America's Got Talent: The Champions (2019)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Turtleboy, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    This should be fun. Must suck to know that only two people are going through and that you're competing against Susan Boyle.

2. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Will be interesting to see if the winners from any other countries can stand up. So far, not.

3. rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    What? Susan Boyle got the golden buzzer...?

4. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    To be fair, pmyers did say "winners," and Boyle came in second to some dance troupe.

pmyers likes this.
  5. rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    True. So, not even their best? :)

6. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    True, although as was pointed out she didn't win.....but she is definitely an anomaly. Other than her....the talent from other versions of the show, haven't really been that good (IMHO).

7. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    The 'some dance troupe' in question is Diversity, one of the best dance acts I've ever seen! There are not many who could stand up to them in competition.

Judge for yourself...

That was in 2009. Recently, this happened...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  8. Turtleboy

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I'm not sure why Susan Boyle is doing it. She's worth over $30 million. I guess she's doing it for the pride of winning?

9. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    My theory is that Susan Boyle is doing it because Simon Cowell begged her to - and I don't see how there is any way she doesn't win so they can say she is the grand champion. The judges did seem genuinely surprised to see her walk out - so - I dunno if that was acting or not.

I was disappointed there were so many recent acts on the first show.

Bianca Ryan was fabulous.

Terry Crewes? SOOOOOOO much better than Tyra Banks.

pmyers likes this.
  10. Turtleboy

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    The superfan voting is weird. I don't know how many people there are that were chosen to vote. It was all filmed in the fall.

11. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I got the impression there was one fan from each state but I guess with the way they mention demographics (you got the most votes from the south etc.) that could be totally wrong.

I must say I really enjoyed last night's show (the second episode).
    I thought everyone we knew did up their game and have gotten better and enjoyed the acts we don't know. VERY surprised at the outcome.

Surprised Heidi picked the danger act as the golden buzzer (I seem to recall her hating that act when when it was on the first time and her saying why would you do that to your wife over and over.) Surprised the singer from Spain was the one to get through, I am curious to see other performances but top 10 seemed odd.

There goes my theory that the show is rigged. I assumed the ventriloquist was going to win it last night since she is probably one of the top 5 AGT made it in the real world acts - - - and then thought the shy singer might as a means to Simon furthering her music career. She was way less annoying last night and I enjoyed the original song. Sad on me that I can't remember any of their names LOL. I am also enjoying the look of surprise from the judges when some of the acts walk out...

12. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Yeah I thought at first there was 1 fan from each state but obviously there is more based on how they are reading the votes

13. Turtleboy

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    One fan from each state would be way too far of a voting pool.

Is there a judge's wildcard for people who didn't make it?

14. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    There is "at least" one voter from each state. Also, the credits say that the voters can change from one show to the next.

Keep in mind that, based on the online form the "superfans" had to fill out, all of them live in the Los Angeles area - they don't "fly in" anybody just for the show. I think it's like how a show like, say, Jeopardy! introduces contestants as "originally from..." when they live in the LA area.

I also would not be surprised if there is some sort of America's Got Talent: The Champions tour. AFAIK, the only real prize that has been announced so far is $25,000 to the winner.

As for wild cards, well, here's a spoiler that I heard, but I have no idea how true it is:
    Apparently, Darci Lynne Farmer was spotted in the final, so apparently there is at least one Wild Card

15. Turtleboy

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Hmm.. I thought there was some private broadcast to the superfans. I guess not, as it would be impossible to prevent the footage from leaking.

16. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    is Terry Fator in it?

17. Turtleboy

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    No. At least not yet. But no.

18. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I'm such an idiot - I thought this was live and the super votes were being submitted online or something LOL

19. rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    I didn't like that arrangement of Bohemian Rhapsody at all. In my mind, I kept hearing how much better Freddie Mercury sang it.

MikeBear and markz like this.
  20. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Courtney, the Janis Joplin like singer, really improved while still maintaining her unique style. Highly impressed. Actually, i thought last night's show was just good all around. Enjoyed the danger act quite a bit, and love the guy with the juggling light balls / Cirque type routine. And that dancing crew with the lights is one of my faves too.