1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American Idol....Beware spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by SNJpage1, Apr 24, 2018.

1. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    After watching the last two nights of Idol I have created this to see what others think. I am not going to comment on the singers right now but about the show. It seems there has been a problem with the mic's. The singers are getting drowned out. Also all that video going on behind and under their feet is way too much. The singers are getting lost in the light show. I thought after Sunday night some one would have complained about both of these problems. I also hope that the judges start telling the singers what they are doing wrong. There has been too much gushing over them.

2. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I, too, have noticed the singers voices getting drowned out sometimes. I generally have been liking all the crazy stage lighting and animations they have, but I took exception to that last night with Ada's performance which was just way over the top with it all. I'm assuming (hoping) that now that we have a top 10, there will be more actual critiques.
    I was confused last night because at the end of some performances, the judges would sometimes have something to say, but sometimes they didn't go to the judges at all (except to show them clapping, and then it was on to the next performer or to commercial).

3. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    If they were already voted into the top 10 by America, there was no need for the judges to comment.

I’ve heard other complaints about the sound mixing. It sounded fine to me, but I’m just using my TV speakers.

4. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I do a lot of ffing , especially during the judges comments. The judges are ok, but 3 different people all making pretty much the same comments, with very few criticisms. We need Simon. ;)

I like the girl who sang the Simon/Garfunkle song and the roller skates song--I was surprised the country guy never heard that. (yes, I'm terrible with names) A couple of the others are ok. I like Caleb. Most of the girls are just too loud and high pitched for me, but obviously I'm no musician.

LlamaLarry and SNJpage1 like this.
  5. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Cade is my personal favorite. Biggest (and only) top ten snub was Mara Justine being left out. You can’t really argue she clearly deserved to replace anyone in the top 10 though other than Michelle Sussett. I think Mara is much more talented than Michelle but I also think the judges selected Michelle over Mara because she’s a hot Venezuelan who might sell much better than any of the other contestants to a coveted Latin American demographic.

6. Odds Bodkins

Odds Bodkins Doug's Dad

Jun 7, 2006
    I always start to get annoyed at this show about this time where the producer's picks are as obvious as the nose on our faces.

7. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    Yeah, I'm doing a lot of FF-ing, too. Especially if I both don't know nor really care for the song which there's a lot of. Judges aren't being critical enough. As mentioned in my earlier comment, I really do hope that changes. I remember Katy Perry guest judging in the past and she was often very blunt - sort of like Some, but with tact. This time not so much, so far.

I like Catie Turner, but I'll be really surprised if she makes it to the end. Personality-wise, that girl "marches to the beat of her own drum". Good for her, You go girl, all that, but I don't see the music execs thinking she's going to be able to sell. I thought her cover of Camila Cabello's "Havana" last night was terrific. I'm familiar with the original and I actually liked Catie's version better! I also like the Simon and Garfunkle girl, and Gabby Whats-her-name's cover of Little Red Wagon.

None of the guys impress me at all.

8. series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    I don’t know what show you’re watching, but other than Ada all of the girls are a dime a dozen. Don’t confuse a popular song with the contestant. A guy (or Ada) will win.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  9. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    I am hate watching the season. Katy is very annoying. I hate the format where the judges pick 4 of the top 10. the show has gone totally PC, just let America decide the winner, not the judges

10. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    Every judges critique:

Lionel: When I was starting out...

Katy: I am so special and you're not, tee-hee.

Luke: Duh.

It is really boring.

There are some good contestants - I like Maddie, Gabby, and Caleb - but my favorite is Catie. I just love her.

Apparently America agrees with me, because my top picks were all voted in by American to the top 10.

11. kettledrum

kettledrum Active Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Fishers, IN
    My favorites are Catie and Cade.

12. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Top 7.

I can't get passed how much they paid Katy Perry to be on this.

I was hoping for better from Ada - but she did kinda get screechy after a while.
    I think the show is suffering from the same thing The Voice suffers from - a skewed vote from the country audience resulting in mediocre country singers staying over better vocalists.

13. realityboy

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    And all the judges are returning for season 2. I wonder how much they’re getting paid for that.

This season shortened the part of Idol that I enjoy. I always preferred the live shows (fast forwarding except for performances and judge critiques). Now it goes top 10, top 7, top 5, finale.

14. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I do think Katie Perry is good as a judge--she's funny, but doesn't overdo it. Also like the shortened season. They could speed things up with way less life story stuff on the contestants. Seems like it's just as important to have a good sob story life as it is to have a good voice. :(

15. series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    It’s even more superficial than that and more superficial than The Voice. The lack of credibility of the results is what led to AI getting cancelled to begin with. The voting process degraded to the point of disproportionate votes from teens and pre-teens voting for cuteness over vocals. The demographics also create a handicap for anyone who appears ethnic or different. Jennifer Hudson finished in 7th place. The Voice at least has some voters back up their votes with money, although I noticed this season a top 10 iTunes song only multiplies each purchase vote by 5x instead of 10x.

16. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Not for 25 million bucks. I just find it irritating!!!

17. realityboy

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    They definitely got into a rut with the white guys with guitars toward the end, but Fantasia went on to win the season that had Jennifer Hudson so ethnicity wasn’t really a problem that year.

18. series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    It’s not a determinant but a handicap that leaves no room for error with cuteness and song choices.

19. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    Well, I am bummed Catie is out. I really loved her, but she had a bad night on her second song.

I don't get the Cade or Michael love.

Maddie and Caleb are my favorites at this point.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  20. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I enjoyed Michael early on, but he's starting to grate on me. I'm thinking Gabby is probably going to take it all.

LlamaLarry likes this.