America's Got Talent Finals - OAD 8/14/07 **Spoilers**

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by JLucPicard, Aug 14, 2007.

1. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    Cas has clearly got talent. Unfortunately for me, I am not a real fan of the type of music he sings. And there's just something about his performances - I may be much more inclined to listen to a CD or something that to see him live. Kind of a Joe Cocker mannerism thing or something. He just doesn't do it for me. But I also think he's one of only two people who proved tonight that they can win this thing.

The other? Terry Fator. I don't know that "Crying" was his best performance, but this guy flat out entertains me. And when I think of him doing a show that includes more than just the singing bits I like him even more.

I said, last week I think, that I would like to hear Butterscotch just sing once. Well, she did and I wasn't too impressed. And I was even less impressed with her finale. I just sat there thinking there's no way she wins this thing - uh uh.

Julienne is cute and all, and sings OK for a 14 year old, but she doesn't yet have what it would take to win this. I have a feeling she will make some music in the future.

When the show ended, I sat and thought about what I had seen. And the bottom line for me was that the only act I could see myself paying money to go to (other than the fact that I may have to go to Vegas to see it) was Terry Fator. I just wouldn't pay money to see any of the other 4 - or the 8 for that matter.

Not thrilled with having to wait a whole week for the result, and I am too scared to look at the listing and see if it's going to be a 60, 90 or 120 minute result show. Argh. Make it 30 and thank goodness for FastForward!

2. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    The only one left that I like is Cas. I would buy his album!! I said that several weeks ago and it's still true.

Terry is talented, but I'm not sure that he excites me that much.

Butterscoth I've fasted forwarded through so many times I have no idea if she's any good or not, I just know I don't like her style much and it just doesn't interest me.

Julienne has had enough pitch problems that I can't say I like her singing that much. She has a great voice and I have no doubt that as she gets older she'll come in to her own and have a great career.

For me, it was about who I would spend money to see or buy an album and Cas Haley is the only one that does it for me.

3. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Bad news - 2 hours. Worse news - I seem to recall that last year's finale ran slightly longer than its time slot, so anybody who recorded it and didn't add enough padding got everything but the result. I suggest a manual recording from 9:45 to 10:15, although I'm pretty sure all four finalists will get to perform again.

Who I think should win: Terry - any Vegas hotel with any brains would snap him up as soon as possible, assuming his new agents (i.e. the show's producers) don't have other plans for him. (I assume they also represent The Glamazons now, given that comment one of them made that they are going on tour.)

Who I am fairly convinced will win: Julienne - the fact that she made it into the final four convinces me she has a committed fan base (presumably mainly of girls slightly younger than she is).

What worries me: if Julienne does win, NBC might be wary of supporting a third season of what would have become a glorified version of American Juniors.

-- Don

4. brott

brott at redh dot com

Feb 23, 2001
    Pleasanton, CA
    Ah, come on .. The fact that a Ventriloquist made it to the Final Four should say something. Personally, I thought that all four Finalists performed incredibly (or brilliantly as the Aussies would say - I'm being anti-Piers). This particular show was by far - by WAY far - the best performance show of the entire season. However, Terry Fator simply stood out amongst the other four as the winner. Cas's second performance was his best of the season and did him proud and Butterscotch's beat-box performance was simply incredible (for the genre). Even Julienne was top-notch, but she needs about 2 years to get her voice stronger. I picked the final four out of the remaining eight (OK, it wasn't that hard), and I'm certain that Terry has this one in the bag.

5. brott

brott at redh dot com

Feb 23, 2001
    Pleasanton, CA
    True, but since you and I are on the West Coast, we can find the answer long before we have to wait until the end of the show :).

6. Werd2406

Werd2406 New Member

Jun 8, 2006
    I personally don't care anymore. I don't think ANY of these talents are worth 1mil....nothing very original with any of them and they don't come anywhere close to being GREAT singers worth that kind of money. I really don't think ANYone this season did....but good luck to whoever does win ;)

7. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    For me, the whole idea of any of them being worth a million is really watered down when you consider it's paid at $25,000 a year over 40 years or some "current value" lump sum now which is much less. I think someone had posted a rough number in one of these threads, but I can't remember what it was - much less than a million, though.

8. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    That says everything I was thinking.

9. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    next year i want singing banned - people who only sing with no other act - we have AI for that. (get age divisions of they must)

I was hoping this show would turn out to be more than singing but it has not. everyone is good at something and it appears they just put in other acts to fill time but know this will be a singer at the end.

10. BSUGrad

BSUGrad Member

Jan 11, 2004
    Oak Creek, WI
    I agree with this, and I've been saying it to myself (and my family) all season. I think they need to not allow solo singers. I want to see something different.

As for the finalists...the only two that I like enough to want to win are Cas & Terry. I don't get the love for Butterscotch at all. Beatboxing doesn't do it for me, and I think her straight singing is not very good. I don't think Julienne is good enough...yet.

11. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    I have to agree. :)

12. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 26, 1999
    McMurray, PA
    While I really couldn't expect the Glamazons to make it into the final four, I was sorry to see them go since I thought that they were more entertaining than Julienne Irwin. I would also have liked to see Sideswipe again, if only because their performances were notably different from what the others were doing.

I haven't yet seen Butterscotch's second performance (recording conflict, even on dual tuners :)), but her first one really bored me. I'm looking forward to seeing her second one when my TiVo catches the repeat on Saturday.

13. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I've read this comment many times on here and while I agree that I don't think this should just be a singing contest, I hate to think what the show would be like without that. I watch to be entertained, and with the non-singing acts I've seen - well, I just don't know that I'd be watching.

I think Terry Fator has been incredible, and as I mentioned earlier, I think it would be a gas to see a show of his as there would be much more there than just the singing bits we've been seeing. And for the record - in a non-solo singer program, I think what he's been doing would be just fine and fully acceptable. Some of the magicians have been entertaining enough, but I still can't understand what Kevin James was thinking with that "reanimated hand" gimmick - total stinker.

I just can't help but picture a non-singing show being full of Boy-Shakiras, Leonids, Deli-Guys ad nauseum. Or, God forbid, eight weeks of the same - SAME - act week after week of Quick Change ("Well, you can see we've got different colors this week" - it's the same #@$% ACT!).

Second Story Guys, Sideswipe, the Jamaican Tumblers - acts like that are entertaining, but I just can't see watching a whole season of nothing but things like that - that's what NBA halftime shows are for :).

And maybe I'm just jaded by the commercial world, but when they are putting a significant amount of money on the line for top prize, I just don't think rope-trick-guy or knife-throwing-guy or generic-juggling-guy or animal-act-guy or -ugh- mime/clown-guy are the types of acts I'd really want to watch competing for that -how commercially viable are they after the curtain falls?. And that's what the channel changing buttons are for, I guess. But the fact is, I have watched this whole season and have enjoyed it for the most part. I can't say that would be the case with a much scaled down version of the show.

14. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    They seriously need to have a singing division and talent division. Similar to how So You Think You Can Dance eliminates one guy and one girl each week, they should do the same here.

I don't watch American Idol because I'm not big into watching singing acts. I watch this because we get some different stuff, but in the end it all came down to singing anyways :(

That being said, the only one worthy of winning IMO is Terry Fator because he is doing something different. He will have a show in vegas...and soon.

15. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    if singers can come on here why not jugglers on AI? :)

everyone has their place. You wont see a 30 yr old in miss senior citizen, whites in miss black america, etc etc

16. Magister

Magister Fat, Dumb and Happy

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    At least this year they split the second round between straight singers and variety. The first year the judges dogged the non-singers for a long time.

Quick change is a great example of a one hit wonder with no variety to the show.

Or whats-his-face Badfinger. That got old.

I picked the final 4 from the 8 as well. And I agree it is between Cas and Terry. Don't think I would buy a CD from anyone, but I would pay to see Terry in Las Vegas. No doubt he is going to have a show at a good property.

17. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I don't understand the complaint about singers, as that requires "talent".

While I'm at it, I also don't understand why American Inventor uses such a loose definition of "inventor" to display their wares on the show, even though those people didn't make it to the end. They should have been screened from even seeing the final judges on the air. e.g., a talking stuffed doll is not an original invention. At least IMHO. That would be like saying that I invented a bicycle. Oh, sure, it's exactly like other bicycles, but instead of putting a playing card to snap between the spokes of the wheel, I use old business cards! And the paint job on the bike is plaid! So you see, it's a completely original invention! :thumbsdown:

18. Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    I so wanted Terry Fator to sing a song that one of the other contestants sang just to see if he did it better. The guy is unbelievable and the only one I would want to see preform.

Terry gets my vote, if I voted that is ;) By far the most entertaining, with Cas a close second. Butterscotch a distant third and the young lady last as she isn't ready for prime time just yet (she very well may be in a few years)

19. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    I don't see any difference between the Quick Change act or a singer. Both are doing the same repetitive act each time; one changes the costumes and the other changes the song.

I vote for Terry!

20. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    If Terry doesn't win, I'd settle for Cas.

Butterscotch and Julienne just didn't cut it IMO.

We need a poll! :D