10, 2003
    Arlington, TX
    It is the local 4-1 OTA channel in DFW. I thought it might be a FOX network issue, but maybe it's the local station(KDFW). Anyone else in the DFW Metroplex notice this?

5. Sk8man

Sk8man New Member

Dec 22, 2001
    Texas

Advertisements

Yes. Getting quite annoying. This is the only channel I have experienced this on.

6. falz

falz Some Title

Mar 29, 2002
    Madison, WI
    My local fox station (47-1, Madison, WI) Has the same issue. Apparently it's related to some timecode/time offset bug that's in the braodcast. I assumed it was something with my local station, but perhaps yours has the same issue as well.

Details on it are on Avsforum. Look for the Local HD TV Reception area and see if there's a thread for your area. If not, look through the Madison, WI thread to find out the info.

--falz

7. dchamero

dchamero New Member

Feb 10, 2006
    DFW area

Yes, I'm in Garland (DFW Metroplex) and experience the same problem ONLY on FOX (and my ota antenna is perfectly aligned and getting between 80 and 90 % on 4-1 (KDFW-FOX) all the time)

8. judal98

judal98 New Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Also in DFW...totally noticed on the recording of

24 - April 17th (Channel 4-1)

Very annoying, have not watched any other programs on that channel since then (cannot verify if it is still a problem)

9. dchamero

dchamero New Member

Feb 10, 2006
    DFW area
    Ok, just watched today's 24 and saw no glitches .... I hope they have fixed their problems.....

10. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Sounds like some urban legend.

First, engineers at FOX would know if there were such an issue. I can tell you first-hand they have not heard of such a thing.

Second, the local station has no possibility of screwing up the FOX programming because they don't decode/re-encode or touch the signal in any way. FOX affils use a Terrayon MPEG splicer which keeps the bitstream pristine. The only thing different about the signal at DFW from that at any other FOX station is the unique added Nielsen location info, which is muxed in (added) to the existing bit stream, which means it does not affect the demuxed stream that is what your tuner sees.

Third, this equipment was supposed to be installed by 1-1-06 under penalty of fine, so even if it could cause a problem there would have been a lot of phone calls to the station in the last 4 months. The very nature of broadcast maintenance engineering is that anything that affects reception becomes a front-burner issue, so if the station had as issue, they would know, and very likely would have fixed it.

I understand it's comforting to have an answer for each question, make order out of chaos, etc., but these sound like just so many local reception issues. If you are willing to approach it that way instead, we can help you, and possibly your local station can help as well. We're all motivated toward the same goal of getting you reception.

Since KDFW is an O&O, any DTV sub in that market should also be getting 88 or 89 (FOX NYC and LA). Comparison to what is seen there is the best place to start. Assume that if the DNS station is OK, that it is likely a reception issue. While the signal path getting there is a little different, the signal is almost virtually identical by virtue of the splicer technology.

11. wensteph

wensteph New Member

Nov 20, 2003

"24" was occasionally pixelated, but with heavy audio drops. I'm OTA with Fox in Charlotte, NC.

12. dchamero

dchamero New Member

Feb 10, 2006
    DFW area
    I don't know what do you mean by that, but I can assure you that noone in dfw (unles granfathered by some old agreement) gets the national FOX feed. Besides DFW is a MPEG4 locals market....

13. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    You're right. Once M4 starts, they typically turn off the DNS. But otherwise, network owned & operated stations typically give blanket DNS approval in those markets on DTV.
    Many folks were likely getting at least 88 until then.

14. rpiotro

rpiotro Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Greenfield, WI
    Yup! I see it here in Milwaukee, WI on 6-1 during American Idol. It was real bad in Febuary, seemed to disappear in March and has been back to a lesser extent in the last two weeks. I get an excellent signal. It fluctuates between 92-94.

15. mhn2

mhn2 New Member

Sep 10, 2003
    Arlington, TX
    TyroneShoes,

I don't understand, are you saying that this problem dosen't really exist? I can tell you it is a real issue on my set. I'm simply trying to figure out if this is:

A. A network problem
    B. A local affiliate problem
    C. An HD DirecTiVo problem
    D. My equipment

I'm just asking others in the forum if they have encountered this problem to try and eliminate some of the possibilities before I call FOX, KDFW or DirecTV to complain. :)

16. cnixon

cnixon New Member

Mar 18, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Last week I posted the same question in The Dallas Home Theater Group and after many said they were having the same problems with frequent breakup, an engineer from another station reported that he had talked with KDFW's engineers and heard that the station was having "tube" problems with their transmitter at Cedar Hill. Last night I had better luck with KDFW 4-1 than DTV 88 during Prison Break and 24, so I suspect the problem has been fixed.
    Charles

17. Sir_winealot

Sir_winealot Seenyer Member

Nov 18, 2000
    Call your local affiliate and ask them if they're having a problem...if they are they'll be more than happy to tell you.

I had a problem w/CBS in my area back during football season. Called them in the middle of one of the TB Bucs games to let them know and they told me they had been working to fix the problem, and please bear with them.

Put my mind at ease...especially since I was switching cables and moving antennas trying to get the problem to stop!

18. mhalver

mhalver New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    I'm located in central Iowa (medicom cable - regular not HD) and see this too. It only happens on Fox and there are sometimes skips or pixelating as well as a strange "squicky" noise sometimes. It does this on both tv's (only one with a TiVo) so it is definately the feed. Been doing it for at least 6 months.

19. dchamero

dchamero New Member

Feb 10, 2006
    DFW area
    Ok, tonight American Idol, the glitches came back.... not so bad as last week, but they are definetly back :(

20. teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Concur, D-FW issues are not resolved. Anyone need a new HR10-250 drive since the one I bought obviously didn't correct my issue?