1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American Horror Story: Apocalypse **Spoilers**

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Tony_T, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    The 8th season of American Horror Story premiered on FX.

Supposed to be a crossover of S1 (Murder House) and S2 S3 (Coven).

E1 was really bad. Not sure where their going with this season.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  2. rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    I enjoyed the first 15 minutes or so. After that, it made little sense based on what they set up.

3. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I still have all of last years' eps sitting unwatched on a DVR.

4. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I was so excited in that first 15 minutes thinking the entire show was going to be like that.
    Then they got to that complex and it was all downhill from there - with one exception: JOAN COLLINS. Her one liners were slaying me.

5. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    So far I don't see any connection between the first and third seasons (I don't think Coven was season 2 as the original poster stated) but I'm liking it.

6. OhFiddle

OhFiddle Active Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Chicago Burbs
    I was a little disappointed too that the early part of the show didn't last longer. I'm a sucker for apocalyptic stuff. This quick jump past all that was kind of like what happened with Fear the Walking Dead. People were hoping it would show more of the early outbreak stuff and then they just jumped ahead. I imagine it is a lot more expensive to coordinate and shoot those types of scenes with cityscapes and lots of extras.

I initially thought this season was going to be "Motel". Were they throwing out false titles early or am I just crazy? Then I heard it would be a crossover between seasons one and three. When I made the season pass and saw the cover art for the show with the baby and the hand over it I immediately thought of the woman being pregnant in the first season. While watching this episode I thought maybe Sarah Paulson's character was the witch from the Coven season, but I didn't remember what she looked like then. Maybe it was just the way she was showing them around the outpost or something. I looked up the character name and it was not the same, but that led me to a bit of a spoiler about how they are connected at this link.

'American Horror Story: Apocalypse' Premiere Welcomes Key 'Murder House' Face

7. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Ditto. I used to love this show, but watching it started to become a chore around season 6. That's why I never even bothered with season 7. Was it any good?

8. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I thought 7 was the weakest of them all. It was very political, but not in a thoughtful way...I suspect they were reacting to the 2016 election in real time.

Tony_T likes this.
  9. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I don't know if I watched it or not. Probably not. The last one I watched had Gaga in it, but I didn't even finish that one. I'll probably just delete whatever season it is that I have recorded. As you said, it's become a chore.

10. OhFiddle

OhFiddle Active Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Chicago Burbs
    There are aspects of all the seasons that I liked. I enjoyed the last Election one, while the Roanoke season seemed to just drag on. I think they all kind of have a problem with trying to do too much in one season and throwing a bunch of different subplots into the mix to act as filler instead of fleshing out one main theme. I think it could be a much stronger show by having less episodes per season and a tighter story focus. I think it suffered a bit without Jessica Lange too, she was always so good.

11. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I haven't watched the first ep of the new season yet, but am wondering - Back when S01 came out I was watching and early on, my Tivo screwed up and didn't pick up a couple of episodes. Time got away and I didn't notice it until it was too late to see them, so I stopped and came back for S02, and have watched the show ever since.

So, my question is this - I do have the discs for S01. Should I watch that before watching this new season? Or can I know what's going on if I don't?

12. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The connections (so far, at least) are minor and extremely oblique...I didn't catch the "big one" until I read the article linked above, and even if I'd re-watched it last weekend I doubt I'd have realized that was him.

My impression so far is that "this is a crossover between Season1 and Season 3" is more marketing gimmick than meaningful reality.

sharkster likes this.
  13. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Thanks, Rob. I shall read the article and put S01 on hold (again - geez, how many years has it been? :oops:) so I can go ahead and watch the current season.

14. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Episode 1 was the first of any AHSs that I've watched. Eh. They should have killed the two "host" ladies before the end of the episode.

15. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    If you watch S1 you'll see that this once was a good show :)
    IMO, it's been downhill after S3 (but I'll still watch this season)

tim1724 and SoupMan like this.
  16. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Yeah, I have noticed that some of the seasons I haven't liked so much. There was one that I ditched on and I guess it was so bad that I don't even remember what it was about. Or maybe I'm thinking of American Crime or something like that. yikes!

Anyway, I thought S01 really did seem like it was going to be very good and was bummed when my stupid Tivo dropped it by about the third episode. That was why I acquired the discs for myself and then have yet to watch.

So much tv, so little time! :D

17. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I laughed at this question because most of the time with AHS, I have no idea what is going on...

For almost all the seasons the show usually starts off brilliantly and then fizzles out as it goes along and then it becomes an obligation. So far for this new season (for me) - it fizzled out in the first episode...

18. tim1724

tim1724 Active Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    Murder House was great. Coven was ok. Hotel was pretty good.

I haven’t particularly enjoyed the rest. Roanoke was truly awful. Most seasons would have been greatly improved if they were cut down to 5–8 episodes each.

19. rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    When it was announced as an anthology series, I was thinking of something along the lines of The Outer Limits. I think it would have been better as one episode per story instead of dragging them out through whole seasons. :(

When they first announced a spinoff series for TWD, I was hoping for something like TWD:Chicago, TWD:Miami, TWD:paris, and so forth. I think it would have been more interesting to see the outbreak in different locations. Even an "anthology" series where each season dealt with an outbreak in a different city.

20. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    I’m in. Joan Collins — didn’t know she was still alive but glad she is in this one.