Analog cable vs OTA channel selection

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rgbrooks, Jun 8, 2011.

1. rgbrooks

rgbrooks New Member

Jun 2, 2011
    I have the limited cable (analog) and OTA. Does the series 3 OLED let you choose which channel is selected when doing the seasons pass? Most of the time I would prefer the OTA because it is mostly HD, but because of reception issues with the antenna it would sometimes prefer the analog cable station.

Thansk.

2. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    My TivoHD does, and I assume your S3 is the same. The OTA channels are of the form channel-subchannel, ie, 2-1, 2-2, etc, while my analog cable chanels are all just digits with no subchannel, ie, 2. When selecting a season pass you can choose. I've actually removed the cable channels that are duplicates of OTAs from my channel list.

3. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    All season passes are channel-specific.

4. markens

markens Member

Apr 12, 2007
    As has been said, each season pass records from the specific channel it was set up for. To amplify: It's possible to specify multiple season passes for the same program for different channels. The order of the season passes determines which one gets priority.

It's also possible to distinguish between multiple OTA channels with the same virtual channel number (2-1 etc) by noting the station id. This situation is is common in areas with low power translators.

Note that wishlists may record from any channel that is marked as "received" (and the TiVo usually selects the first suitable channel marked as being received).

5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    first as being lowest channel #.

6. mjh

mjh Re: Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Many cable providers offer all the broadcast channels to your box via ClearQAM. That said, you'll probably need a cablecard from your cableco in order to effectively use them. Details here: http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/298

This might help you get more reliable (although compressed) HD stations.

7. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Exactly. It is the Wish Lists that one can run into the problem of which channel to record from, I believe.

8. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    If you receive the channel in free HDTV over the air and also get the same channel on analog cable, I would just remove the analog version of that channel.

Assuming you have a large enough hard drive, there's no reason to keep the fuzzy analog version of any station you can receive reliably over the air. Get rid of CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, PBS, et cetera if you can get them consistently with an over the air antenna.:up: