Analog Phone Line and FCC

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Jim_D, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Dec 3, 2015 #1 of 55
    Jim_D

Jim_D New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    My parents have a Tivo Series 3 HD unit and get their guide data by plugging their traditional analog phone line into the back of the Tivo unit.

They have comcast cable and use cable cards and neither have, nor want internet service.

Just recently, the guide data stopped updating. They started calling comcast and Tivo and are being told that as of 12/1, there is some sort of FCC ruling that either forces (or allows) them to use digital phones and that analog phone connections to their Tivo will no longer work.

They are then being told that they will need to get a router. The router plugs into the back of the Tivo and into an electrical plug. I've repeated asked them what do they plug the router into -- to route? My parents are in their 70s and have no idea what I'm talking about and no idea what comcast or Tivo are talking about.

Has anyone else had problems with plugging their Tivo into the phone line? and if so, do you know what may be going on with this 12/1 FCC thing?

Thanks,
    Jim_D,

2. Dec 3, 2015 #2 of 55
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The router connects to a modem for cable or DSL, but since they do not have any internet, that will not work either.

3. Dec 3, 2015 #3 of 55
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Who is their phone service with? What is being reported when they manually make the connection to TiVo?

Scott

4. Dec 4, 2015 #4 of 55
    Jim_D

Jim_D New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    They have a POTS line from Verizon.

I don't know what the response is when they purposefully tell the tivo to connect.

They just tell me that the program guide is not being populated, it just says unavailable.

JimD,

5. Dec 4, 2015 #5 of 55
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    That's a huge piece of valuable info, TYVM
    That means that there's no possible reason you need to deal with Comcast so not sure why a call was made to them, and as usual they proved their CSRs are sans clue.
    There's a possibility that the number your folks are calling into is dead, this happens at times as Tivo trims the analog lines and you can test by manually dialing it to see if it answers with a modem. The good news is that if you want to troubleshoot you can call Tivo and they should be able to help diagnose.

6. Dec 4, 2015 #6 of 55
    Jim_D

Jim_D New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    They called Tivo Tech. Support and were told that some sort of FCC ruling has gone into effect on December 1st and that it has something to do with digital phone lines vs analog phone lines that they are just out of luck. (But you can buy a new Tivo and hook it up to the internet -- you have internet don't you?)

My brother called them and said that tivo was disabling or abandoning their older units and the software on them. Not sure, wasn't there, however, he doesn't have a lot of patience.

It just seems odd that if Tivo was turning off all their phone lines for program data that I'm not hearing screams from all over.

Is there a place I can fine a list of phone numbers they can try for their area?
    Thanks,
    Jim_D,

7. Dec 4, 2015 #7 of 55
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Do they have neighbors? I assume they live in an apartment complex. When you are there, use your phone and search for any WiFi signals at the Tivo location.

You can get a Tivo Wireless G USB network adapter, and get connected (borrow) to a neighbor's Wifi Connection (with their permission and get the WiFi password.)

8. Dec 4, 2015 #8 of 55
    Jim_D

Jim_D New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    They live in a single family home and no wifi signal reachable.

9. Dec 4, 2015 #9 of 55
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Go to Freedompop.com and buy a Hotspot device. Using a Tivo G USB adapter on the Tivo.
    They can get free 500 MB of data every month. It may be more than enough data for a month, since there is no software updates for Series 3 any more, just guide data. A device is about $40. The carrier is Sprint.

I have a hotspot device, 4G LTE which delivered 8MB down/4MB up speeds.

10. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Why would the FCC tell TiVo it was okay to no longer provide dial in service for units designed to be able to dial in if the owners have a POTS line?

Or are they saying the local phone company can provide what looks like a POTS line but has digital something or the other that breaks backwards compatibility for some things?

And wouldn't that screw things up for people still using dial-up ISPs, and for fax machines and who knows what else?

So are these folks getting screwed by TiVo or by the local phone company?

11. Jim_D

Jim_D New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Has anyone heard of Tivo turning off their dial up lines?

12. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Dear lord, 877-367-8486

13. Jim_D

Jim_D New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Thank you for their phone number, I can look that up myself.

I haven't been to my folks house to see what the Tivo is or is not doing, so can not tell the technician. The feedback I'm hearing from my folks doesn't make sense.

I came here, because I thought that if Tivo was making such a radical change as to turning off their dial up support, someone here would know and might be able to explain it.

I have sent an email to Tivo TS and am waiting for a response.
    Jim_D,

14. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The answer is most likely they haven't made such a change, there is something missing in this story that will probably be the key in resolving it.

15. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Have your parents press the tivo guy, will take them to tivo central go down 6 to MESSAGES AND SETTINGS press select go down 1 to SETTINGS select go down 5 to PHONE at top will say why last attempt failed can go down 3 to TEST PHONE or the first is CONNECT TO TIVO NOW. tell us what reason is stated for last failed no dial tone- call interrupted- S03 error etc.

16. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are they answering the phone any faster than the online chat support?

I gave up after 45 minutes.

17. Jim_D

Jim_D New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Spoke to my dad yesterday, while troubleshooting with the Tivo support tech., they tried several phone numbers, none worked.

Here's what he said is happening when they try to force a call.

It goes through the normal call setup and dials out.

Then it says it is downloading. After 3 to 5 minutes an error message pops up on the screen saying it failed.

18. Jim_D

Jim_D New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Is there anyone out there who is using a Series 3 HD Unit, using the phone line for program updates?

19. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I doubt you are going to find many people with S3's that are using phone lines. There are still some S1 users out there though.

Scott

20. Jim_D

Jim_D New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    There is another thread, found it and then lost it. My apologies.

I don't know what this means, but it sounds like nails in a coffin.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015