American Idol "Top 11 Performance Show Motown Night" 3/23/2011 *spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Kamakzie, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI

Advertisements

Here we go.

Casey - "I heard it through the grapevine" by Marvin Gaye - Wow that one note was really bad and rough towards the beginning and at the end. Overall though it wasn't that bad. Perfect pitch? Really Steven??

Thia - "Heatwave" by Martha and the Vandellas - Finally she didn't do a ballet. I think she did really good this week.

Jacob - "You're all I need" by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrel - First time I could stomach a Jacob performance. Very good this week.

Lauren - "You keep me hanging on" by Supremes - Much better than the last couple of weeks. I liked it quite well.

Stefano - "Hello" by Lionel Ritchie - Can't say it was my most favorite Stefano performance. It was alright. He can definitely sing.

Haley - "You really got a hold on me" by Smokey Robinson - I thought she did really well this week. Took off slow but she kicked into it.

Scotty - "For once in my life" by Stevie Wonder - Surprised that I liked it. Wasn't nearly bad I was expecting.

Pia - "All in love is fair" by Stevie Wonder - Started off semi-rough but she blew it up in the middle and the end. She is the one to beat this season. She does need to stop with the ballads like they say though.

Paul - "Tracks of my tears" by Smokey Robinson & the miracles - Alright I guess. I just don't dig this guy. It wasn't horrible. Definitely an improvement over the last few weeks.

Naima - "Dancing in the street" by Martha and Vandellas - I thought she did quite well. The dancing bit was a little odd but I will try and overlook that... She is still the weakest link when it comes to the girls.

James - "Livin' for the city" by Stevie Wonder - I thought he did very good, one of the best if not the best of the night.

2. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    Casey did well, I thought. Agreed with the judges comments.

3. Mikeyis4dcats

Mikeyis4dcats Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2003
    How the hell did Scotty manage to turn Stevie Wonder into a country song?

I'm not a fan of country to begin with, but for god's sake - show some range!

4. Odds Bodkins

Odds Bodkins Doug's Dad

Jun 7, 2006
    Naima: what the hell is wrong with this girl?

5. etexlady

etexlady Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2002
    East Texas

Advertisements

I luvs me some motown. I especially enjoyed Haley with the growly voice, Scotty with the country vibe and Pia of the beautiful sound. Pia needs to up the tempo next week though. Paul kind of has a Rod Stewart sound, not early Rod but Rod now with his worn out instrument. James is okay. Jacob and Stefano just don't do it for me.

6. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Hey Kami - that's a BALLAD from Thia, not a dance style!!

Bottom three for me this week, Thia, Stefano and Haley, with one of the girls going home.

All were pretty good. I'm certainly no country music fan, but Scotty was really true to his style and I agree that James was probably the best of the night.

7. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Randy: They're ALL really good tonight. REALLY?!! Thought this was the worse night ever on AI. At this point no one is a front runner. No one!

And what the hell is up with Steven? His critiques are worse than Paula's!!

8. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    My bottom 3:

Paul - just don't like him. AT ALL.

Scotty - that was simply painful. Needed some wine with that cheese.

Thia - meh

My top 3:

Jacob - loved it. His best ever.

James - I really like him. He needs to front a band, though - I don't see him as a "solo" act.

Lauren - she sounded great tonight.

The rest of the pack were all pretty good. Overall, a fun show!

9. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Well, first and foremost, in my opinion, every single one of them improved over last week. Like last week it is hard to try and rank the songs, but this week it was because everybody was pretty damn good. It probably helps that Motown has a lot more great songs to choose from than the era between 1985 and 1995 when they were born.

Clear winner of the night for me is..............James. This kid can sing. Judas Preist, Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder and did a great job with all of them. Ironically the Bon Jovi song was his weakest.

Pia started off slow but my mid song she was smokin' again.

I don't think anyone tanked tonight which is, I believe, bad news for Hayley and Naima because they needed to knock it out of the park this week, and while they were both good I doubt they elevated themselves out of the bottom 3.

The big question is who will be down there in the bottom three with them. I think Paul (I'm still not a fan and would not be disappointed if he was there) may have bought himself an extra week with a good performance tonight. Jacob and Thia I think are in danger of being down there.

10. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I am going to go against the grain I guess tonight. I am pretty much over Jacob, or maybe I am still mad at him for butchering Heart last week.

He is great when he is belting it out in the upper range. Interesting but not great when he takes it low. But his normal singing voice which we heard more of tonight does not interest me.

And hate him if you will but Scotty is going deep. Once again he is good at what he does and there is an audience for what he does.

11. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    Jacob gets gayer every week, I expect him to be in drag by the end of the season.

12. TomK

TomK Active Member

May 22, 2001
    Huntsville,...
    Will somebody please put that hound dog named Scotty out of his misery????? And by doing that it would put us out of our misery.

13. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I dunno. I'm so not feeling the vibe of what Idol is putting down this season. Frankly, it's been a struggle to even want to watch the show this year.

I'm just not really getting into any of these people this year. I mean, there are some talented singers, just none that really jump out at me and say future recording superstar. It's a shame, because I like the new judges, and I like that they have Iovine mentoring the contestants this year.

I just have a depressing feeling that this is going to be another year with a winner that fails to even go gold with their album.

14. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...
    It's how you can tell it is a good song, if you can take it into a different genre and get something good out of it. Stevie Wonder - Superstitious - Stevie Ray Vaughn. Nine Inch Nails - Hurt - Johnny Cash. Elvis - Can't Help Falling in Love - UB40.

Everybody was pretty good this week. Which is bad for Haley, Naima and whoever was 4th lowest vote getter as the standings are probably not going to change much. Without one crap performance, there wasn't much to sway the voters from their favorites.

15. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    I was bored with this season until tonight, but I'm a fan of the musical theme this week.

16. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    I must be watching a different show. I thought they all did very well. Hard picking a "bottom 3".

As for Tyler - I'm fairly certain he's been a bit high the past couple of weeks. Jennifer has been stepping in to cut him off more often.

Which has what to do with his singing?

17. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    I still think using Iovine and his posse of producers are doing more harm than good. These kids are being steered and influenced and not being allowed to sink or swim on their own. They are too malleable at this stage in their "career" and need gentle guidance, not being shoehorned into whatever category the producers want them in. At least in the past Ricky Minor and Michael Orland worked with the contestants to come up with the arrangement instead of handing them one.
    The kids are just so eager to succeed that they will literally buy anything Iovine trys to sell them, and their goals are not necessarily the same.
    Iovine is attempting to produce week by week iTunes sales via the Glee model and the contestants are needing to craft a stage performance that plays to viewers at home.

Brian Mansfield interviewed one of the UMG producers, Jim Jonsin. http://content.usatoday.com/communities/idolchatter/post/2011/03/jim-jonsin/1
    Here's an interesting part:

Obviously the UMG goal is to soak up as much money as they can during the show and immediately afterwards while the kids are are "hot", while Sony worked more towards taking a promising few and trying to develop a career. We'll see at the end of this season, but that's what I think.

18. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    My wife got home post live show and watched the show via DVR.

I only watch the goofy first few eps and give up after.

So I sat on the computer listening to these people "sing"...pretty much the whole thing was cringe worthy singing I thought.

The big black guy Steven hugged was pretty good and the flamboyant kid was ok..but a bit too screechy at times.

Other than that I don't think I could ever sit and listen to any of the rest of the peoples cd's if they ever made one.

19. rondotcom

rondotcom I Like To Watch

Feb 12, 2005
    Overall, I really like the singers this season ( sorry to disagree with all of you who think they're crap). Judging strictly by what I saw last night, It'll be Stefano or Haley to hit the bricks ... but I'm leaning Haley

20. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    My Top: James. He's very entertaining.

My Bottom 3:
    Stefano - OPEN YOUR FRIGGING EYES!!!!
    Pia - Ballad Queen. Boring. Take Nap. Doubt America has her here though.
    Thia - what happens when a balladeer goes up tempo? You get a trainwreck.

Thia goes.

Niama and her self-indulgent awkward dance should get her a ticket out too. She may be in America's bottom 3.