Angry and Frustrated with TIVO Humax Burner

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by baum001, Jan 6, 2006.

1. baum001

baum001 New Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Recieved my first TIVO Christmas 2003 and loved it. I was a huge proponent of the TIVO service. This year added a second TIVO with DVD Recorder from Humax. Put both systems on the Media Option(wireless network). Since my main digital cable box was hooked up on my 80 hour TIVO and recieves the majority of my movie content Starz,HBO, etc would transfer movies form the original TIVO to my new TIVO with burner. And copy the content I desired.Transfer went fine but when I went to burn the transferred content it said material was transferred from an incompatible DVR(which is of course a TIVO box). Contacted customer support and they said that you cannot burn content from another DVR transferred via the HOME media option. What bunk? Having visited this board and visited TIVO's site I have never seen this. Now I have purchased the new burner with TIVO with no use. I feel I was miscommunicated too and owning several thousand shares of TIVO stock and having espoused its uses I am angry to say the least. If this is how they are falling behind technology wise and from a customer communication standpoint :thumbsdown: I see dark days ahead. Not good.

2. Ipaqjoe

Ipaqjoe Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    The problem you are seeing is caused by the fact the Humax records the programming content in a different format than your Non DVD Tivo.

Why they chose to do this?? (I don't know)

It is not as simple as a box you can check or something a Tivo customer service rep can change for you. It is a software or hardware issue the Tivo developers would need to change.

If you look closely at the error message you get when you try to burn a program on your Humax that was transferred to it (vice recorded on it) you will see something to the effect of a different video or audio content along with "Sorry you can't do this frustration" I am sure it is a format issue, different video frame rate, audio compression, etc...

Basicly the Humax records programs in a ready to burn to DVD format and the Non-Humax Tivo needs some other software to do this. This is where Sonic or Nero (what I use) comes in on my PC.

What you could try is sending your programming to a windows PC with a DVD burner and recording it there. If you don't have a DVD burner in your PC they are now under $50 just about anywhere.

Good Luck.

3. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    Discusion of this problem occurs at least once a month!

The Tivo units without DVD-RW record in a non-standard format optomized for playback on a TV. The MPEG encoder is hardware so it can't be changed.

To make the DVD-RW units work Tivo had to record in DVD compatible formats. The Tivo box does not have enough processing power to convert between formats.

I have a combination of units and have my Humax connected to the Digital STB, typically I know if I'm going to save a program to DVD and can schedule it on that unit, otherwise I schedule recording to avoid conflicts and based on who will watch. Transfers back and forward between the units work both ways. It's just saving to DVD that is a problem.

4. lajohn27

lajohn27 Fanboi.. So what?

Dec 29, 2003
    Canada
    Sorry.. You didn't do very good research.. Before I got one of these units.. I specifically researched that very point. And I found the answer I was looking for ...

And you could have found it - by downloading the Humax Owners manual from the Humax site - which I did before I bought the unit.

That's actually a fairly good habit to get into generally speaking. Most all consumer electronics manuals are available online and if you read the manual ahead of time => most time there are no nasty surprises.

5. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Yeah, this has come up on just about every TiVo forum on the net, AND it is in the manual.

6. rlc1

rlc1 Frakking idiot

Sep 15, 2003
    Plaistow, NH
    Since this is a few days old I probably won't even get a response....but I am confused as to why the original poster doesn't just hook up the Tivo with the DVD recorder to the TV with the cable box. In other words, just swap the Tivos. Am I missing something?

7. gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    Probably a capacity issue. He most likely wants to keep the higher capacity recorder connected to the cable box.

8. baum001

baum001 New Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Did not want to have to add a second cable box. I have now so problem is solved. :D

9. JPLA90027

JPLA90027 New Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was disappointed just as you were that I could not burn programs transferred from other TiVo boxes. My workaround is to connect the TiVo box with the programming I want, to the Humax unit, just as I would if I was connecting a VCR or Camcorder. Any source connected to the Humax inputs will be recorded by the Humax, and can then be burned. The front inputs are very convenient for this purpose.

As much as I can, I try to program my TiVo's so that anything I'm likely to want burned later is recorded by the Humax unit. In my case, that unit has the larger hard drive, anyway. But with some planning, it's extremely rare that I need to transfer programs from one unit to the other for burning.

I hope this helps.

Judge