American Idol "Top 7 performance show" 4/20/2011 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Kamakzie, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Music from the 21st century.

Group performance from the people eliminated so far this season. Wow Paul that was bad dude. No they didn't Steven.. Well maybe Pia but thats about all.

Scotty - "Swingin'" by LeAnn Rimes - Hmmm. It wasn't too bad but I don't think it was anywhere near his strongest performance. Kind of a weak sauce song.

James - "Uprising" by Muse - Whoa! It's the V song! I liked it but not as much as the original. Good enough to get to next week for sure.

Haley - "Rolling in the deep" by Adele - I liked it. I think its the best of the night so far. Does Steven realize he has women's lipstick on his cheek?

Jacob - "Dance with my father" by Luther Vandross - Oops slight mess up at the beginning. I thought he did good. He's my least favorite but he did well enough after the stumble.

Casey - "Harder to breath" by Maroon 5 - HAHA nice added touch at the end. I liked it. Probably one of his best performances.

Stefano - "Closer" by Neyo - I thought he did pretty good. Not his strongest but decent. Still might be in the bottom 3.

Lauren - "Born to fly" by Sara Evans - It was alright. All of these performances seem to be a little safe tonight.

2. snowjay

snowjay 40mph couch potato

Mar 26, 2007
    Almost in...
    Too much screaming by James. It's getting old, he needs to show more control.

3. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    My thoughts. :)

Scotty was mediocre this week. I agree with judges, I expected more from him.
    James was a. mazing. That is one of my favorite songs and I think he did it justice and then some.
    Haley was the best she's ever been.
    Jacob screwed up at the beginning or his earpiece was messed up. I hate to see that happen because he might be going home over just that.... otherwise, the song was okay but didn't really move me like it should have.
    Casey I thought this fit him pretty well. The ending was well played and cute. Was it as good or better than Maroon 5? No but it was really good! HA! Ryan with the beard was awesome. I so heart him.
    Stefano Well that wasn't doing it for me. I know he's trying harder to get the performance aspect down but I just didn't love it. The vocals were pretty damn good though. I'd have liked it 100x better not watching.
    Lauren She's really good but I just don't care about her one way or another.

4. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Control is not in his toolbox.
    The vocals lacked any semblance of either punch or power, both of which are vital to this song. The self indulgent screaming did not serve the song at all.

That song is 100% master class, and I think any inkling of folks enjoying it speaks more to a basic hunger for good rock than it does appreciation of James himself.

5. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    Scotty was great! Would love to hear him do a duet with John Anderson, whose 1983 version of the song I love.

James is the entertainer of the group!

6. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    James is amazing. Listen to the first run through of that chorus. It sounded phenomenal in the lower register and the octave up at the end added to the impact of the song. It not uncontrolled screaming like others are saying. He is hitting those damn high notes dead solid.

Casey was also great. Loved the kiss at the end. I think it was totally off the cuff since Jennifer would not look at him when he got so close.

James and Casey put on performances tonight. Everyone else sang songs.

Top to bottom this week in my opinion

James - see comments above
    Casey - see comments above
    Lauren - I really liked her song and she has a great voice.
    Hayley - Good performance - especially the second half of the song. (and looked great in that dress)
    Scotty - Safe choice performed well
    Jacob - Safe choice. Performed okay.
    Stefano - Always seems like he over sings every song. I did not like tonight's song.

I would be happy if either of my bottom two went home this week.

7. snowjay

Mar 26, 2007
    Almost in...
    I didn't say it was uncontrolled screaming.

Yeah, yeah, he hits all the notes... it's getting old, he's like a one trick wonder. He needs to show more control when to use that, IMHO he over does it and too much is not a good thing.

8. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    How awful was that opening number?! And did anyone get the Mark Balas connection?

He and Pia are dating.

9. Johnny Dancing

Johnny Dancing Closet Rebel

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    Seems like the judges got the memo to actually judge on rare occations. It was amusing that they criticized Scotty for doing the same exact thing they praise him for week in and week out.

My Top 3

James - Very fun. Points again for taking AI out of the mainstream. No way he sees the bottom three until there are 3 left.
    Casey - Made a song I absolutely hate into a song I really liked. Rocked it out.
    Haley
    - Just as good as Adele (without the Rollingstone Photoshoping). What's not to like?

Bottom 3

Scotty -Same old one note wonder with a dash of cornball.
    Jacob - The man-child sucked before and after the technical difficulties. Stop the whining and look in the mirror.
    Stefano - Doing his best to bring disco back.

Americas bottom

Jacob
    Stefano
    Haley

Going home

Jacob
    - Please?

10. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    Scotty - I thought it was a poor choice of song and not a very good top 7 performance

James - I really liked the song and performance. I'd say he's definately the front runner.

Haley - I liked it. I think she's made some great song choices lately. I'd say the best of the night for me.

Jacob - I'm biased, I just don't like him.

Casey - Good performance.

Stefano - I'm probably biased here as well. He comes off so cheesy it's hard for me to watch or listen to him.

Lauren - I love Sara Evans but not sure this was one of Lauren's stronger performances. She's in no danger though.

My Top 3:

Haley
    James
    Casey

My Bottom 3:

Stefano
    Jacob
    Scotty

Going Home: Stefano (although I'd be fine if it was Jacob)

11. CatScratchFever

CatScratchFever Guest

Apr 14, 2011
    Prescott AZ
    Wow, I could have written that word for word.

say what you want about James but he is the only one I really look forward to hearing and seeing what he does each week (much like Adam Lambert)

12. Cearbhaill

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    He wishes.

13. snowjay

Mar 26, 2007
    Almost in...
    I wasn't a fan of Lambert either. I did like James in the beginning but as Simon would say, he is becoming boring and predictable.

14. CatScratchFever

CatScratchFever Guest

Apr 14, 2011
    Prescott AZ
    I would agree with you but we'd both be wrong ;)

I liked Adam but James is more of a true rocker while Adam was more theatrical. But I get it that not everyone appreciates R&R.

15. Cearbhaill

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    LOL, likely I was rocking before you were born.

James IMO has just watched too many music videos and tries to throw too many elements into each performance.
    I am hot and cold on him- last night cold. Lower register had no breath support at all, and great stretches of it were flat. The screeching was flat and unnecessary as the choruses were good.
    The anti-establishment message did not go with uniformed drum corp.

And to make it even worse the costuming looked like he was going to a Halloween party as Lambert.
    Ringmaster tails, check. Cane, check. Enormous aiguillette, check.
    I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad..

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. CatScratchFever

CatScratchFever Guest

Apr 14, 2011
    Prescott AZ
    Drugs sex Rock n Roll - I grew up in the 60's :)

17. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I think I have come to the conclusion I don't care for ANY of the contestants.

The eliminated girls didn't sound too bad until Paul entered - OMFG. that was ridiculous.

Lauren - oh honey - you could win if you would get over your insecurities.

The only person even the least bit interesting is James.

and note to everyone - please stop telling these children they are artists. They are not. They are barely incubated.

18. mostman

mostman Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Boston
    Did you notice they killed his mic about 10 seconds in? Then they slowly dialed it back up. I had a mental image of a guy spinning a dial and saying to himself, "oh, wow, this guy sucks and needs to be muted!"

19. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    For me the winner was Haley, going home Jacob.
    Mrs. S. had James winning, Jacob going.

I am developing a little crush on Haley. She's scrappy.

20. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    Well played.