1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

America's Got Talent - 2018 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by nickels, May 31, 2018.

1. May 31, 2018 #1 of 341
    nickels

nickels opinionated dope

Jan 11, 2010
    Warrington, PA
    I didn't see a thread, so sorry if one exists and I missed it. Stop reading if you haven't seen the show yet.

My favorite acts so far were:
    Close up card magician. Dude was amazing!
    Little girl rapper. Sign her to a deal she is going to be a legit star when she grows up. How did she not get the golden buzzer?
    The final act. These aren't pros? That was like a Cirque du Soleil act. I almost stood up and clapped in my living room when they were done. Not usually a huge fan of this stuff but something about that act was just amazing to watch. Oh, that is why the girl didn't get the buzzer. Fine by me.

Weirdest acts:
    The four college grads doing the water fountain routine. I know it was dumb. I know it is a one time novelty. But still - HILARIOUS! and so gross. Reminded me of the SNL skit where they chew food and feed each other. Disgusting yet funny.

The scary girl magic trick wasn't the best, but I enjoyed how it was presented.

The trained cats. Are you kidding me? How the heck!?! Wow. Just Wow. Those aren't dogs people!!!

Looking forward to seeing less dancing, singing, and common stuff and more original performances. Great start to the season.

2. May 31, 2018 #2 of 341
    Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Flau'jae was on season 3 of The Rap Game, she didn't win.

Flau’jae - The Rap Game Cast | Lifetime

3. May 31, 2018 #3 of 341
    Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I generally don't like the group dance troupes. But that last group was so good I didn't FF through them as I normally would have.

The magicians don't entertain me like they used to. Especially since the producers cut away for reaction shots so much. I suspect some of it is so we don't see all the deck switches that the first guy did.

The cats were just crazy. I've never seen a cat do anything, other than be uppity.

Mel B looked sick to me. Is something physically wrong with her?

4. May 31, 2018 #4 of 341
    That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    No rule against "professional acts." At least one winner (Kenichi Ebina) was well-established in another country when he competed; the producers conveniently leave that part out of his storyline.

When did the auditions take place? Maybe she was "suffering" from the fact that three of the five Spice Girls were invited to the Royal Wedding (Beckham, Halliwell, and Bunton), and she wasn't one of them. Strange, considering that Mel B claimed at one point that the Spice Girls were not only going to attend, but perform at one of the receptions.

And I have a feeling that even if the card magician doesn't finish in the top three, he'll end up with the "wild card" spot in the Vegas show that Piff the Magic Dragon and Tape Face got.

5. May 31, 2018 #5 of 341
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Mel B has also been in the middle of a horrid divorce with claims of physical abuse - I have a friend performing this weekend at some kind of arts festival in Vienna and Mel B is one of the hosts.

I saw Beckham but I didn't see the other 2 at the wedding.

I enjoyed most of the acts - I fast forwarded through the rapper.
    I'm surprised they brought Tyra Banks back as the host.

6. May 31, 2018 #6 of 341
    KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    I know Melb has a lot going on in her personal life but I think mileage is just catching up with her. Shes at the age where all the crazy stuff she did in her younger days is coming home to roost.

7. May 31, 2018 #7 of 341
    jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    Still miss Nick Cannon.

Redoctobyr and MauriAnne like this.
  8. May 31, 2018 #8 of 341
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    I do too. Tara is just a poor version of him.

Love the act with the guys doing the fountain. I was LMAO! Didn't get the love for the rapper. Then again, that genre is just not my cup of tea.

Also thought the golden ticket winners were not deserving.

Redoctobyr likes this.
  9. Jun 1, 2018 #9 of 341
    Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    For the Golden Buzzer, it seems like a waste to me to use it on acts that don't seem to have a risk of going home before the finals. I would think they would use it on acts that are on the bubble, but there is something about them that a particular judge loves, so that judge pushes the button.

In episode 1 the hosts also pushed the golden buzzer for someone. Since it happened for us too, it really makes me think these things are scripted

10. Jun 1, 2018 #10 of 341
    MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Good to have AGT back again!

I love the cats...loved the card magician...loved the young female rapper...

I haven't finished the episode yet, so I might have more faves, but those are the ones that stand out for me so far... The water spitting trio was entertaining, but I am not sure I would reward that act with $1M... Not sure how much staying power they will have through the competition... I guess we shall see... :)

11. Jun 1, 2018 #11 of 341
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Pretty much agree with all of that, except the rapper girl. Just didn't seem extraordinary to me.

I love the card magician, Shin Lim. I've seen him before, on Penn & Teller Fool Us, twice, IIRC. He is absolutely amazing, and makes everything seem so effortless and smooth. You can find vid clips on youtube.

I've never seen cats trained by that, but definitely not a win-it-all act, IMO. Still, I agree with the judges in that I'd like to see 'em again.

The act that got the golden buzzer was amazing. There were little kids flying everywhere, getting huge air.

12. Jun 1, 2018 #12 of 341
    tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    I also liked the 60+ comedienne. The editing made it seem like she was going to flop but she was actually pretty funny. There was something affecting about her heartfelt reaction to the audience showing their love.

Mikeguy likes this.
  13. Jun 1, 2018 #13 of 341
    That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Originally, the Golden Buzzer was meant to "save" someone who didn't get three Yes votes. Presumably, they figured out that none of the Golden Buzzer acts were good enough to make it to the live shows. I see the current system as a replacement for when they brought everybody that advanced to Vegas, then told a group of them, "We know you're good enough for the live shows; you don't have to do your acts again here - we're sending you through to the next round."

I don't know if Golden Buzzers are "scripted" (presumably, by the producers) but I am pretty sure the judges (and the host) know who they want to give them to in advance - otherwise, they could either use one before they see an act they feel is more deserving of one, or save it just in case there's a better act, and end up not using it. They also have to talk to each other to make sure two of them don't want the same act.

14. Jun 1, 2018 #14 of 341
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    There was so much flying and of such a type that I thought that the fliers indeed might be mannequins. I wasn't absolutely convinced otherwise until the bows and follow-up discussion.

15. Jun 1, 2018 #15 of 341
    rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    The problem I have with the cats is the comment was made that it can take up to a year to train a cat a trick. So how many tricks can be left for later shows? It's not like they have years to teach the cats new tricks for the next show.

16. Jun 1, 2018 #16 of 341
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Except that, remember: cats have 9 lives. ;)

17. Jun 3, 2018 #17 of 341
    MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...
    That is "The Sacred Riana", among other names. She's already won Indonesia's Got Talent. I'm not big fan of mentalist acts, but her's is less about the trick and more about the presentation and I find myself enjoying it.

18. Jun 6, 2018 #18 of 341
    dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas
    I was only half watching this latest episode, but actually was watching the last contestant. It got a little dusty in the room.

It is very distracting with the changing outfits and hair. I like how The Voice does it where they just wear the same thing for each section, regardless of the night.

19. Jun 7, 2018 #19 of 341
    tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Some fun performances on this episode. Enjoyed the show by the yo-yo juggler Mochi. The family on the last segment was super sweet.

20. Jun 7, 2018 #20 of 341
    MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    The Howie with the pineapple on his head trick was pretty cool...and funny...

I wonder what sort of safeguards are in place for the audience and judges... OK, so maybe (and probably) the audience participants are plants... But what about Howie? What if there is a psycho that actually wants to make news by beheading a celebrity on a national television show?