American Idol "Top 3 performance show" 5/18/2011 *spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Kamakzie, May 18, 2011.

1. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI

Advertisements

Go Haley! :D

Beyonce helps the contestants pick the first song.

Scotty - "Amazed" by Lonestar - I thought he did quite well. A little on the sleepy side for me though.

Lauren - "Wild one" by Faith Hill - She did nice. Not totally blown away or anything. It was good though.

Haley - "What is and what should be" by Led Zeppelin - OOOPS! When she was running up the stairs I was waiting for the flop.. I really liked it, not sure if the tween voter will understand it though which worries me. I think she took this round my a mile.

Jimmy Iovine picks the songs.

Scotty - "Are you gonna kiss me or not" Thompson Square - Another good performance. Better than the first performance I think.

Lauren - "If I die young" by The Band Perry - Lauren's pantyhose ripped during commercial.. lol. Well she did well but I wasn't blown away with it. Better than Scotty in this round.

Haley - "Rhiannon" by Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac - I like it but not as much as the first song. I'd give Lauren and Haley a tie for this round. Judges think it was Scotty...

Beyonce music video.

Scotty - "She believes in me" by Kenny Rogers - I thought he did well once again. Kind of another sleepy song for my taste. Almost nodded off..

Lauren - "I hope you dance" by LeAnne Womack - Much better than Scotty's last performance.

Haley - "You oughta know" by Alanis Morissette - HAHA PG version. Good no fall this time! Seemed a tiny rough at points. But over all she did good. She nailed some parts dead. I think Lauren edged her out this round.

2. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Wow, glanced at this thread before I started watching and was kind of disappointed as I remembered there would be no James tonight.

3. Kamakzie

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    True dat.

4. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Sigh of relief. :)

Nah, I like him.

5. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006

Advertisements

Missed James. Don't really care who wins now.

I'm going to say that Haley goes home tomorrow.

6. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    How did nobody pick Hayley to win round 2? In my opinion she took the first 2 rounds and I think the judges torpedoed her with that last song choice. Those verses are not really suited for a singing competition. Actually Laurens was the only good judge song choice.

Oh, and Hayley's dad plays a pretty mean guitar.

7. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Not often someone sings a song better than the original artist, but I think Lauren killed it on "If I die Young" So much better than "The Band Perry" Think it may be my 1st AI download.

Edit: No James... Best part of the night.

8. Kamakzie

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Probably :(

9. Kamakzie

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Just got my 50 online votes in for Haley. :D

10. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Scotty/Haley finale with Scotty winning. Even though I feel Haley was best overall tonight.

11. danielhart

danielhart Nerp Nerp

Apr 27, 2004
    What is and What Will Never Be on American Idol? Wouldn't have ever thought I'd hear that song on this show in a gazillion years.

If she makes it through next week, she should go for The Lemon Song. "Squeeze me baby, till the juice runs down my leg...."

12. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    Smeek alert - skipped the thread until I get my thoughts down...

Scotty #1 - Like it a lot - not much I can criticize.

Lauren #1 - Wow - so fast. Almost like one of those fast talkers that read the disclaimers on radio ads. Up tempo's one thing, rushing to the end is a bit too much. But I love her!

Haley #1 - When Beyonce said, "She didn't pick a pop song (nothing wrong with that - [my note]) or something that everyone knows," I thought, "Uh oh. Hasn't that hurt her in the past?" Big kudos for getting her dad to play - too cool. When they start at the top of the stairs I'm always a little afraid of a slip and fall - apparently she's got the coming down part right - it's going up that seems to be a problem! Oops! I personally don't think much of the song, but I'd never heard it before, either.

Scotty #2 - Good job, Scotty-Boy. I LOVED this!!! I could actually see myself buying some of his music.

Lauren #2 - This girl is absolutely amazing - especially at just 16! I hope she has a meteoric career (that doesn't flame out too fast). The performance was not flawless, but I thought she did a spectacular job.

Haley #2 - Was that a sabotage song??? She sang it well, but I was totally bored.

Beyonce video - What the H was that????

