American Idol 1/31

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by newsposter, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Feb 1, 2006 #1 of 11
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA

Advertisements

The same people that come back know they will be on the show again. it's the producers fault we have to see that crap the 2nd time over again. At least they aren't showing us the background of everyone who makes it, some they show at home don't wind up making it. I was getting tired of the predictability.

I guess with only 11 chosen last night, they really do have a quota they have to stay under. That old man needs to get his hair dyed...grey for an idol wont fly.

2. Feb 1, 2006 #2 of 11
    tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    That "old man" had a REALLY interesting sound to him!! Especially if you closed your eyes, because beyond the gray hair (which wasn't that bad) his mannerisms were weird. But his voice was unique and soulful and different. He's not a pop star, but I sure hope he gets something out of this!

3. Feb 1, 2006 #3 of 11
    DRobbins

DRobbins Putting things off

Dec 23, 2001
    I wonder if the grey-haired guy could hire a performance coach/trainer of some sort to help him get rid of those annoying mannerisms. I think those freaky movements while he sang were the only reason Simon didn't approve him. Or does the guy have no clue that these type of movements will prevent him from going any further in a musical career? (OTOH, they were not unlike Ray Charles' and Stevie Wonder's movements when performing. Perhaps dark glasses would be cheaper than a performance coach. :) )

--Debbie

4. Feb 1, 2006 #4 of 11
    loubol

loubol There is no spoon!

Apr 16, 2003
    San Jose CA
    How about some Just For Men? These people that say they wont conform to pop culture are auditioning for the wrong gig.

5. Feb 1, 2006 #5 of 11
    itsmeitsmeitsme

itsmeitsmeitsme New Member

Nov 13, 2003
    ohio

Advertisements

LOL....tell that one to Joe Cocker :)

6. Feb 1, 2006 #6 of 11
    robinreale

robinreale New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    MASSACHUSETTS
    He sounded great, but I definitely had to close my eyes. His facial expressions were a bit much for me.

7. Feb 1, 2006 #7 of 11
    KyleLC

KyleLC Unregistered User

Feb 6, 2002
    Sugar Land, TX
    I thought I heard him mention Joe Cocker on his way out, so that made me think he acted that way on purpose.

8. Feb 1, 2006 #8 of 11
    tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...

:D :D :D LIke the Blues Brothers! ROFL!

9. Feb 1, 2006 #9 of 11
    itsmeitsmeitsme

itsmeitsmeitsme New Member

Nov 13, 2003
    ohio
    Yes he did mention Joe Cocker. His expressions were strange but he could definitely sing.

10. ThomasDrew

ThomasDrew New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    You know, Simon hit it on the head when he said "this isn't just a competition to find the best singer". Frankly, he's exactly right.

American Idol is every bit about finding a highly marketable performer with star potential. Unfortunately, while this guy had vocal chops, he was so deficient in other areas that it simply couldn't be overlooked.

Personally, if I were he, I'd try to earn a decent living in a local or regional rock band or something....

11. Ntombi

Ntombi New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Bostonian...
    I loved the gray haired man! But then, I have had a thing for prematurely gray guys since a schoolmate started graying in high school. ;) But I did think he could sing, and I knew he was channeling Joe Cocker on purpose.

Thank goodness for TiVo! I watched the whole show in under thirty minutes, because I can't stand the byplay between Simon and the others and between the judges and the horrible singers!