American Horror Story Season 2 Speculation & Spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Zevida, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I didn't feel I could contribute well in the season finale thread without addressing the speculation and discussion of what is happening next season on the show. So this thread is to talk openly about what's planned for the next season, to include spoilers and speculation.

According to this article, each season is going to "reboot" - a different location, characters, even genre - he hasn't ruled out anything except vampires.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sho...sses-the-future-of-american-horror-story.html

A few interesting quotes:

" 'Next year on the show — every season of the show — will be a different haunting,' series creator and executive producer Ryan Murphy said, speaking to press Thursday about the finale. It will also bring a different home (or building) to haunt. A new set of characters, too. And, just as the debut demonstrated, each subsequent season will have a beginning, middle and end."

" 'But I think as you see in the second season, some of them will be returning. Aspects of the show, mysteries and love stories will all be there in the second season, albeit with new actors and characters.' "

" 'Some of them will come back,' Murphy said. 'I'm in talks with several of them. There will be familiar faces ... but they will be playing completely different characters and creatures and monsters.' While Murphy wouldn't reveal who might be returning, he said more details on the cast and storyline are likely to come in February."​

I have to say I find the season finale in the light of the above to be pretty unsatisfying. The jump ahead three years and showing the murderous evil toddler left quite a cliffhanger. I guess it is not too dissimilar from other horror stories that leave a menace when they end. It just felt like they'd set-up a lot with the finale (Tate wanting absolution and/or hanging out with Ben and being obsessed with Violet; the demon child; the conflict between the ghosts in the house) that we're kind of left hanging.

I'll be sad to lose any of the lead actors in the show. The lead four (the family plus Constance) all did a great job - hopefully they will return next season.

I do suppose it is better to have tight 12 episode arcs rather than trying to take a formula and drag it over over the course of several seasons. Rather than complaining about how the show should have ended years ago, we'll have something fresh each season. Like the opposite of Heroes.

2. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    There's so much more to the horror genre then just haunting, so I really hope that if the show is indeed going this route then it is going to go all-in and deal with more than just ghosts. Especially if RM is sincere and stands by his statement (two things he's not well known for - he often drops misinformation in interviews) that "there are no rules in ghost world." If there are no rules, trying to figure out the season as it goes becomes significantly less fun, and so I hope the show stops exploring ghosts. There's something to be said for the "make it up as you go - plot what's cool, consistency and continuity be damned" style of storytelling (a la Ronald Moore and BSG), but ultimately that's not nearly as satisfying to me as storytelling where the creator crafts a story within a consistent framework of rules. Let me puzzle out the rules for myself, based on what's shown, but don't show me inconsistencies and then hand wave them away saying "there are no rules" - that's weak.

3. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I am glad they are doing it this way. With Nip/Tuck RM simply ran out of story by about the third season. Yet, he continued to drag the series on for 3 more awful seasons. There were certain aspects of Nip/Tuck in this show (i.e. "the patient of the week). You just can't keep that going forever.

They had one fantastic season and now they will continue with a different "Horror Story" next season. I like most of the actors and wouldn't mind them sticking around. I hope they find a way to keep Jessica Lange playing Constance.

Maybe they will show us other houses (or buildings) on the Murder Tour.

I also hope they can keep Christine Estabrook playing the Realtor. She was excellent!

4. Zevida

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    The article is a little confusing about whether they will stick with haunted houses - which to me means ghosts - or move into other horror dramas. For example, a monster or serial killer story arc. Those aren't haunted houses, but at valid horror stories.

I've never watched anything from this director before. And I'm usually not a fan of horror, but to me this was more like suspense and thriller than straight horror. Of course, I've still only seen the second half of the season.

5. Sacrilegium

Sacrilegium that weird guy

Dec 14, 2006
    It'll be like a horror Black Adder

6. kimsan

kimsan underling

Jan 23, 2002
    Greenbackvil...
    That WOULD be a cunning plan :)

7. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Well, this certainly addresses my concerns about how this show is going to be able to survive past one season. Sadly, we are never going to see the characters that I fell in love with again.

8. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Not necessarily true. That article quotes creator and exec prod Murphy saying "I love those characters, and I sort of mourned them. I will miss them. But I think as you see in the second season, some of them will be returning..."

9. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    "but they will be playing completely different characters"

10. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    :confused:...which is completely opposite of what he said in the quote I posted...

11. Zevida

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    The quote is really confusing, because he says both things.

I love the characters.
    They will be returning.
    As different characters.

I think what he meant was that they = the actors. Because later in the story, he says none of the characters will return:

"some of them will be returning. Aspects of the show, mysteries and love stories will all be there in the second season, albeit with new actors and characters"

He just doesn't explain it really well, but I don't think we're going to see any of the same characters, just maybe some of the actors in new roles.

12. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    RM said in an interview that there are hints to next seasons location in the last three episodes of Season 1. Any ideas?

13. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I believe you're correct....same actors (some of them) -- different characters.

If next season is as good as this season, I'm in...

14. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    Florida was mentioned a few times (Viv's sister lived there, I think). What American horror stories are native to Florida? I live here but can't think of anything in particular. Maybe some sort of swampy Everglades backwater setting would lend itself to a good horror story. Or maybe the show will visit the horrible last few seasons of Nip/Tuck :)

15. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    I just hope they really mix it up next season. Can't be the same type of ghosts/house/rules. Like you die here you are a ghost, etc... Hopefully they realize this and mix it up enough to ensure we don't know how it all works on episode one hence taking out all the mystery.

16. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    The last few horrible seasons of Nip/Tuck took place in LA.

I actually wouldn't mind if they used a Nip/Tuck character or two as long as they do horrible things to them and they don't stick around long. I wouldn't mind seeing Julia get what she deserves.:D

17. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Hints:

Bob Newhart Show so that could mean "Shining" type of Inn horror or a setting somewhere in Maine (or both).

Mental institution - always a good background for horror.

Prison is another possibility. Florida too...

It could almost be anything which generally makes for good horror.

18. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    Now that Asylum is underway, I'm bumping this thread as a place for us to talk about it. To date, we've mostly been using the thread for S02E01, but I'd hate if any of our comments there wound up spoiling things for new viewers.

So here's one general question I have:

I get that the two seasons are independent of each other, and that many of the same actors have returned but are playing completely different roles. But that doesn't necessarily mean that Briarcliff and the Murder House are in two separate universes. Have there been any easter-egg connections you've spotted between the two, so far?

Also, AHS has been picked up for season 3. So far I've heard that at least

Jessica Lange
    is returning.

19. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    "Many of the same actors"....???

Only Jessica Lange returned as far as I know from S1.

20. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Wow, SOMEBODY isn't paying attention.

The naughty nun. The alien abductee accused of killing his wife. The shrink. The lesbian reporter. All had significant roles (i.e., not just guest appearances) in S1.