America's Got Talent -- surprise!

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Snowman, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Jun 5, 2007 #1 of 33
    Snowman

Snowman New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Nashville, TN

Advertisements

I am surprised it's almost an hour into the show and no one's posted yet.

I started watching it because, well, there's nothing else on. I just happened to cancel out of a pre-recorded show to see a glimpse and then set a Season Pass for it.

None of the three judges are worth much in my book. The premise just isn't very good. However, that group from Branson simply kicked butt. I would pay money to watch their show (assuming they have one). The Barry White knock-off was just plain awesome. He trainwrecked so well I'm surprised they didn't call in life support.

Even at their "meanest", the judges were decently tame.

It is MUCH better than I had even dreamed of.

2. Jun 5, 2007 #2 of 33
    Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    I'm watching only because there's nothing else to watch, but there's been some decent stuff to see, I'll keep the season pass I set up. so far, I actually like it more than Pirate Master, but that isn't saying much! There just isn't anything worth watching on TV right now!!

3. Jun 5, 2007 #3 of 33
    Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Wow what a train wreck....this is a Gong Show wanna be and a bad one at that.

4. Jun 5, 2007 #4 of 33
    Blurayfan

Blurayfan Active Member

Oct 6, 2003
    America's Got Talent is entertaining they can however improve in some areas.

5. Jun 5, 2007 #5 of 33
    hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town

Advertisements

With no family connection this time, I'll take a pass.

6. Jun 6, 2007 #6 of 33
    atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Ugh, I like the show but the editing is horrible. I know they have a lot of ground to cover, but it's very jarring the way its cut.

7. Jun 6, 2007 #7 of 33
    markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I just can't get over how many people there are on these different talent shows that are so delusional to think they are talented. Like the guy that said we have never seen moves like his. Or SEX on "SYTYCDD". What is with these people?

As for the judges...

Why do we have two Brits as judges of America's talent?

Piers is usually annoying. He thinks he is Simon.

David appeared glassy-eyed. Although I usually like what he has to say as a judge.

I do like Sharon. Maybe she'll take Piers down sometime this season!

8. Jun 6, 2007 #8 of 33
    DUDE_NJX

DUDE_NJX Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2003
    2 Brits and a German

9. Jun 6, 2007 #9 of 33
    Supfreak26

Supfreak26 Go Cowboys!

Dec 12, 2003
    McKinney, TX

Agree. Especially when they'd cut in the middle of the songs. Extremely jarring and really took away from the performances.

10. ScottE22

ScottE22 How YOU doin'?

Sep 19, 2003
    Fort...
    I like it better when they actually get down to the "core group" of performers. As with early-season eps of Idol, there is way too much focus on the "waiting room drama." I want to see the acts!

That having been said, I enjoy this as a summer series. I do have to wonder how much of the Sharon / Piers stuff was staged in some way. As pissed off as she appeared, she didn't try too hard to avoid the cameras or take her mic off.

As far as the acts - I knew as soon as the Dutton family brought out the little kids that they were going to get "X-ed" by Piers. He has no patience for family acts that showboat the littlest kids just for the "Ahhh - that's so cute!" factor.

I really enjoyed the dancing saxophonist at the end -- and I didn't expect to!! But he just made me smile. I also liked the masked dance group and the Jewel wannabe.

Like Sharon, I do get a bit uncomfortable watching 11-year-olds sing and act like adults. I thought it was just a personal hangup... It's just so unsettling to watch.

I'm looking forward to the "meat" of the season when they get past the individual city stuff.

11. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Notice one rule change from last year?
    This year, only the top 20 acts will appear in the voting rounds, instead of 40. I wonder why? (Hopefully, it's something like, "It's only going to be one hour per night in the competition rounds instead of two.")

Also, weren't there any tweenage girl singers there who didn't look like they could be Bianca Ryan's sister?

(As for it being a Gong Show wannabe, I seem to recall that, in The Gong Show's heyday, Chuck Barris announced that he was giving serious thought to running a "serious" talent show with a $1 million prize, although it apparently never got anywhere past the idea stage - unless somehow it got morphed by somebody into Star Search.)

-- Don

12. Supfreak26

Supfreak26 Go Cowboys!

Dec 12, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    On another note, does anyone else think that the little gymnastics girl that caused all the "commotion" was actually a LOT younger than 9? I'm thinking 7 at the MOST. She talked younger than my 6-year-old!

(I use quotes around commotion because I'm positive it was staged. And extremely predictable that it would happen right at the end of the first hour.)

Also, the crowd was incredibly annoying. Some dillweeds were booing before the performer even made it to the middle of the stage. And then they'd boo Piers no matter what he said. And he was right the majority of the time.

I really like the show but there are a lot of things that REALLY annoy me.

13. Snowman

Snowman New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    The only thing that would have topped it off would have been toward the end, if he'd danced down to the judges and smacked Piers button, danced a tad, hit Sharons, and then right after the end, smacked David's. I think that'd have been cute.

I'm trying to find a video of the fiddling family. I thought they called themselves "the daltons", but can't seem to find anything.

14. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
  15. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I didn't find any of the talent amazingly great... I was especially annoyed by the Jewel impersonator that raced through a song, yet the judges seemed to love her. (In her defense it may have been sped up in post production.)

Overall it felt like I was watching a mix of Letterman's stupid human tricks and street performers of varied ability. It did keep me entertained though and there's not much else on, so I might check it out again.

16. justapixel

justapixel Domestic Extremist Staff Member

Sep 27, 2001
    The Nanny State
    I thought that the talent so far was a lot less interesting than last year's. I hope we didn't use up all of America's good acts in one year. :eek:

The only guy I liked was the saxophonist at the end. I was mildly interested in the three Supremes type girls. And, I liked he guys who ...how do you describe this? Made their man breasts dance to the music. They made me laugh.

Other than that, I don't think I'd have sent anybody else through.

17. Fraser+Dief

Fraser+Dief New Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Otttawa, Canada
  18. verolacoquine

verolacoquine New Member

Jun 7, 2007
    thanks it's very funny

19. ScottE22

ScottE22 How YOU doin'?

Sep 19, 2003
    Fort...
    That would have been outstanding. What I wanted to tell him, though, was that once the act is done, you can come "out of character." Although I think he was just so pumped up about the response he got...

When he was going to initially go on stage, I was thinking, "Please - not a dancing sax player! Why isn't it enough to just play the sax well? Why does there always have to be some kind of other hook?"

Well - he pulled it off. I doubt he'll make it terribly far unless he can really crank it up another notch, but he sure as heck is fun to watch!!

20. wendiness1

wendiness1 WiiMomma

Jul 29, 2005
    Idunno
    I think some of the "talent" were set up. Like the "dancing boob" guys. There's no way they could have believed they would make the cut. I believe the staff casts some of this.

Piers (like the British guy on American Inventor) just doesn't get American culture. Middle America LOVES stuff like the Duttons bringing on the little kids at the end. He's obviously playing Simon (as is the Brit on Inventor). I guess Cowell has decided every panel needs to have one bad guy.

Piers does need to learn how to talk to kids. Or perhaps he's encouraged to be rude to them for the drama it produces. But please, don't try to flatter the kids by saying "I'm going to talk to you like a 30-year-old". Just talk to them like 10 year olds, thank you.

It usually takes a few seasons for a show like this to sink to relying on drama for ratings. America's Got Talent took a huge leap last night and sunk to the bottom immediately with that staged Osborne/Piers scene. I should have seen it coming when they brought in Springer as host.