America's Got Talent 7/17

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by nataylor, Jul 17, 2007.

1. nataylor

nataylor Curiously Strong TCF Club

Apr 26, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Wow, Kevin James' act was bad. Real bad. What a shame.

2. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    I hate to say it but the magician is probably not going to make it thorugh..... his act was very lame tonight!

I like the Glam girls, forget the name of their group.... but I do like them!

3. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    Glamazons - different but talented!

WTH happened with Kevin James??? He said leading into his performance, "I have a very shocking, gory act - I can guarantee you, they'll be talking about it tomorrow." Shocking? Yes, considering how bad it was. Talking about it tomorrow? Yes, but for all the wrong reasons. Can't you buy those hand gimmicks in gag shops? I will defer to people who have seen his act outside of this show, but if that's all he's got to bring, I hope he winds up sharing a bus with deli-boy and boy-shakira - and it breaks down in the middle of nowhere!

I LOVED Piers' comment to deli-boy (paraphrasing), 'Don't take this personally, but you've got no talent and the personality of a pancake!" LOL - except that we all saw that all along and Piers is partly responsible for him being on that stage tonight anyway. How is he not supposed to take that personally??? :)

As amazing as it is that Butterscotch seems to be able to beat-box and sing at the same time, I can't help but think it kind of hurts them both when they are completely mixed. I tossed a couple of votes her way.

I didn't hold out a lot of hope for Julienne Irwin going in, but she seemed - even though the singing wasn't necessarily great - like she was certainly in the top half talent-wise tonight. I tossed several votes her way. And a couple for the Glamazons.

If there's any justice in the world, deli-boy is long gone. And can someone give me the short version of what the heck is Bollywood (or is that Bali-wood or something like that)?

His last name is escaping me now, but Robert, the singer with the sewer job, wasn't too bad, though "pitchy" at times. Sideswipe was pretty good, but not really my idea of entertainment. I did like the rope trick guy, but he's more suited for a rodeo than a million dollars.

I'll keep watching, but always kind of find myself wondering why. Lack of anything on at this point, I guess.

4. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Indeed, Kevin James tanked tonight in a BIG way. Pure, unadulterated rubbish!!

I was equally shocked by "The Hoff" tonight. Did he take a smart pill??? This is the most intelligent and concise that I have ever seen him in this show.

Overall though, none of the acts blew me away tonight..except for maybe Butterscotch. I felt the others were better in the earlier rounds. And I didn't think any of the singers sounded very good tonight.

Indeed...Simon...I mean Piers...telling Kashif that he has no talent is absurd. Regardless if you agree with him on that statement, he definitely did not hold that opinion in previous weeks...and "The Hoff" even called him on it! (See!!! Smart pill!!)

Kevin James.....Kevin...what HAVE you done to yourself!?! And you were actually surprised that the judges didn't like it?!?!?!

5. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Bollywood is the Indian movie industry, their version of Hollywood. It is 2nd in the world to Hollywood in size and profit.

Kevin James sucks. Both Kevin James. lol

Butterscotch. Dang. That girl is talented.

6. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    loved jerry told us all but guitar was from her mouth. But i hated that song...aren't there other songs more appropriate or upbeat?

i ff thru most of the other songs, if i want singing i will watch other shows.

oh that magician...why did he stop on the X? Aren't they allowed to continue? I think one other person had an X and they continued. If that was it and he was done though...shame on him, he could just have repeated the other show and made it further.

the dancing shirtless boys, i dont get it. What was so dangerous about what they did and it's like taking their life into their hands?

I was wishing that like (i forget the name of the show) that there would be something more exciting this year like bicycles running among raised platforms and over stuff etc. That was more entertaining and showed more 'talent' than some of these folks

7. Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005

that's what happens when you sover for a change! :D

I don't get the love for popscicle or pineapple or whatever that beatboxer's name is - no stage presence, I'm sure what she does is not easy for most people but hardly worth a million smackers.

8. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    There's a quality about her that seems quiet, humble, sexy and dangerous all at the same time. That in itself doesn't necessarily warrant the love, maybe. She does have some talent, but I see this whole thing as relative. Compared to "the industry" she'd be lost in the mass. Against this competition, she does stand out.

In the two years that this has been on, I don't think I've considered any of them worthy of a million dollars - though the edge on that is dulled considerably when you consider it's only $25,000 a year over 40 years.

9. Odds Bodkins

Odds Bodkins Doug's Dad

Jun 7, 2006
    The whole episode was subpar.

Butterscorch is the best, but the trumpet was pretty awful. The rest of it was top notch.

Kevin James had a cakewalk to the finals but completely blew it. Saving the best for last, eh? So, you have 3 good acts then? He acted like a cocky a-hole during the critique as well.

I thought Manuel was only good singing in espanol. Otherwise, the dude from Cincy blew him away.

Kashif? See you never and take Boy Shakira with you next week.

10. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    did anyone ever figure out the present value of the prize?

11. Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    around 350k discounted at 6%, first pmt day 0

12. Magister

Magister Fat, Dumb and Happy

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Anyway, as said before the word Bollywood refers to the Indian movie industry. They have a huge amount of movies coming out of Bombay every year. Most of the movie seem to be musicals with very elaborat dance scenes.

If you get a chance and find one on TV, they seem funny to American audiences. I just can't get into it. Some of my Indian friends have loaned me DVDs, but I just don't get it. Some of the women are hot, but they will insert a dance number during a murder scene... really odd.

13. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I'm pretty sure he stopped because that was the end... Quite a sad performance considering his other two acts were so amusing. As David said, there was absolutely "no payoff."

Nobody else struck me as $1 million winners either, but to be honest I fast forwarded through a lot of it. At least the annoying "no talent, pancake boy" had backup dancers and some pretty lights this time.

I don't think the Glamazons' singing is all that good, but then the judges act like it's marvelous?

14. Sir_winealot

Sir_winealot Seenyer Member

Nov 18, 2000
    I too don't like the Glamazons. Their singing is terrible...way off key. Close your eyes and listen to them and they suck IMO; as strange as this sounds, it's their look that's gotten them this far. Gotta hand it to them as far as that goes.

Butterscotch looked the best she has since the show started, and Piers comments on her not looking good?

15. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    Just the camo, I thought.

16. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    somehow i knew having a banker here would help me someday. Just please dont give me a 1099 for the value of the advice given ;)

17. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    I think if they tried just a teeny bit harder, they could have had a few more commercial breaks in this 90 minutes of talent.

18. MisterEd

MisterEd Very Large Member

Jun 6, 2001
    TV Land
    Commercial breaks? I don't see no stinkin' commercial breaks!