American Idol 1/26 Spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dthmj, Jan 27, 2011.

1. dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas

Advertisements

It's more playing in the background than me actually watching it, but I watched the last segment - and I cried.

I don't think he had a very good singing voice - but what a story! I doubt he'll make it very far in Hollywood.

2. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I thought his voice was great and maybe I'm biased by my love of the song too. I usually don't get drawn into the sap stories but my God, they have a winner on this one. What kind of man..... no take that back, what kind of a PERSON would have stayed after all that. I know it's easy to say we would but in my oh so cynical opinion, I'd guess the truth would be more like 5% of the human population would have what it takes to stick it out and not run.

Anyhow........

My favorite so far of the entire start of the season was the Dangerfield kid that JLo said was her favorite too. He really did feel the music as he sang and that falsetto was aaa-mazing.

3. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    The story was even more heartbreaking since they showed a video of her before the accident.

4. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    ‎"What kind of guy would I be if I walked out when she needed me the most?" - Chris Medina :up:

As far as his singing it wasn't great but it wasn't horrible. Also to me it seems he wasn't audition to win and be the next big star, but for her as he said something about making it to Hollywood would make her so happy or something along those lines (can't find the quote).

Also last night even at 1:30 AM ET Chris Medina was trending on Twitter.

5. firerose818

firerose818 Now 65 pounds less! TCF Club

Jul 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA

Advertisements

Yep - maybe it's my hormones, but Chris's story had me crying.

I liked the accountant who made it through, and a few of the girls had nice voices but no one blew me away.

6. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    According to interviews in EW, they are sure they know who will win. Apparently one audition was so far above the rest, there's no question! Now, we've heard that before, but it'll be interesting when we get to the later rounds (final 12 or whatever it'll be this year), to see if there really is one standout.

7. wendiness1

wendiness1 WiiMomma

Jul 29, 2005
    Idunno
    Knowing families that have children who are severly disabled, there's so much more to being a caregiver than you can ever imagine, or the camera can ever show. Bless him for staying but a part of me wants someone to give him encouragement (permission?) to move on with his life.

The judges calling for her to come in was a bit of showboating (and was probably encouraged by the director) but they handled it well and Steven Tyler was particulary sweet: "He sings so beautifully because he's singing for you" or something similar.

8. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Scripted in my opinion. The judges know the back stories (when there are any) and they are clearly prepared for certain contestants. Personally, I tune in for the entertainment value. While I certainly empathize with those who are suffering, I prefer not to know the personal stories of the contestants. I think the response to Danny Gokey's situation has pushed the producers over the top - now they want a Danny Gokey story in every 2 hour audition show and probably several throughout the finals.

I realize I may very well not be in the majority and I don't wish to offend anyone else, but all I care about is whether or not they can sing. You want to tell one sob story - okay. But please, enough already.

9. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    I can't imagine anyone not crying at that story. Just remembering it makes me a bit weepy.

10. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    I sort of liked the guy with the deep voice singing country although I can't see him doing anything other than country.

11. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I never cry at movies or tv shows and usually get really annoyed at Idol and the sob stories every year...... this one even got me. Bah!

12. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    He was just an okay singer. He seemed charming though.

13. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    First, I cried.

Then I thought "So Tyler's stock just went up everywhere."
    Most folks don't know quite how to approach someone in that condition or are too concerned with how much they are understanding or speak to them like they are a child. Steven just dove right in and held her and spoke directly to her saying things so positive and intuitively right.
    I know I was impressed.

That said, I hate when they bring in these backstories- way too Gokey-esque and I felt overly manipulated.
    To wheel her in like that without it being clear that she had the capacity to consent was almost ghastly IMO, but then Idol always has loved a good sob story.

I have since learned that she is quite capable of clear thought, but I don't think they should bring her into it ever again- that was way enough and just uncomfortable.
    But jeez, I'm wearing a seatbelt and a helmet every time I get into a car for the rest of my life.
    I'm just assuming a car- I just heard him say "in an accident", so don't really know.
    But ugh tragedy.

Another thing that I liked about Steven is even while watching the clearly "not talented" people, he manages to keep a straight face and look at them as if they are real people, then find something... anything positive to say before turning them down.
    Meanwhile Randy and JLo are snickering and pulling faces during some of the auditions.
    Exceptions to this, yeah, but by and large he is respectful of people's feelings.

Don't know names but I loved CPA guy and Dock O' the Bay girl.

Begging/crying people should IMO immediately be dismissed by reason of emotional instability.
    Idol is a wringer.
    Show business is a wringer.
    Those without fortitude need not apply.

14. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    ^ Yes, Steven Tyler has depth beyond anything I could ever have imagined. I was already impressed with him before this and now I have a new found respect and adoration for him as a person.

15. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    +1

16. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Depth? Well, if you set the bar low I guess anything coherent that comes out of him seems like a shining achievement.

17. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    He's a famous rock star. Of course the bar was set low. Duh.

18. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    THIS! :up::up:

And I LOVED Hippie Dad-(He's not a HIPPIE! :mad::mad:) He loves the Milwaukee Braves-but didn't they move? (In 1965! ;):p)

19. ahartman

ahartman Space for Rent

Dec 28, 2001
    Cleveland, OH
    I can't get past his skeevy lecherous comments to the young girls. I just feel dirty watching the show when he leers at them.

Overall, the judge panel isn't working for me. There's no tension - anytime one out of the three have said no, it's for a reason, mostly to let the person's 'idol' put them through.

There have been a handful of really good singers, but a ton of mediocre talent has gone through. Not sure I'm going to stick with Idol much longer.

20. wendiness1

wendiness1 WiiMomma

Jul 29, 2005
    Idunno
    I agree the back story on these people should not be introduced, but we all know it will be because it makes for good TV.

I also find Steven's leering a bit much but I also have to note a few times now when he has quietly (not for the benefit of the camera) told Randy not to tell people they're no good. I think Randy went easy the first week but is now trying to fill Simon's shoes but, frankly, he just isn't nasty enough.

And I agree that weepers and beggars should be kicked out. If I hear one more say "This means everything to me" I might throw something. Obviously, it means a lot to EVERYBODY. LIkewise the "all my life", which doesn't really impress me much when it comes from a 20 year old.

Let's also stop showing the poor losers cursing, slamming walls or expressing themselves in some other inappropriate manner. I'm not sure if they ramp it up for the camera or think it's okay since previous seasons have given airtime to such behavior. It's tiresome and sets a poor example.