ANN: TiVo Broadcaster 1.0 for Mac OS X 10.4

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by iDriveX, May 8, 2005.

1. May 8, 2005 #1 of 165
    iDriveX

iDriveX TiVo/Mac Guru

Jun 2, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hello-

I recently simplified the process of fixing the TiVo/Mac OS X 10.4 problem. I created two shell scripts. The first one fixes the iPhoto Library issue (no it does not mess with your iPhoto Library), the second one is the broadcaster and fixes the TiVo not seeing your iTunes Library and iPhoto Library. It is a self contained application and I put a flag in the preferences so that it doesn't clutter up your dock. It's all wrapped up in a nice little installer package.

I guess I've done enough whining around here about TiVo giving us the shaft. Here's my "valentine" to TiVo users. (And no, it's not a Valentine like Berman & Braga's wonderful little Valentine)

Instructions

Enjoy. Please report any problems to this thread, not my personal e-mail in case it doesn't work.

2. May 9, 2005 #2 of 165
    rog

rog urban achiever

Jan 12, 2005
    Oregon
    This looks pretty cool, but... well... no offense, but I'd like to know exactly what this package is doing to my system before I install.

The installer is a nice touch for those not able to follow Dennis Wilkinson's instructions, but it scares me because I can't see what it is doing. And there is no uninstaller, correct?

I'm sure there is probably a way for me to track its changes, but I don't know how to do that.

Make me smart.

[Don't take this as a slight, I'm just paranoid about installing new applications!]

3. May 9, 2005 #3 of 165
    iDriveX

iDriveX TiVo/Mac Guru

Jun 2, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    No worries. The installer is doing NOTHING to your system. It is simply placing some shell scripts into a folder in your Utilities Folder. Running the shell scripts is what alters your system. And the shell scripts are an exact copy of Dennis Wilkinson's Terminal commands.

I was a Mac OS X newbie when OS X Public Beta first came out. The Terminal scared me and so did anything having to do with scripts. I educated myself and learned the developer's tools. I decided to make Dennis' instructions nice and simple for the people out there that used to be just like me!

No slight taken!

4. May 9, 2005 #4 of 165
    weathertop

weathertop No worries

Jan 24, 2003
    Short Hills, NJ
    Is it necessary to rerun the shell scripts after every restart in order for Tivo desktop to work?

5. May 9, 2005 #5 of 165
    iDriveX

iDriveX TiVo/Mac Guru

Jun 2, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Only the TiVo Broadcaster one as far as I know. You need to keep "broadcasting" in order for TiVo to see the server.

6. May 9, 2005 #6 of 165
    Mr. Zarniwoop

Mr. Zarniwoop New Member

Mar 26, 2002
    Ursa Minor Beta
    I recently upgraded to Tiger and lost TiVo HMO capability.

I run the installer, and it seems to work, but nothing new is placed in my utilities directly. Spotlight can't find the filenames described in the installation.

Tried re-installing, "The software was successfully installed", no errors, just no files. :confused:

7. May 9, 2005 #7 of 165
    wickerbill

wickerbill Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    I'm getting the same problem. Software says it was successfully installed, but I can't find any scripts to execute. Spotlight couldn't find any files with tivo in them.

8. May 9, 2005 #8 of 165
    iDriveX

iDriveX TiVo/Mac Guru

Jun 2, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    There was a problem in the mpackage creator. I don't know why it happened. I will recreate the packages tonight after I get home from work...hang tight...

9. May 9, 2005 #9 of 165
    briguymaine

briguymaine Visual Assault Cmdr.

Mar 17, 2004
    Beautiful Maine
    ohhh... I'm so bad at waiting...

10. May 9, 2005 #10 of 165
    iDriveX

iDriveX TiVo/Mac Guru

Jun 2, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    All set now, installed on my PowerBook remotely to simulate the same thing an end-user would go through, everything worked great!

