An extra TiVo appears on my network?!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by vanclute, Oct 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. vanclute

vanclute Member

Aug 3, 2003

Advertisements

I'm completely baffled by this. We own 4 TiVos currently - 2 Premieres, a Roamio Pro, and a Mini. They all appear correctly on the network, have their IPs, are wired (no wifi), etc.

But there is also mysteriously an extra one with its own IP. It had previously been named "Tivo Mini" in the Xfinity app, so apparently at some point I believed it to be the mini. But it definitely is not now and I can't figure out what it is. Is an old DHCP lease not being released or something? The Xfinity app says I need to remove the device from the network first if I want to forget it in the app, but obviously I can't really do that.

Another oddity. The mystery device appears to my router as "TIVO-8400001903313A3-3" and the Roamio appears as "TIVO-8400001903313A3". Same number but with -3 added to it. It seems like somehow the Roamio is registering itself twice on the network, but that makes no sense to me. It would fit that it was once named Tivo Mini, since that device is powered off the Roamio anyway, but the mini appears on a different IP by the name of "TIVO-A920001905962F1"

I have rebooted the Roamio, the Mini, and the modem just to cover my bases. Unplugging the mini entirely also changed nothing, so whatever this device is it doesn't appear to be the mini.

Anyone have any insights on this wackiness?

2. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    It could be the streaming device in the Roamio Pro.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  3. vanclute

vanclute Member

Aug 3, 2003
    The streaming device? Not sure what that means... could you elaborate? The Roamio already appears under a different name and IP. Oh also not that it should matter I don't think, but there are no cable cards in any of the TiVos, they are just used for Streambaby or playback of previous recordings at this point.

4. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Roamio Pros have both their normal network adaptor to do their routine networking connection, and separate ethernet adapter for streaming.

5. vanclute

vanclute Member

Aug 3, 2003

Advertisements

Hmmm ok interesting, but when you say "streaming" are you referring to the various apps like Netflix and such? Because I never use those at all. But I suppose if it's got a physical adapter there just for them, it would still grab an IP and register itself. Certainly fits having the exact same ID so I'm going to assume it's the case unless anyone else can provide an alternative. Thanks!

6. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    There was once a time when Tivo's didn't have streaming capabilities (to cell phones, tablets, etc...). To get such functionality, you had to buy a second box, called a Tivo Stream. It sat on the network, and talked to the Tivo, it talked to your phone/tablet, and bridged media between the two. (Two boxes, two ip addresses).

Tivo's with streaming capability (like the Roamio Pro) - have both features, and work in the same way. The Tivo part has a MAC address, and pulls an IP address. The Stream part has a different MAC address, and pulls an different IP address.

So in your case, what you're seeing is perfectly normal, and you're not imagining things. The Roamio Pro is indeed pulling two IP addresses.

vanclute likes this.
  7. vanclute

vanclute Member

Aug 3, 2003
    Ahhh gotcha, I skipped over the Stream box generation so had no idea. Thanks for clarifying!