American Idol 2/5/09 - Group Night

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by scooterboy, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Feb 5, 2009 #1 of 55
    scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...

Advertisements

No thread yet?

Ok, I'll start one just so I can say...

YAY - Bikini Girl is gone! :up::up::up:

2. Feb 5, 2009 #2 of 55
    Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I hate how our success can be influenced by others in the Group Round.

I lost track, but did they really send everyone home that forgot the words?

3. Feb 5, 2009 #3 of 55
    Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    I can not remember seeing someone who forgot the words make it through, but then again it is hard to really know who made it through, easier to know who was kicked out, especially the ones that made a big deal about it.

4. Feb 5, 2009 #4 of 55
    Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    Two name guy (odd I can't remember at least one) Norman?? made it through last night and he was dressed normal.

I would guess Adam becomes Top 36, at least I hope so :).

I liked the a capella/harmonies on the two guys that are friends (the one guy's wife passed away recently), great group there.

I knew bikini girl would cause drama and she did. No tear she when she left.

I don't think the group round really does get rid of people because of their group. Part of being a performer is being on your game regardless of everything else. Each person gets to sing themselves so if the harmonies are off in the background I don't think the judges will be kicking you off, but if you let that bother you and screw you up then that is your own fault.

5. Feb 5, 2009 #5 of 55
    Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA

Advertisements

But, I noticed that in the previews for next week, he's back to the shiny shirt and headband.

6. Feb 5, 2009 #6 of 55
    Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I think group week is really a test to find out "who can play well with others". Probably not even a bad idea given that the finalists have to put in a lot of hard work for group performances, the traditional Ford commercials, etc. It all involves a lot of interaction and direction from the likes of celebrity mentors, choreographers, producers, directors, ech other, etc. Regardless of how good a contestant's voice is, if they have issues getting along with others, start to melt down when things don't go their way, or they "only had 2 hours of sleep", then they shouldn't be on the show and the group sings are obviously to weed out these individuals.

That said, I agree that the failings of one or two contestants in a group shouldn't bring down the others. And I think judges did seem to be sensitive to that fact... expressing complete disappointment in a group's performance, but still letting one or two stay.

7. Feb 5, 2009 #7 of 55
    JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    Bikini girl was hotter in that dress then she was in the bikini, but she was sure a B$#@%.

8. Feb 5, 2009 #8 of 55
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    they need to make a show about this...about AI, they could make it a soap opera airing for the first few months of every year on soapnet or something

They doted over that one girl in the hotel room too long..the fake PCness was sickening...just let her in the room, you hate her lol

I'm definitely a bad judge of singing..some of those solos didnt even sound good to me but i guess the others were worse so they let them thru

9. Feb 5, 2009 #9 of 55
    BradJW

BradJW Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Houston
    I miss Rose.
    I'm rooting for the guy who lost his wife now.

10. timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    I don't know why, but I think the girl with the funny laugh is attractive. She really got emotional at the end though, but I'm glad she made it through.

11. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    There was at lest one-- in that first AWESOME performance of 'I Want You Back,' Asia even made a joke rap at the end about how she forgot her words but it didn't matter because the rest of the performance was so smooth. That entire group made it through.

12. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    But we didn't actually see her forget the words. In fact, I'm pretty sure we didn't see her sing at all.

13. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    FYP :)

I guess physically she's somewhat attractive, but that personality more than offsets it. Can't wait for her to be gone.

14. ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    She wasn't the hot one anyway....that goes to Casey Carlson (caseycarlson.net). Rumors have it she made it through day 2 but her web site only mentions making it through day 1 so far. The radio station here this morning wasn't sure but thought they caught a glimpse of her towards the end of the broadcast in the groups that made it through.

15. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I thought Osmond guy was good. Oh well. At least they didn't put him through just because of his family name.....

16. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    She's wacko, I liked the look the girl that kept calling her crazy was giving her when she got all emotional at the end.

17. timckelley

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    Yes, if you put Casey Carlson next to bikini girl, Casey has her beat in the looks department.

18. timckelley

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    The way she was acting, yes she may very well be wacko, and as such I bet she doesn't survive a real long time in this contest. But somehow I find myself smiling and chuckling when I hear her laugh. I'd like to see her last a bit longer.

19. jpwoof

jpwoof New Member

May 19, 2004
    San...
    still no sign of any joanna's performance. looks like they're keeping this in a hush hush. she's the most accomplished among the contestants.

[​IMG]

20. timckelley

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    Now that they've lifted the rule requiring equal amounts of men and women, I wonder which sex will do better this season.