11. May 9, 2005 #11 of 165
    Puddin'head

Puddin'head New Member

Dec 22, 2001
    iDriveX:
    I just downloaded the repackaged TiVo Broadcaster and installed it, and it works perfectly...as long as I'm online. I'm cursed with dialup Internet, and if I disconnect, so does the TiVo! Once I redial my ISP, I must stop and start TiVo Broadcaster to get the HMO up and running again.

Puddin'head

12. May 10, 2005 #12 of 165
    iDriveX

iDriveX TiVo/Mac Guru

Jun 2, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Huh, that's kinda interesting. It shouldn't have anything to do with your ISP as long as you have a local subnet. Are you using a router? How is your intranet configured? What kind of setup do you have?

13. May 10, 2005 #13 of 165
    briguymaine

Mar 17, 2004
    Beautiful Maine
    iDriveX is officially the man. Thanks for the workaround! Meant to thank Dennis too, always looking out for us lonely Mac guys.

14. May 10, 2005 #14 of 165
    Dennis Wilkinson

Dennis Wilkinson Active Member

Sep 24, 2001
    East...
    If iDriveX is just using the mDNS command I posted a few days ago (thanks for wrapping it up with an installer, by the way -- I've been very busy) -- mDNS is really a testing application for Bonjour/Rendezvous/ZeroConf, and is documented as not really being the right way to 'do' Bonjour in a scripting environment (it was just the fastest thing that would work when I did my testing.)

What's likely happening is that it (meaning mDNS) is simply not responding to certain network up/down events that would require it to set things up again. You might be able to set up your network config so that this isn't an issue. What do your network settings look like?

15. May 10, 2005 #15 of 165
    Poogie

Poogie Well-Known Member

May 12, 2002
    SoCal
    And gals, too! :)

Thanks Dennis and iDriveX! :up:

I had some problems. On my secondary system, I got it working, after I input my IP address. Still not working on the main system. Under music and photos, I get nothing. When I input the IP, it can't find it. I can, however, I can see my other TiVo in "Now Playing."

16. May 10, 2005 #16 of 165
    briguymaine

Mar 17, 2004
    Beautiful Maine
    Sorry, can't forget the ladies!

17. May 10, 2005 #17 of 165
    BaileyW

BaileyW New Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Help! I need to reinstall TiVo Desktop 1.9.1 on my newly upgraded Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger iMac but the installer fails. Using unpkg to manually copy the files doesn't seem to work. Now the System Preferences panel quits when I try to turn on the TiVo Desktop.

TiVo Broadcaster seemed to install just fine. What am I doing wrong? Thank you!!

Bailey Walker

18. May 10, 2005 #18 of 165
    briguymaine

Mar 17, 2004
    Beautiful Maine
    Did you run the scripts and see if music & photos show up on your tivo? It will probably work. I had the same install issues before the workaround, Sys Prefs would crash, but after running the scripts all is working well.

Best of luck!

19. May 10, 2005 #19 of 165
    BaileyW

BaileyW New Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Yes, I ran the scripts and then opened System Preferences, selected TiVo Desktop. I was able to select playlists and albums without difficulty. But as soon as I clicked the "Start" button System Preferences immediately quits and displays a box which gives me the option to send a report to Apple, close, or retry.

I suspect there's some crucial component missing. The three TiVo folders and their respective files are in the appropriate Library folder (Application Support, StartupItems, and PreferencePanes). Attempts to reinstall TiVo Desktop result in the Installer reporting a failure.

I'm stuck for now.

Thank you for your help and assistance,

Bailey Walker

20. May 10, 2005 #20 of 165
    Puddin'head

Puddin'head New Member

Dec 22, 2001
    Dennis & iDriveX:
    I'm using a Titanium Powerbook with an Airport card and an older Airport base station (802.11b). I'm not sure what specific network settings you need...TCP/IP is set to "Use DHCP" and PPPoE, Appletalk and Proxies are all off. In the "DNS Servers" field I have 2 IP addresses that were supplied by my ISP. Would it make any difference to change DHCP to "Manually"?