American Horror Story 12/21/11 "Afterbirth"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, that may just have set the record for most things I didn't see coming in an hour of television...

Really curious to see where they're going next year! What a show...

2. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    What the hell did I just watch.

3. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Wow! Holy crap!

It takes some real balls to kill of the entire main cast in the first season. They didn't really leave any loose ends and I love series that end each season like a series finale. I know it's already been picked up for a second season but if it hadn't, that would have been a totally satisfying ending.

I am not sure I loved the idea of the family having a Merry Christmas around the tree. Who is paying the electric bills anyway? It's very out of place for a dark show like this. The Harmons aren't exactly great people and don't really deserve to be happy.

Luckily, Constance's grandson totally made up for it! I did not see that coming at all. I was actually expecting a "mongoloid."

The best lines of the show go to Christine Estabrook. I LOVED the way she treated the Hispanic couple. I am actually beginning to wonder if she has some connection to the house. At the very least, she is making huge commissions every time it's sold.

I'm so conflicted over whether Tate really is a bad person or just crazy. It was kinda nice (in a twisted way that only Ryan Murphy could come up with) that he wanted to kill the Hispanic boy so Violet wouldn't be alone. I really want to like Tate.

4. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Great Show! I figured Ben was dying because two weeks ago Violet's death was revealed and last episode Vivian bit the dust so it made sense this was his time. But I didn't expect it in the first ten minutes! So what next? I thought it was cool that the Harmons achieved happiness in death that they could attain in life so I liked the Christmas tree scene. The show has certainly set up an interesting premise for next season as the Harmons likely deal with issues of the many pyscho ghosts.

As to wheither Tate is good or evil... well he's Papa to baby Dexter. Tate's locked into an infactuation with Violet and will do anything to get her back, but does that make him good? I mean he raped Violet's mother. Tate is most compeling trying to be good, but if AHS has a devil it's either Tate or his child. Probably Tate 2.0 is a purer form of evil and maybe next season is Tate's struggle between his love for Violet and his instinct to perform bad acts.

5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    During that scene, I thought "Oh! He's still hanging in the foyer and this is his dying fantasy, and then he'll be revived!"

Which could have sucked, but you're right, the happy family scene didn't ring true. I suspect they're setting us up for something.

6. Joules1111

Joules1111 Not Drawful

Jul 21, 2005
    Blech. I didn't like it. Happy family Christmas scene. Good ghosts vs the bad ghosts. Slutty dead maid turned Godmother to ghost baby.

The only redeeming scene was the the end with the evil 3 year old. I wonder if that is the first nanny he's offed - grandma did not seem particularly shocked.

7. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Undoubtedly, but I still liked the perspective of death being a second chance for them. Ghosts seem to be obsessive with whatever they missed in life and it is accurate that thoughout this season that's what each wanted.

It's the "realization phase" that will rock the Harmons... like all Tate ever wanted was to truly love someone, instead of continuing his existence being evil.

8. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    What a great first season - I loved this show, beginning to end.

I hereby give myself a nice pat on the back for the following post I made on 10/17, in the thread for the pilot episode:

This really was a great wrap-up to the story of the season; I don't feel the need to revisit the house again, but neither do I want a whole new cast for season 2. So I hope that season 2 is an entirely new story in the horror genre, using the same actors in completely different roles. That would be pretty cool, I think. The actors get to reinvent themselves season after season. I can't think of a recent example of that being done on television, though it it of course the way things used to be with Shakespearean plays - troupes would play different characters from play to play.

9. tjarboe

tjarboe New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I love this show and hope that next season is just as good.

10. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001

Yeah good call and having the actors in different roles would be interesting.

11. Sacrilegium

Sacrilegium that weird guy

Dec 14, 2006
    Buttholes Surfers is a good band, just for the record :D

12. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    They were all in love with dyin', they were doin' it in Texas.

Or California in this case.

phox

13. billboard_NE

billboard_NE North Shore MA

May 18, 2005
    What a fantastic run, one of my must watch shows.. Always watched on the same night it aired.

Not a lot of traffic here on the show, but it was also not that complicated of a show.

This episode did show the exterminator ghost, I am not sure his part needs a back story, or an explanation on what happened to the body.

Also I loved the way Constance described to the police that Violet was gone, and they showed her body, but she was telling the police that Violet had run away with the baby. Had to rewind to figure out that the director was telling us one thing and showing us another, well done.

14. speedcouch

speedcouch Geekneck

Oct 23, 2003
    North Carolina
    The idea of the Harmons chasing the hispanic family out of the house just reeked a bit of Beetlejuice to me.

Not really sure how they will sustain a second season with them all being dead, but I guess we'll see...

Cheryl

15. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I'm not sure I followed the realtor's continued motivation to sell the house. With Ben and Viv, it was that Viv had the realtor over a barrel because she hadn't disclosed the house's history and so Viv blackmailed her into helping put the house back on the market. With Viv and Ben gone, she still wanted the listing? Why the panicked "I have to sell this house!"? Couldn't she just walk away?

16. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
  17. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
  18. JammasterC

JammasterC giggty, giggty

Aug 9, 2005
    Southern, NJ
    What a poor ending to a show that started out so captivating.
    Actually, the last 2-3 episodes started to lack.

I'm disappointed in the direction the show went, with some big mess of a finale.

19. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I'm starting to wonder if she's not a ghost herself. The new husband's comments about her being smoking hot set off some alarm bells for me-- reminded me of the whole "men seeing Constance as hot/women seeing her as she really is" thing. Have we ever seen her outside of the house?

20. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Yup she was on the tour bus with Vivian.