Angel Question

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Aniketos, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006

Advertisements

Ok, so finsihed Buffy, time for Angel.

But...I...can't...do...it. I tried, season one sucks too much, I've skipped to season 2 and I'm enjoying it. So can anyone give me a rundown of the events of season one, or maybe give me some key episodes to watch that don't suck.

2. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    Yeah, Season One was rough-but there are some really good episodes in that one. The whole storyline with Doyle, Wesley joining up and the Faith storyline-I'd give it another shot if I were you!

3. Rosincrans

Rosincrans mad north-north-west

May 3, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    You might try to start with when Wesley joins the show. (Episode 10) This was the beginning of a revamp and more closely resembles the show that it later becomes. If you don't want to do that, start with the Season One finale (Episode 22) That's really the start of the Season 2 story arc.

4. LoadStar

LoadStar I voted! Did you?

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    And just a hint - Wesley starts out very similar to his character on Buffy, but changes quite a bit over the course of the show. Same with Cordelia. Angel is about the only one who stays relatively consistent with his character from Buffy.

5. Rosincrans

Rosincrans mad north-north-west

May 3, 2006
    Sacramento, CA

Advertisements

Which is actually realistic. He is over 240 years old. Probably a little set in his ways.

6. Robin

Robin Impolite arrogant woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    I can't remember which eps Doyle was in, but I loved him!

7. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Well, if I had to guess...

...I'd say the first 9. :D

8. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    How did you not watch it during the seasons that ran simultaneously? There were some crossover episodes where the story began on Buffy and finished on Angel. Am I misremembering, or was it possible to have watched only Buffy and not gotten lost?

You definitely need to at least see the last episode with Doyle. What happens between him and Cordelia is key to much of the rest of the series.

9. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Cause Angel sucked so much when I tried to do that I had zero desire to try to watch it along side Buffy.

I had zero problem with the crossover episodes, they explain it fine in the episodes. "I went to L.A to <retrieve> and/or <give>, <item> and/or <person> and now I'm back having completed my task."

10. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    Yeah, I guess they did. We also watched them on DVD (started while Buffy was in its last season) and generally alternated one disc at a time, unless we knew there was a crossover. I never disliked Angel, but must admit that we started season 5 last summer (I'd say we watched 90&#37; of the two series during the last 6 or 7 summers) and I figured that even when the fall shows started we'd keep watching until we were done, but we haven't.

11. unicorngoddess

unicorngoddess Wooooonicorngodess

Nov 19, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I found it much easier to watch simulataniously. Season 3 I believe is the best...maybe it was 4. I'm pretty sure it was 3. Things got too weird in the last season though and then it got canceled and then it started getting good.

12. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    With my failing memory, I'm not sure but didn't he run an ad for Angel's detective agency,

where he advertised their low rats? :D

13. LoadStar

LoadStar I voted! Did you?

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I disagree - the last season was surprisingly good, particularly considering they had their budget slashed by the WB down to absolute bare-bones levels.

Season 4 was the really epically weird one, although I don't totally fault the show for that one.
    Season 4 was the one where Cordelia gets knocked up by Connor and gives birth to a demi-god (Jasmine, played by Gina Torres, another one of those consolation prize roles that Joss handed out after Firefly got canceled).

The reason I don't fault the show is that it wasn't at ALL the plot that Joss and David Greenwalt had planned to do, supposedly... Charisma's real-life pregnancy forced their hand.

14. unicorngoddess

unicorngoddess Wooooonicorngodess

Nov 19, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Ah, yes. Season 4 was weird too, but I still feel as if Season 5 could have been better.

I wasn't very fond of the switch to the team working for/at Wolfram & Hart.

15. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    FWIW,
    Seasons 2 and 3 were my favorites, but the story of how they wound up at the Hotel at the beginning of S2 has to got to be one of my favorite episodes, and I always loved the hotel sets.

Diane

16. Sherminator

Sherminator ɹǝs∩ pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝᴚ

Nov 24, 2004
    Lafayette, IN
    Knowing that Glenn Quinn died a few years after Doyle's death, the scene where Cordy plays back the commercial is quite poignant now IMO. Albeit that Doyle died saving innocent demons & humans, whilst Quinn was killed by his addiction.

17. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Some parts of season 4 were just god-awful. I liked season 5.