Andromeda Strain mini-series on A&E - Memorial Day weekend

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by windracer, May 8, 2008.

1. May 8, 2008 #1 of 85
    windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL

Advertisements

Heard about this on a podcast this morning on my way into work. With Ridley Scott involved, it sounds like it could be pretty good.

http://www.aetv.com/the-andromeda-strain/

2. May 8, 2008 #2 of 85
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Wow....that looks good....great pedigree with Ridley Scott involved....I'm all over this....don't know, however, if I can wait until Memorial Day weekend. I may have to get the DVDs. Thanks for the alert.

3. May 9, 2008 #3 of 85
    Bilbrey

Bilbrey Active Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Sunnyvale,...
    Sorry, I'm skeptical that they can make a modern remake without ruining it.
    But I'm hoping... The original was one of my favorite films.

4. May 9, 2008 #4 of 85
    TiVo Steve

TiVo Steve New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Seattle WA.
    It's VERY well done! Not your typical remake. Runtime 2:50 (DVD version). :)

I wonder how many "hours" it will run on A&E... :rolleyes:

5. May 9, 2008 #5 of 85
    foamy909

foamy909 Member

Mar 29, 2005

Advertisements

Any indication that it will be aired in HD? A&E HD is normally pretty worthless, unless you are a fan of CSI:Miami and humorously-dubbed re-airs of The Sopranos...

Edit: It states in the pop-up that it will be in Hi-Def...

6. May 9, 2008 #6 of 85
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I think it's four hours (split over two days). Hows the audio on those DVDs? DD5.1?

7. May 9, 2008 #7 of 85
    cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thinking the same thing...

8. May 9, 2008 #8 of 85
    cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Per Amazon, DVD release date is June 3rd.

9. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Just to clarify, according to the cable channel's website, it'll be aired on Memorial Day, not on the weekend (unless you consider Monday part of a three-day).

10. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

How did you see it? A & E won't show it until the 26th and apparently it won't be out on disc until June.

11. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    It's been available by Bittorrent since late April.

12. Bilbrey

Bilbrey Active Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Sunnyvale,...
    Is that the Chinese knock off version?
    :D

13. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    For a remake, it's pretty well done.

But I think everything they added to the miniseries over the original movie watered down the story and turned it into a proselytizing diatribe with a preachy overtone.

In other words, it could certainly have been a lot worse, but the original movie really was still much better. Maybe someone will trim out all the crap they added in the remake and edit it down to something better.

It at least gives me a little hope that the remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still won't be totally trashing the original.

14. Bilbrey

Bilbrey Active Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Sunnyvale,...
    Someone is remaking the "Day the Earth Stood Still"?

This boggles me. That with all the great ideas and stories for great movies, they go back and remake an old title because that must be easier to sell to the studios than an untried new movie...

I applaud the risk takers that bring us new films.

Rarely does a remake justify the effort. Yes, it does happen, but imagine all the great new films that might have been, instead of an old story with a new retelling...

Or perhaps some folks just think, we will keep remaking it till we get it right... (like... "The Hulk"???) ;)

15. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Andromeda Strain was also one of my favorite movies. Last year when I tried to watch it again I found it to be extrememly boring. A remake wouldn't be a bad idea.

16. MsMurray

MsMurray New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Part 2 of The Andromeda Strain doesn't air until Tuesday, the 27th, at 9 p.m. EDT.

17. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I've had some problems with this one. First, I set up an ARWL, FRO (to avoid the original movie), but that didn't pick up the new one. When I changed it to FR and reruns, it picked it up. Apparently, TiVo thinks it's a rerun. Then, it didn't pick up the second episode, and when I manually selected the second one, TiVo dropped the first; apparently, TiVo thinks it's just a one-shot movie with twice as many showings. So in the end, I had to manually select both episodes.

(S3, by the way.)

18. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Wasn't the original based on a novel? Wouldn't that mean the original may have left out a bunch of stuff the new one includes?

Not with Neo playing Klaatu.

Let's see if they even make the robot have the name "Gort" or go back to the original story and call him "Gnut".

"Gort...Klaatu, verada, nik....nik...oh-oh...what was that last part?"

19. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    HULK's not a remake. It's not an origin story. It may not even be taking place in the same "universe" as the one with Bana.

They just figure that with the other movie still fairly fresh in people's minds, the audience will know the Hulk story well enough where this one will make sense, even if Norton's Banner has a slightly different past than Bana's did.

20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I never saw the Bana one.... Are you saying neither of them had the same origin as the TV show (which I possibly incorrectly thought was faithful to the comics)? Scientist gets hit by gamma rays and Hulks out when he gets angry...?