Android app displays EPISODE NAMES without PROGRAM TITLES

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Furmaniac, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Furmaniac

Furmaniac Active Member

Apr 3, 2018
    I can't find a posting that indicates that the Android app displays EPISODE NAMES without PROGRAM TITLES. (I don't have IOS so I don't know what that displays.)
    I see this issue in the Guide, I see this in My Shows when you select a WishList or OnePass, I see this on the To Do list.
    It's a pain in the neck! Why hasn't anybody ever discussed this?

By the way ... as I write this on my Android phone Samsung S9+, the software would not permit me to enter a tag. Strange.

2. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Active Member

Nov 27, 2014
    I've given up on the app altogether. Requests for new passwords and reload is not my idea of fun.

3. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Because I don't see it? Is this an option or something? I don't see any options to change any of what I am seeing (described below). I think I am misunderstanding what the OP is trying to say. My guide shows the Program Title, not the Episode Name. I have to tap the Program Title to get a full description, which includes the Episode Name.

e.g., my guide shows, NCIS: Los Angeles on one channel, Law & Order on another, Law & Order: SVU on another. (that's what you get on ION, WE, and USA on a Sunday afternoon). I have to tap it to get the full description which includes the Episode Name, e.g. for NCIS:LA, it shows S6E5 'Black Budget' followed by the episode description and other info.

The guide is horribly painful to use. I can't imagine ever using it for real. I only use the Android app for wifi streaming of recorded shows.

For a 1P, My Shows displays Program Title and Episode Name. e.g., I see
    Chopped NEW
    'Grilled:Bacon, Burgers And Beer' Thu 7/11
    when there is just one episode. If there are multiples, e.g. it shows
    Archer [6] NEW Wed 7/10
    and then when I open the folder, it shows the full description for the latest episode, followed by all six, which shows episode name, date, etc, e.g.
    'Archer: 1999 -Road Trip' Wed 7/10
    S10 E6 NEW
    'Archer: 1999 - Mr. Deadly [truncated] Wed 6/26
    S10 E5 NEW

Same with the To Do List. I just see the Program Title. e.g.,
    Today
    6:00pm Naked and Afraid [truncated] 1263 HD
    7:00pm Big Brother NEW 1002 [for some reason, it doesn't show HD, even though it is]
    8:00pm Instinct NEW 1002 HD
    9:00pm Top Gear NEW 1242 HD
    Again clicking on any of those entries shows the full description, e.g
    Instinct
    S2 E3 'Finders Keepers' NEW
    [description follows, plus categories, length, OAD, etc]

This is TiVo App v4.2.3, Android v5.1.1, on an antique, 2016 Samsung J3.

4. Furmaniac

Furmaniac Active Member

Apr 3, 2018
    I have v4.2.3-1272615. Doesn't show program names only eps. Anyone else? Weird!

5. Furmaniac

Furmaniac Active Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Also wouldn't it be nice if all the screens were in landscape mode? I hate it when I'm watching a show and I finish it and now I have to turn the phone or tablet 90 degrees.

6. JohnS-MI

JohnS-MI Active Member

Jan 25, 2014
    SE MI
    Version 4.2.3 released a few days ago fixed that, but I had to manually update.

7. JohnS-MI

JohnS-MI Active Member

Jan 25, 2014
    SE MI
    I'm not seeing that. I only see program titles unless I click on program for details.

8. Furmaniac

Furmaniac Active Member

Apr 3, 2018
    I may have erred. The Android app displays EPISODE NAMES without PROGRAM TITLES when clicking on a WishList on the mMy Shows screen.
    I I thought I saw this issue in the Guide yesterday but it does appear correct today.
    It's a problem with WishList displays .I use them in lieu of OnePasses because I love keeping my shows in folders by category, so I have a lot of WishLists.
    It's a pain in the neck not seeing the program names. The picture to the left of the episode usually has a play icon and no program name! Why hasn't anybody ever discussed this?

9. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Now I understand what you mean. I just checked out one of my few wishlist folders. Wishlist for actress Ksenia Solo... currently has S1E1-E10 of Project Blue Book. When I go into the folder, it just shows episode titles. In this case, they are all for the same show. However, if the wishlist picks up episodes of other programs she is in, they will appear in the same folder, with only the episode title. No way to differentiate between Project Blue Book, and, say, Lost Girl.

Never been a problem for me in actual usage. My use of wishlists tends to be more focused than your more general usage, and I don't have many wishlists.