android utterly unable to recover from slightest network glitch

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by tomhorsley, Dec 17, 2014.

1. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010

Advertisements

At least I assume it was a network glitch :). I can usually stream on my local wifi network flawlessly, but every so often, the video and audio will freeze and a spinning arrow will come up. I can wait any amount of time (I've given it as long as 15 minutes out of curiosity before) and all I see is the spinning arrow.

If I completely exit the tivo app and start it up again and stream the same program, I can drag the progress bar button out to the end and catch up with live TV again and it is once more working perfectly.

I don't know what the heck it thinks it is doing when the spinning arrow comes up, but recovering from a glitch is apparently never gonna happen.

2. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I've seen this myself. I've also had issues restarting after one of these incidents while away from home. It's really difficult to trouble shoot when you can't actually be in another place at the same time.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They've only recently got these kinds of bugs worked out of the iOS app, so given that the Android version is new it may take a few more iterations before they work out all the kinks.

4. Gadfly

Gadfly Member

Oct 27, 2007
    I have seen it too. Unfortunately the problem with Tivo's networking code is widespread. Mini quite often disconnects from the Tivo and you have to connect again.

Tivo's software is crap, utter crap. They don't know how to write code. Unfortunately in the absence of competition we have to live with their crap.

5. vectorcatch

vectorcatch New Member

Nov 20, 2008

Advertisements

I would argue it has nothing to do with knowing how to write code. They could be the best coders on the planet, but didn't account for error cases very well. This is very common and not super easy to deal with. Everyone always designs for best case and wireless is anything but best case.

6. Gadfly

Gadfly Member

Oct 27, 2007

"Accounting for error cases" in particular when it comes to networking applications is the definition of writing good code.

7. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    According to TiVo a redesigned Android app should show up in February.

8. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    And if it doesn't include downloads will probably be equally as worthless as the current one for OOH.