Amputated Thumbs!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by eugene19, Jun 8, 2019.

Can my thumbs be recovered?

Poll closed Jan 8, 2020.
  1. If recovered how could they be used repeatedly and easily?

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Tivo says this is the end of "thumbs". Are they correct?

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jun 8, 2019 #1 of 27
    eugene19

eugene19 New Member

Jun 2, 2019
    San Marcos,...
    Tivo deleted (7 days ago) ten years of "my thumbs ratings'" for thousands of movies.
    I am still coming to terms with my amputated thumbs. Scrolling through the weekly "line-up" of movies (to record), with no thumbs designating movies I already know is arduous! Tivo is/was 1st and foremost a DVR. Using it to record some of the "rare finds" in the line up (often played late at night) is 50 times slower. Nearly everything must be read and pondered. Have I seen it? Did I like it? Is it too soon to see it again?

I even spent hundreds of hours transferring my "known thumbs" from my Premier into my Bolt (ONE AT A TIME) because Tivo did not see the wisdom of including them in the transfer of the memory.

Where are their new "% of people who liked it" numbers coming from if not from "our" thumbs?

2. Jun 8, 2019 #2 of 27
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Do we really need another thread. As for % of people who liked it: that is not the way the algorithm worked. The thumbs were used to determine your tastes. The suggestions were based on your tastes, not the number of people who liked a show or movie. At least that was the theory. It didn’t always work well. What you watch can be used or things like “you may also like.” The thumbs weren’t used to pair Shows with suggestions. They were used to determine what you may like.

UCLABB, unclehonkey and dianebrat like this.
  3. Jun 8, 2019 #3 of 27
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    But it often did/does: my Suggestions accuracy under TE3 currently is at around 80% +.

4. Jun 8, 2019 #4 of 27
    exdishguy

exdishguy Active Member

Apr 30, 2004
    I think they come from Metacritic - Movie Reviews, TV Reviews, Game Reviews, and Music Reviews now. I too hate them. I too can't believe they didn't try to improve suggestions with the thumbs ratings to create a more personal experience. But as you can see, some get very angry when folks like you and I dare to complain about lost features.

setx70 and Mikeguy like this.
  5. Jun 8, 2019 #5 of 27
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    add me into the "did we really need ANOTHER thumbs thread?" OP there are at least 3 or 4 others ongoing and you even participated in one of the others before opening this new extraneous one...

6. Jun 8, 2019 #6 of 27
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    aaronwt, tim1724, fcfc2 and 3 others like this.
  7. Jun 8, 2019 #7 of 27
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Not my experience unless you include things that I already watched as a hit.

8. Jun 8, 2019 #8 of 27
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    This survey makes no sense. Ignore.

Kaphka and krkaufman like this.
  9. Jun 8, 2019 #9 of 27
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Apparently, I win the golden ticket. ;)

10. eugene19

eugene19 New Member

Jun 2, 2019
    San Marcos,...
    I'm sorry I did not understand better how this forum works. Signing up seemed to "require" me to start a survey where 2 questions had to be proposed in order to proceed...feel free to ignore...should I delete them?

None of the "thumbs threads" seemed to be addressing how "very useful" they are. Useful to "race through" a few hundred movies in a weeks worth of programing (on 30 premium channels) at lightning speed, reading only those lacking thumbs. Thumbs up, I've seen it, down, not again. Was I the only one?

It took me ten years to "figure out" the usefulness of it and ten more years to perfect using it (for MY PURPOSE). Perhaps like Richard Dreyfuss in "Encounters of the 3rd kind, I was the only one sculpting mashed potatoes into a mountain peak. I will be happy to delete this thread also. Should I only be talking/asking about thumbs on (much older & not to my point) "thumbs threads"? New here. New anywhere. I never interacted on the internet. I watch movies at night after work.

I thought tivo deleting billions of thumbs, on millions of Bolts, without notice, without permission, in one night would be headline news on something called "Tivo Community Forum". Clearly I must come to terms with the fact that my "amputated thumbs" were not kept on Ice and cannot be reattached. Too few people were sculpting peaks out of mashed potatoes.

11. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The point we're all making is that while none of the bazillion existing thumbs threads might have been perfect for your discussion, adding some more comments into an existing thumbs thread that was heading that way is a great way to get those involved in discussing thumbs issues already to continue to do so.

The topic of thumbs and by default how the TE4/Hydra experience handles them is something that isn't a surprise, TE4 has its own set of rules and limitations and people who like it take on its flaws as acceptable and those that prefer the older TE3 experience feel that the choices made by Tivo for the new TE4 experience are not right for us, things like losing intra device transfers, thumbs issues, losing LiveGuide, etc. This set of items and discussion of the two different experiences alone is a cottage industry of threads.

This is why it's always best to grab your favorite beverage and cruise around for a while before jumping in both feet first.

eugene19 likes this.
  12. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    What’s a thumb.;)

13. eugene19

eugene19 New Member

Jun 2, 2019
    San Marcos,...

14. eugene19

eugene19 New Member

Jun 2, 2019
    San Marcos,...
    Thanks for your time and the clarity of your points. I took a brief look/cruise around your TE3 Vs TE4 subject. I guess this is "My Subject" in the "Bigger Picture" which I barely understand. Looks like reverting back to TE3 would not restore my thumbs. I will try to find things I might like about this TE/4 program and be happy again.

The incredibly articulate TIVO rep (from maybe the Philippines) was very sympathetic (when I called) the next morning (after the Overnight Purge). She even called me back two days later to see how I was doing! Nice touch! Thanks for your input!

15. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They don't use the Thumbs data anymore anyway, so it doesn't matter if you get them back or not. They're using some new AI engine that's suppose to record suggestions based on what you watch rather than having to manually give thumbs up/down to everything.

16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    ... unless they revert to TE3.

17. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Don't you lose everything if you revert anyway?

So unless you had to forsite to back up the thumbs before upgrading to TE4 and then restore them after you revert you'd be SOL anyway.

18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Right.

But my post (forgetting the thread’s context) was simply to highlight that Thumbs were still a thing on TE3, still inputs to the Suggestions algorithm, and so a TE3 user could begin again rating shows.

19. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Is it still used? I thought the Suggestion engine was cloud based and updated for both systems when they changed it. I know you can still input thumbs in TE3 but are they still actually used?

20. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    That was my understanding as well