American Idol Season Two (ABC Version)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by danielhart, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Apr 2, 2019 #1 of 51
    danielhart

danielhart Nerp Nerp

Apr 27, 2004
    Hey just wanted to see if anyone else is watching - and also to give a heads up to fans from back in the day who gave up at some point - imo the current season is one of the better ones I can recall for quite some time and the current crop of singers (they are down to 20) is really very good - so you might want to give it another chance. I'd even suggest watching some of the earlier eps on demand or via Hulu, etc.

IMO the talent on this season of AI versus the Voice isn't close. I've watched the Voice for years but am just about done with it. It's become hopelessly formulaic and predictable with bland pop singers singing bland pop songs along with a handful of country artists (who I end up kind of preferring even though I would call myself a country fan in general). No real special talents at all this season whereas there are several on AI this year imo. And better music/song choices too.

SullyND and Qnapfan like this.
  2. Apr 3, 2019 #2 of 51
    stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I agree--the contestants are good and the judges are the best they've had in years. I knew nothing about Katie Perry before this and totally expected to hate her, but she's very good.

3. Apr 3, 2019 #3 of 51
    Qnapfan

Qnapfan Active Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Actually started watching due to a local article highlighting the island based hosting at Aulani ... but was pleasantly surprised by its rejuvenated appeal. Likewise, I think the Voice has better (more filtered?) contestants, but this new AI is to me a bit closer to America's Got Talent in the potential for originality department. Since the airing of the 3 hour special ... I've gone back to the series by way of Hulu.

4. Apr 3, 2019 #4 of 51
    cl8855

cl8855 woot!

Jan 2, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    haven't watched the last cuts, but I always love Hollywood week stuff, but they condense it way too much now, I want to see most of the solos. A handful of really excellent singers for sure.

Qnapfan likes this.
  5. Apr 3, 2019 #5 of 51
    stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I was kind of confused about the week in Hawaii??? Have they done that before? I FF a lot, so maybe I missed the explanation, but it seemed like they would have spent a lot of money flying everyone and their families and the crew over there. It didn't really upgrade the show that much IMO. :confused:

6. Apr 3, 2019 #6 of 51
    Qnapfan

Qnapfan Active Member

Feb 13, 2019
    IIRC they did it before a long time ago (like when the show first started) ... but probably did find the costs prohibitive. I think the only way it was justified was as an extended special due to 'exotic' local.

As to overall effect, I would agree with you for the most part (where the tiny holdout is due to the fact that I live here in the islands, and for locals, its just a kick to see the islands on national broadcast tv). I have friends who watch Hawaii 5-O, in part to see how the islands are being 'imaged' to the rest of the world.

Long story short, its the consensus among my friends that the Oahu in particular, is tweaked a bit to look better than it actually is (greener grass, less trash, minimal depictions of the homeless etc).

stellie93 likes this.
  7. Apr 3, 2019 #7 of 51
    Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I haven't watched this show in years, but I watched all of the performances of the remaining 20 the other night, and they were all just fantastic at what they did. I'd be hard pressed to pick a winner out of that bunch, or even to pare the cast down much. What talented people they are.

8. Apr 3, 2019 #8 of 51
    tcorning

tcorning Member

Nov 14, 2001
    South Shore...
    I don’t think they’ve done it before. I think that now that the show is on ABC (owned by Disney) they took it as an opportunity to show off the Disney resort in Hawaii.

Agree that the talent is really good this year. And for once they didn’t let through (m)any that didn’t deserve it. It was tough getting it down to just 20! A few of them are crazy good.

SullyND likes this.
  9. Apr 3, 2019 #9 of 51
    TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    IMO, this season is Alejandro's to lose!

Phenomenal talent.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  10. Qnapfan

Qnapfan Active Member

Feb 13, 2019

11. danielhart

danielhart Nerp Nerp

Apr 27, 2004
    He is great, and very well could win. But my guess for him is top 5, maybe top 3. I think that Laci Kaye Booth is a favorite to win as well along with Jeremiah Harmon (although being outted as gay and leaving his church will unfortunately cost him a net loss of votes, sad to say).

Ashley Hess is great but will be surprised if she wins. Should be top 5 at least.

Oh and Laine Hardy definitely has a viable path to victory

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

12. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I am so so bored to tears of Alejandro. His audition was amazing, one of the best I’ve ever seen. And then every week his other performances have sounded exactly the same.

Zephyr likes this.
  13. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I agree with the judges' choices for the Top 14. I really like Madison, Walker and Jeremiah.

14. cl8855

cl8855 woot!

Jan 2, 2009
    St. Louis MO

FYP

My 11 yr old and I really like Walker, Demetrius (holy crap that duet was amazing), Alejandro, Uche, and Ashley.

Alejandro just needs some coaching, you can't argue the talent.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  15. David Platt

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Totally agree, except for that part where you edited my post to make it look like I don't like Jeremiah. He's one of my favorites. Alejandro is insanely talented, but the judges need to take him to task for sounding exactly the same every week.

16. cl8855

cl8855 woot!

Jan 2, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    FMP -- how do you do a proper strikethrough?

17. Zephyr

Zephyr Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Next to Uche, I think Ragu is the best performer in the group... at 16... oh my. Just sayin'.... But here on out, it's a popularity contest and those votes are so totally jaded by the 16 year old girl voter bias.

Lots of excellent baladeers though! And looks like you could lauch girls basketball team from that crew... some very tall gals!

I've been out of Idol for at least five years and this show so far has maintained my interest... except for the usual preponderance of hard luck stories. I do not vote.

18. danielhart

danielhart Nerp Nerp

Apr 27, 2004
    Last night was nothing to write home about imo. Overall the performances paled in comparison to the last few weeks.

I think both Alejandro and Evelyn made mistakes in trying to "show a different side" on a night when only half of the performers will get voted through and they could each be in trouble and in need of being saved by the judges (which puts them at a big disadvantage going into the top ten).

Personally I enjoyed Laci Kaye Booth and Jeremiah's performances the most last night, and I'm confident they will each sail through.

Oh and I thought Ashley Hess was really good as well.

I'm curious to see how Uche does in the voting. I think he's one of those "love him or hate him" types for most people. I'm actually on the fence though.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

19. kettledrum

kettledrum Active Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Fishers, IN
    I would have liked to see Ashley Hess make it through, but otherwise I thought it seemed reasonable for the top 10 out of those 14.

20. David Platt

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, that was my feeling as well. I think Lionel should have picked her instead of Uche. I like Uche, but I think he'll get tiresome quickly.

LlamaLarry and stellie93 like this.