America's Worst Driver

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, May 10, 2010.

1. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey

Advertisements

Anyone but me watching this on Travel Channel. I find it pretty funny!!! The final was this weekend. I haven't seen it yet!!

2. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    I've been watching most of the episodes, but lately I just watch the beginning part (intro) then FF to see whose car gets destroyed :D

3. billboard_NE

billboard_NE North Shore MA

May 18, 2005
    We watch as well, I am about three episodes behind. I love it when the drivers cry when their car is destroyed (is that wrong?).

LA episode spoiler.

That husband was a real jerk from the LA episode, he almost cried when his friends Toyota was destroyed. That guy was out of control

4. RonDawg

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    On one hand, I hope they read the fine print in their contract that said the loser was going to have their car destroyed. I'm not sure what if any compensation they get from it, probably none.

OTOH some folks brought surprisingly recent-vintage vehicles, with the risk that if they lost the competition, they would be destroyed. If I was a contestant that had a car that I couldn't bear to part with, I would have either turned down the offer, or else bought some $500 junker for them to trash.

I'm not sure who's the bigger idiot...borrowing your friend's car knowing it might get destroyed, or the idiot who lent him the car knowing it might get destroyed :eek:

5. Big Deficit

Big Deficit Happy now?

Jul 7, 2003

Advertisements

The loser in the show are the ones that didn't get their cars destroyed and then replaced with new ones. I thought the "losers" would have a chance to return and get a 1 in 8 chance at a new car, not a 7 in 8 chance. I'm willing to bet the ultimate loser that gets the bicycle will also get a replacement car or equivalent when the show is done, too. The ones kicking themselves should be the suckers that tried hard and ended up with their old beater and a gas card valid for a year (notice they didn't say fill ups or unlimited gas). I still want to know what happened to the 4th driver edited out of the New York challenge.

6. RonDawg

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Again many of the contestants showed up in cars that weren't all that old or in poor condition to begin with, so I wouldn't consider them "losers" for saving their vehicles from destruction. At least one (Mazda 6) was new enough that I'm not sure if it's even paid off. But a lot of them sustained some minor damage during the various challenges.

It seems though the ones who took it hardest were the ones with the POS cars.

Free gas is free gas. The ones who were unlucky (other than the ones whose cars were destroyed) were the ones in the earliest episodes that only got "free oil changes for a year."

7. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Wow. Ours (Canada's Worst Driver - already calling for participants for its sixth season) doesn't have anything that fancy. I think the worse was getting the key cut off as he was being expelled. Never scrapping anyone's cars (hell, they give rentals for the participants to drive and have a collection of vehicles to use during challenges, ranging from Ladas to a Rolls Royce(!)).

Always a fun show. Especially when they do the beginning and show all the people they rejected.

8. RonDawg

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    The way the US version works is after the introduction of the, ahem, "candidates" they do a City Challenge with their own cars, in which they are to follow a prescribed route, losing points along the way for failure to follow directions and also for any bad/illegal driving maneuvers.

There is a second challenge usng their own vehicles, often involving a challenging parking situation. For example, the San Francisco episode had contestants parallel parking on a very steep slope facing downhill, between two cars that are just long enough for their own cars to fit in. One of the contestants' cars (90's VW Jetta) was a stick shift, and you could see smoke actually pouring out of the bottom of the car as she burned up the clutch trying to reverse uphill.

The show provides cars for the remaining challenges. One of them, a yellow early 2000's Nissan Sentra, has a tank of water strapped to the roof, and any jerky throttle/brake/steering inputs will cause water to slosh into the interior (and onto the contestants) via a set of pipes. The other car is usually a Ford Focus, though for at least one episode they used an older Mitsubishi Lancer; these cars get very beat up during the reversing obstacle course which is lined with steel wheel rims.

All the contestants get to watch the loser's car get destroyed at the end, which is not revealed until the last possible moment. Sometimes they blow them up, other times a monster truck crushes them flat or some weird contraption snatches them up and cuts them in half.

9. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    But you Canadians are a lot nicer than us :D

10. Zephyr

Zephyr Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Free State...
    Yes, we've been watching. Miami was a laugh a minute. Both of us were laughing so hard, we had to get towels to wipe the tears off our faces :up:
    The humor wears off on a second view. Watched finals last weekend. Not sure there will be a sequal though.

11. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Yeah, the Canadian version is the same - the first episode starts out with the contestants starting in some parking lot and having to make their way to the rehab center. All the while, their violations are tallied.

But since they fly these guys in from all over Canada, they're always rental cars. I think in the first two seasons, they kept car keys, but the following they've taken their driver licenses instead. The worst driver has their license cut up (and there are other times when other bad driver's licenses are cut up too).

After that, it's their courses with provided cars, which basically span the spectrum from crappy Ladas to a Rolls in the last season (previous ones featured Jags and the like). And a variety of other vehicles like buses and personnel carriers and light armored vehicles (they did one at an army base).

But I LOVE the water tank challenge. The host sometimes gets a couple of drops on him, but everyone else gets a thorough soaking. Very fun. (Other challenges that have repeated included one where you have to drive through a series of narrowing pillars, and a balance beam where you have to balance the car on a point - but seat adjustment is a valid tactic when you're nearly there).

But the loser never loses their car. I'm surprised they're allowed to do that. At least thsoe who get their driver's licenses cut up can get new ones from the Motor Vehicle Branch (== Canadian DMV).