America's Got Talent 7/28

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by That Don Guy, Jul 29, 2009.

1. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA

Advertisements

Obviously, they didn't arrange it for everybody to land in Vegas on the same day and make them stand in a hangar, but still, how bad must it be for a contestant to arrive in Vegas, then pretty much immediately be told that they're out of the competition?

Also, apparently AGT being the place for American Idol castoffs and ineligibles isn't good enough for the show any more; now they have to borrow from So You Think You Can Dance? with the "you three groups choreograph a routine to this music we're giving you" bit.

(Of course, this assumes that the things that are airing are something resembling an accurate representation of what happened in Vegas. For all I know, all of the acts auditioned again in front of the judges, with those three dance acts being told to use the same music so they could edit in the "challenge" part later.)

I am a little surprised there do not appear to be any plans for a viewer-chosen "wild card", considering that the one from last year (to replace the act that had to withdraw because of an injury) made it all the way to the final. Maybe it will happen, but if it does, NBC is being tight-lipped about it.

-- Don

2. ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    Seriously, if your "talent" is you can pass a big fish hook through your nose, you don't deserve to get out of the hangar. Alive.

IMHO, they should put an age limit on the acts. 10-year olds aren't going to win.

But why the heck did that blues guitarist get sent home in group A? He had a lot more talent than some of the acts that remained. He was too young to win, but man could that kid play.

3. Legion

Legion Member

Aug 24, 2005
    They did keep some crap acts for the sake of being cute. Those little dancing kids and the three little girls in the band. Come on.

4. Jayjoans

Jayjoans Member

Jan 22, 2003
    CA
    I can't hardly believe I watch this crap, let alone comment on it.

Sending that kid blues guitarist home and keeping that dumba$$ ancient Elvis dancer is pathetic. I can only hope they're setting us up for him to be the first alternate and come back in a blaze of bluesy glory due to a horrific death onstage featuring explosives and petroleum jelly.

5. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...

Advertisements

The best part of the night was right at the beginning when they were showing the planes landing, inferring that the contestant were on them. One was a US Airways but they blurred out the name. The second one they didn't have to blur out the name. It isn't an airliner, it is a charter jet that goes by the callsign "Janet".

I wonder which of the contestants flew in from Area 51. :D

6. That Don Guy

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    An 11-year-old (to be fair, she was a month short of her 12th birthday) did win the first season.

One question that has to be in the back of the judges' minds is whether they think the viewers (who have pretty much the entire say from this point on as to who advances from one week to the next) will like the act. Remember, an act that wasn't considered good enough by the judges for the top 40 (well, the top 20 musical acts) ended up finishing something like fourth.

Any guesses as to what effect Simon's phone call is going to have?
    (And why do I have the feeling there's more to the elimination of that first season American Idol contestant than they're letting on?)

-- Don

7. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    This is one of those shows that for me at least is only amusing to watch when the auditions are being done....once they start the shows like the ones done this weak where they rehash the previous people who made it to Vegas or whatever, I lose interest fast and pretty much stop watching the show...or at least turn it into background noise while I'm surfing the web etc.

I think the only thing that keeps my interest peak a tad more this time is I want to see if the chicken catcher dude does good and make it to the top (or near it)...he seemed like a decent down home guy who could really benefit from getting a big break...the rest of the acts I don't care about at all really.

8. That Don Guy

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Er...I have heard claims, reportedly from some of the contestants let go, that this is exactly what they did - in some cases, they arrived early in the morning and had to wait all day for everyone else to arrive. (Hopefully, they gave them somewhere to change into costume first...)

-- Don

9. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    I can't believe they let the young magician who looked like Jamie Kennedy go home. The one with the microphone stand that defied gravity when he held it.

Anyway, that was such a waste of 3 hours. They all get to Vegas for NOTHING. They are either sent home or go on to L.A. What exactly was the point of stopping in Vegas? Nobody performed. I feel like an idiot for even watching.

10. blogan

blogan New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    I like how the $1,000,000 is spread out over 40 years. If you win, you'll barely be above the poverty level for a family of 4, and that's for this year. Like you won the equivilant amount of money 40 years ago, you'd be cashing your last yearly check for around $4,000.