American Idol "Top 4 performance show" 5/11/2011 *spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Kamakzie, May 11, 2011.

1. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Its that time of the week again.

James - "Don't stop believin'" by Journey - I really wanted to like this but it was just alright for me. I still think James will be fine this week.

Haley - "Earth song" by Michael Jackson - I thought she did pretty good. Hey there is a Casey in the audience. Never heard of this song before. I can understand the judges points. LOL Haley getting kind of bratty with Randy. Hope the fans don't hate on her for that. :)

Scotty - "Where were you when the world stopped turning" by Alan Jackson - It was good. The usual Scotty, he will get lots of votes I'm sure.

Lauren - "Anyway" by Martina McBride - I thought she did real nice. Wouldn't say I was blown away though. She won this round.

LOL Haley not looking pleased..

Haley - "I who have nothing" - I thought this was much better than her first song. Very good. Finally getting some love from the judges.

Scotty - "Young blood" by The Coasters - Hmmmm... Not sure what to make of that. It was just alright for me. He seems pretty funny though.

Lauren - "Trouble" by Elvis - I liked her first performance better. This was good but not great.

James - "Love potion # 9" by The Clovers - I liked it. Not his best ever but quite good. I think Haley won this round.

I'm hoping for a James, Haley and Lauren top 3 but I hope Haley didn't hurt herself with the fans.

2. jeepair

jeepair Member

Apr 21, 2004
    And the Randy and JLo bashing to Haley has started. :mad:
    I'm glad Haley spoke up, she's fighting for what she wants. Good for her.

On James, it wasn't nearly as good as the original. Guess with Simon gone they never mention that anymore and I haven't heard anyone say anything about making the song their own.

3. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    I kind of think they want James, Scotty and Lauren in the final 3. :( I would like to keep Haley into the finals.

4. snowjay

snowjay 40mph couch potato

Mar 26, 2007
    Almost in...
    Well Lauren didn't hold back on the high notes tonight. Hopefully that boosts her confidence and she keeps going for it.

5. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Lauren redemption arc in 3....2....1 !!

6. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Wow, they were just brutal with Haley to the point where I want to vote for her. I questioned the song choice but she did it very well and I loved the choir.

But when push comes to shove, for round 1, I think James had the best overall performance but Lauren had the best vocal performance. She soared on that one!

7. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Not many people can touch Steve Perry's original vocals on any Journey song. James did a respectable job though.

8. snowjay

snowjay 40mph couch potato

Mar 26, 2007
    Almost in...
    I didn't get Scotty's second song.

9. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    wow - are the judges watching and hearing the same thing I am?

James - "Don't stop believin'"
    TOTALLY butchered it.

Haley - "Earth song"
    Wow Haley - didn't Justin Guarini teach you anything? - you are history - you NEVER talk back to the judges girl.

Scotty - "Where were you when the world stopped turning"
    Seriously dude?
    You were like what?
    7 or 8 years old on 9/11?
    cheesy cheesy cheesy

Lauren - "Anyway"
    SOMEONE ANYONE
    Please please please please tell this girl to stop throwing away the end of the song. Instead of delivering it to the end EVERY week - she chokes and says "thank you"
    Girl you P me O.

BREAK

Haley - "I who have nothing"
    EXCELLENT - best performance of the night - you may have redeemed yourself.

Scotty - "Young blood"
    Mr. Scotty - I too have kissed the cross around my neck and said a prayer that I never ever have to see or listen to you again in my life. And lucky me - I have a TiVo so I can fast forward you right out of my consciousness.

Lauren - "Trouble"
    Gurl - you so disappoint me.

James - "Love potion # 9"
    If James were chocolate he would eat himself.

14 days and this self-indulgent-fest is over. whew.

10. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Okay this week is some tough ranking. What isn't tough for me is to choose my personal low person on the totem pole this week...... Scotty. I ranked him in the bottom for each half of the show.

The other would be a coin flip if a coin had three sides. I ranked the two halves this way

Round 1
    Lauren
    James
    Hayley
    Scotty

Round 2
    Hayley - Apparently the comeback kid. Second week in a row she slayed with her second song.
    James - Really fun performance and a nice interpretation of the song
    Lauren - I think her voice got lost in the arrangement a few times.
    Scotty - It seemed especially hokey.

I have no idea what America is going to do though.

11. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    Wow - I COMPLETELY agree with your rankings. If the vote was based purely on this week, Scotty would be out. But it ain't gonna happen.

One of the girls is going home - I think it's gonna be a squeaker...

12. etexlady

etexlady Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2002
    East Texas
    I'm sick of these judges nit-picking on Haley. She has the most mature voice of the group and puts a lot into her delivery. What else can she do? They obviously want James to win.

13. Johnny Dancing

Johnny Dancing Closet Rebel

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    +1
    The only thing I can add is they all have up and down performances but why do actually judge Haley but not the others? Or did they know she had a hot second song and wanted some drama?

Maybe I am wearing blinders because she has become my favorite but tomorrow will be her turn to go home which will be very good for James.

14. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Except for Arnel Pineda. ;)

I almost fell asleep during Scotty 1st performance.

15. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Arnel is pretty damn good but I am a purist who saw Journey live multiple times in their heyday. Journey was my favorite group through most of my high school years. To me Journey is not Journey without Steve. They are still a good band and a talented group of musicians but it's just not Journey to me.

16. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk

That Alan Jackson song is very powerful as performed by Alan Jackson. It came out almost 10 years ago as his artistic expression of tragic event.

The fact that Scotty sang it this week really bothered me. I thought it was pandering, not to mention the fact that it wasn't even close to being as good as the original.

I honestly don't get why the judges think he is so great - I don't think any of them know enough about what great country music is to understand that he is just like a lot of other mediocre country singers. There is nothing special about him or his voice. The only reason he is popular is because the little girls love him - he is a vanilla teeny-bopper type - and not even that good looking compared to some of the others on AI that have preceded him.

I thought he was terrible tonight, but unfortunately, someone better than he will likely go home.

17. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    First time watching in 3 or 4 weeks. I thought performance of the night was James' second. He's a pro. The rest are amateurs.

Haley's first was terrible. Randy was right. Steven is crazy. Randy was pissed at Haley but he was more pissed at Steven for interrupting him. Channeling a bit of the guy who used to sit in that chair, which seemed like Ryan wanted to say but wouldn't. Hilarious when he was asked who won the first round and he named everyone except Haley. Her second was better. I liked the GaGa dramatic inhale.

Scotty was two different kinds of cheesy tonight. I agree with the word "pandering." it's exactly what he was doing. What was with his parents wearing political ad t-shirts? Lady GaGa is right - his mic technique is terrible.

Lauren still gives me the Anna Nicole Smith vibe. Doesn't want America to think she's evil because she sings a song with the lyric "I'm evil." Come on.

18. Roadblock

Roadblock New Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Randy hating on Haley and praising Scotty for a great song choice, then later saying round 1 was a three-way tie between everyone but Haley. Terrible. I guess he wanted to be Simon for a day, but he failed miserably.

Lauren was pretty good, but definitely straining on those high notes. And I agree about the way she ends the songs. I HATE the early cutoff + "Thank you" while the band is still playing. Very amateurish.

Liked James doing Journey, not so much his second song.

19. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Arnel Pineda can!

20. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    I would love nothing more than to see Scotty go home tonight. I'm sure he's a good kid but his vocals do not compare to anyone else left on the show. I have a bad feeling Haley is going to get the axe tonight. Not because she is the worst but because I believe the other three will have more votes. Hopefully I'll be wrong.