Scotty #3 - Bad song choice for Scotty. I thought he did just ok with it, though this is one of my favorite Kenny Rogers songs and no way can Scotty do it justice compared to Kenny. His worst of the night for me. "Baby lock them doors" - too funny!

Lauren #3 - Very well done, and GREAT choice for her. I will be VERY surprised (and more than just a bit sad) if she isn't performing next week for the whole thing.

Haley #3 - Not my taste and I really didn't know the song, but it sounded good.

Nothing against Haley, but I hope that Lauren and Scotty square off next week.

Time to scroll up and see what the more knowledgeable people have to say!

13. MLR930

MLR930 Mandie

Dec 26, 2002
    Rhode Island
    What's with the guy in the dog costume in the audience? lol

14. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ok, I stopped watching this season many weeks ago, but I happened to catch the recaps from tonight's episode. I have to say, my opinion hasn't changed at all... I don't think any of these three are all that good of vocalists - certainly none are what I'd call American Idol, and I don't see any doing anything of substance after the show.

Of the three, vocally I think Lauren is probably the strongest. Scotty still has that down-low country voice that got him onto the show going for him, but he doesn't really have a very melodic mid or upper range to his voice. And Haley? Sorry, based on what I heard tonight, there is no way she should still be in the competition. It sounded to me like they needed a rocker (particularly after James got bounced) so they are forcing her into that model... but I just don't hear it. Her voice sounds completely shot to hell... it's thin and raspy, and not particularly on key either.

Her performance of "You Oughta Know" was particularly painful. Pitch-wise, it was all over the map... and it sounded like she shredded her vocal cords with a cheese grater. Yeah, the judges were sort of right, the choruses were clearly the better part of her performance, but it was still overall really quite bad.

I wouldn't listen to these people at a free show at the state fair, to be blunt... and the show really needs a Simon to tell them they all suck. :(

15. Fahtrim

Fahtrim Member

Apr 12, 2004
    Missouri
    I completely disagree with you, for someone who only watched the "recap" you sure do have a strong opinion.

Haley only got to choose one song, and she got a stand ovation for it from the judges and it was the best of the night hands down.

The last song that you are complaining about from Alanis shouldn't have been picked for Haley, or probably for anyone. She struggled in the beginning, but I'd like to see even Alanis do that perfect in a live performance, it looks and sounds to be very very difficult to do those verses. The second half of that song Haley did awesome.

Lauren can't ever keep her breath, she drops off at the end of verses out of breath and pauses in odd spots. She does have a great voice, but she needs maturity and breathing lessons from a professional vocal coach, imo.

Scotty did pretty solid all the way thru, but nothing off the chart.

James was weaker than any of these three in vocals, but had the "put on a show" going for him.

Haley and Scotty should be in the finale, Lauren should keep growing her skills. If the judges were actually going to help the contestants this year, she may have been told about and fixed the breathing a LONG time ago. She had the exact same issue in her audition. Kid gloves I guess.

16. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    I'm a sucker for people who sing songs I like, and Haley sang 3. I thought she won the night, and I've never been a fan of hers. I especially loved the Zeppelin song. Of course, the Idol band's drummer almost ruined it for me. Almost. Luckily she brought in her dad to play guitar. I cringe at the thought of what the regular guitarist might have done to further ruin it.

I was bored with Scotty. Not much else to say. He's still a novelty act. Was it me or did Steven give him the exact same feedback about the chorus two songs in a row?

Lauren was good, especially in round 3. Just not great.

My personal preference aside, I predict Haley goes home tonight.

I still absolutely cannot stand Jimmy Iovine.

17. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    It's not a song that Alanis does that often anymore... after all, it's a pretty old song at this point.... but there are quite a few YouTube videos of her performing it flawlessly live:

And so on, and so forth... in any case, I'd say those put Haley's performance to shame. It's not even CLOSE.

18. MLR930

MLR930 Mandie

Dec 26, 2002
    Rhode Island
    Ugh Haley's Rhiannon was horrible!

19. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Scotty is so boring. He doesn't seem to be trying very hard. He just sits there and croons while I doze off.

20. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx