android tivo stream app not working. says unauthorized modifications detected

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by ddorbuck, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Sep 30, 2014 #1 of 139
    ddorbuck

ddorbuck New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    hey all. I downloaded the new tivo app for my android phone this morning expecting to be able to stream shows to my device but my excitement was quickly extinguished with the error "unauthorized modifications detected" and I could not stream to my phone. Now not blow this out of perportion but my android is stock android 4.4.4 on my moto x (gen 1). I did have developer options turned on to speed up menu speed but i disabled that and rebooted. My phone is not rooted nor do i run any third party launcher. Just the google now launcher. Its pretty much stock android.

So I have a feeling i am out of luck getting this to work but does anyone have a list from tivo on what it determines as being unauthorized mods?

Thanks.

2. Sep 30, 2014 #2 of 139
    ilovedvrs

ilovedvrs Member

Oct 20, 2004
    try turning off developer options?

I was surprised it worked on my non-rooted oneplus one phone.

I expected it not to work.

3. Sep 30, 2014 #3 of 139
    ddorbuck

ddorbuck New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    no change with developer options turned off. app not working. same error "unauthorized modifications detected"

I work in IT and have most of my life. Its stuff like this that reminds me concerning android why we cant have nice things.

4. Sep 30, 2014 #4 of 139
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    So you are saying you have not rooted your device?

5. Sep 30, 2014 #5 of 139
    profet

profet Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Years of waiting for this...

Running Cyanogenmod 11 on a Samasung Galaxy S4.

Getting Unauthorized.

This is my last tivo product.

6. Sep 30, 2014 #6 of 139
    ddorbuck

ddorbuck New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    crxssi, yes my device is stock android 4.4.4 not rooted.

7. Sep 30, 2014 #7 of 139
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    The IOS app doesn't work on rooted Apple products either, so this shouldn't be much of a surprise - actually it is very much expected behavior.

After a few weeks the root community was able to cloak rooted IOS devices so they could work - if you want to keep a rooted phone - I would look to that community for assistance.

8. Sep 30, 2014 #8 of 139
    ott918

ott918 New Member

Sep 30, 2014
    I'm seeing the same issue with my moto x, also never rooted and I don't have developer options turned on. I haven't done anything that I can think of that would have caused this problem. I did order this right when the first came out and have the "custom phrase" when I power on the phone, do you think that might be related?

My fiancee's Galaxy S5 works fine to stream, so it's definitely something related to my phone.

I attempted to contact Tivo and they suggested removing the app, rebooting, and reinstalling, but I continue to face the same issue.

Any thoughts?

9. Sep 30, 2014 #9 of 139
    steveliv

steveliv Member

Mar 9, 2006
    in a similar boat with an unrooted, but unlocked bootloader moto x (2013).

Update:

connecting to wifi in the house allows for in house streaming, but still the same issue trying to stream over 4g.

Attached Files:

10. Sep 30, 2014 #10 of 139
    1hodgkry

1hodgkry New Member

May 21, 2010
    Same issue on my unrooted S4. I did have developer options enabled, but have since disabled them. Did not fix it. However, the developer options menu is still visible in the settings menu (The menu is not visible by default). I am wondering if re-hiding the developer options menu will make any effect. Unfortunately the only solution on a Samsung device is factory reset. On non-Samsung devices the following will re-hide the developer options menu...

Re-Hide Developer Options:

go to your apps (menu -settings - apps, or menu - manage apps)
    Under "All," scroll down until you find "Settings"
    Tap on settings and then clear data/cache

This will NOT reset any settings, it will simply remove Developer options from the Settings menu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qnsU1yiH_w

11. Sep 30, 2014 #11 of 139
    steveliv

steveliv Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Same behavior on my wife's Galaxy S4... the support page says that the streaming out of home function doesn't require any special open Inbound ports... not sure what is going on here...

12. Sep 30, 2014 #12 of 139
    ott918

ott918 New Member

Sep 30, 2014
    I tried clearing the data and cache just to try something and it didn't work either. It doesn't seem to be consistent based on the model so maybe it is something else like an app?

13. Sep 30, 2014 #13 of 139
    ddorbuck

ddorbuck New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    hey all, I have tried a number of things through the day to try and get this working on my stock moto x. Some items done were I re-hid the developer options menu, restarted phone, switched back to the stock launcher from the google now launcher. All resulted in no change, same error. My wife also has the same phone as me and I tried it on hers and same error and wont stream. I am not lucky like others where it streams inside your home, no streaming at all for me.

Not sure how TiVo will address this since I wonder if we are the minority on this app throwing this specific error?

my one thought is what kernel runtime are you using that gives this error? I had switched to ART a while ago for speed and not using Delvik on mine or my wifes.
    Is this it? Is the runtime causing this issue?

Thanks all for the comments. doug

14. Oct 1, 2014 #14 of 139
    PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I had to reinstall the original/official ROM on my Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 {SM-T217S} "Hide my ROOT" didn't work.

15. Oct 1, 2014 #15 of 139
    Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006

The odds that TiVo has tested this app in ART are pretty slim. I'm not saying that caused it, but I am saying, that's a testing scenario that is unlikely to have come up on a small team of inexperienced android developers.

16. Oct 1, 2014 #16 of 139
    mustang1068

mustang1068 New Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Same error on Moto G - not rooted or modified in any way

we waited 2 years for this?

17. Oct 1, 2014 #17 of 139
    1hodgkry

1hodgkry New Member

May 21, 2010
    Has anyone contacted Tivo Support regarding this?

18. Oct 1, 2014 #18 of 139
    ott918

ott918 New Member

Sep 30, 2014
    I have been in contact with Tivo support. Here are the two replies, neither of which has done anything for me:

And after the first reply, I asked about the custom start-up wording that was added to my phone when I bought it and customized it:

But others are seeing issues with phones other than the Moto X, so I presume that customization that AT&T/Motorola did to the phone is not the cause, nor do I know how to change or remove it.

And as far as kernel runtime, mine is on Dalvik.

19. Oct 1, 2014 #19 of 139
    TiVoMargret

TiVoMargret VP Product Dev & Chief Design Officer, TiVo

Feb 2, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Hi all,

We are looking into why some configurations are reported as being rooted when they are not. At some point I may ask for volunteers to help troubleshoot. (We are working with a few customers already.)

Hang tight -- we're working to figure this out.

--Margret

20. Oct 2, 2014 #20 of 139
    1hodgkry

1hodgkry New Member

May 21, 2010
    I got finally got it to work on my Samsung Galaxy S4. I went to http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares, and downloaded the official firmware for my device and carrier and flashed it to my phone using Odin3. I chose this method over a factory reset, because all it does is overwrite your current firmware, and does not require you to setup your phone and all of your apps again. I believe that Odin3 is only compatible with Samsung devices.

This phone has NEVER been rooted, but i did enable the developer options a few weeks ago. Disabling developer options did not fix the issue for me. I don't know if that messed with something on my phone, but flashing the official firmware seemed to overwrite whatever was causing streaming issues. I was on 4.4.2 before, and just flashed the official 4.4.2 on top of it. Here is a youtube video if it helps anyone.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGZGSqCZvvk[/media]

Just for fun, I re-enabled developer options in my phone, and it did not effect streaming ability.